Sun newspaper writes about Witness paedophile scandal

by jhine 21 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• jhine
    jhine

It isn't much, only a small piece on page 23 of Sunday's Sun newspaper . For our Colonial cousins the Sun is a highbrow , well respected national daily newspaper , well national daily anyway . On Sunday it printed a SMALL article about what it describes as a Jehovah's Witness paedophile whose sex crimes had been hushed up by his church . The chap had admitted to elders when confronted by them that he had abused a girl . However three Elders at the Lambton Kingdom Hall in Washington , Tyne and Wear had refused to make statements to police about the confession saying it was confidential . They were finally ordered to testify at Newcastle Crown Court . The man was convicted of indecency , indecent assault and child cruelty and jailed for 13 years .

Maybe someone in the national press will decide to look into this more in light of other denominations starting to be more transparent , we can only hope .

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The story has a thread of its own on here, from a T&W local newspaper. Just for our friends not familiar with the U.K , or with Brit sarcasm, The Sun newspaper is a tabloid rag, but at least it is giving National coverage to this story, and maybe they will expose some more in the future.

The problem is that JW's as a group have no interest for the public in general, so we can expect little interest unless there is a series of cases or something involving a celebrity, sadly.

• bigmac
    bigmac

the Sun newspaper is best known for its page 3 girls--large photos of young women with even larger--bare--breasts. its editorial content is really aimed at the entry-level reader---sexually frustrated men fixated on women with large breasts.

i am a typical Sun reader.

• Splash
    Splash

Between them the Sun, Daily Mail and Mirror have enormous readership across the UK.

All of these national papers have run the Gordon Leighton story.

I wonder what those three elders feel like now.

Splash

• St George of England
    St George of England
    i am a typical Sun reader.

bigmac - That is the funniest thing I have read on here for a long time!

George

• cantleave
    cantleave

Nothing wrong with The Sun...

• wordyword
    wordyword

I know this fella. I can't believe what he has done. IF HOLY SPIRIT IS INVOLVED IN APPOINTING MINISTERIAL SERVANTS, HOW THE HELL DID THIS MAN EVER ENTER THIS ROLE?? HE WAS ONLY APPOINTED A FEW YEARS AGO!

• cantleave
    cantleave

Wordyword - the Holy Spirit is pretty crap at appointing MS's and elders, just look how many of us on here are ex-appointed men or even still serving.

• steve2
    steve2

It is good to see the print media publishing news regarding the Watchtower scandal.

However, the Sun is not what I would consider a "well respected" newspaper: it tends to go for the lowest common denominator with an emphasis on sensationalism (with its screaming front page headlines) and titillation.

• jhine
    jhine

o.k. the sun isn't the Times but as someone pointed out it does have national coverage , and this is something . I have just e-mailed the Independant group telling them to look into that story more closely and to look at this forum . the post about the man being re-instated as an elder after raping a young girl is heartbreaking and this needs exposing . Don't know if there will be any follow up , but something needs to be done about to alert the general public about this .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit