Awake and Watchtower - Top 10 Most Popular Magazines of 2013

by jw07 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

That poll HAD to be based just on circulation numbers. And the printing volumes have nothing to do with how much of that tripe is actually read.

zed

• satinka
    satinka

My comment is "still awaiting moderation"

I suppose if the JWs are moderating, the comment will never see the light of day.

satinka

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

I can think of other ways that the Watchtower and Awake out rank other magazines:

"Awake And Watchtower- The Most Disliked Magazines Of 2013!"

"Awake And Watchtower- The Most Discarded Magazines Of 2013!"

"Awake And Watchtower- The Most Un-Read Magazines Of 2013!"

"Awake And Watchtower- Junk-Mail Magazines Of 2013!"

"Awake And Watchtower- Bird Gage/Litter Magazines Of 2013"

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Couldn't pass this one up:

"Awake And Watchtower- The Magazines With The Most Revisions, Updates, Corrections And Inaccuracies Of 2013"

• Scully
    Scully

I'm all in favor of calling the WT and Awake! one of the most popular magazines. It's very popular with cat owners and bird owners, for collecting their pets' crap in litter boxes and bird cages all over the globe.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

It's misleading to say The Watchtower and Awake! are the "most popular". In the case of the other 8 magazines in the list, people willingly acquire those, in exchange for money. On the other hand, the JW magazines are pushed by JWs onto people, many of whom just take the magazines to be polite (though in most cases, they can't even give them away). Many copies are for JWs and their children, and many others end up in piles of unplaced literature in the homes of JWs before eventually making the trip to landfill. (Why recycle when God can magically fix everything anyway?)

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

jws:

Aren't there like 6 million JWs worldwide? That's like 7.5 magazines/JW. One for them and 6.5 to try to give away. I'm sure most of them either aren't given away or end up in the dumpster immediately after being given away.

Sort of. Except it's more like an average of 7.5 magainzes per active JW, which includes 1 personal copy, and a copy each for their 1-1.5 children (average number of children per parent). That leaves about 5 copies per active publisher left to give away, including those given to inactive JWs.

• jws
    jws

Jeffro wrote:

It's misleading to say The Watchtower and Awake! are the "most popular". In the case of the other 8 magazines in the list, people willingly acquire those, in exchange for money. On the other hand, the JW magazines are pushed by JWs onto people, many of whom just take the magazines to be polite (though in most cases, they can't even give them away).

That got me to thinking. Some of these other magazines, like say People. Can't recall ever buying one, but I do read the covers at the checkout lines. If somebody came to my door offering it for free or a donation of my choice, I'd probably take a copy. At the very least to flip through and see whether anything was worthwhile or just look at the photos.

These days, I'm guessing print is cheap. The real money is in the ads. And the larger the circulation, the greater the ad revenue. If the other magazine companies had people who would give them away for free (which ads could pay for), they'd far surpass the Watchtower & Awake because it'd be something they'd want to read.

Furthermore, some of the other top 10 are, I'm guessing, American magazines. So they're at a disadvantage compared to worldwide publications.

What do I care that they're #1 and #2 though? Doesn't make them something I'd read except to pick apart anyway.

• smiddy
    smiddy

If these top two magazines, the Watchtower and Awake ,were truly the most popular magazines of 2013, contents read and absorbed by their readers, then you would expect a significant amount of people to have a reasonable knowledge of what jehovahs Witnesses beleive.

I guarantee the general public that take these mags. from JW`s have no idea what jehovahs witnesses beleive

I guarantee also that most publications never reach the general public. ( because jw`s cant place them )

I guarantee that a sizeable percentage of witnesses themselves do not know what the official beleif of jehovahs witnesses today is , because they keep changing their understanding/interpretation of scriptures on a regular basis.

You go down any street in any town , any suburb ,any community , in any city , in any part of the world , and ask them what do you know about the beleifs of jehovahs Witnesses , the first response maybe f**k off , or one of two other things .

1.They dont take blood transfusions and 2. they dont vote. Thats all ..after 130 + years of knocking on peoples doors placing the Watchtower and Awake magazines , supposedly spreading a life saving message.

The organization that listed the the 10 most popular magazines needs to redefine it to the most" supposedly "distributed magazines.

smiddy

• bytheirworks
    bytheirworks

I told you. Watchtower & Awake are the 1 & 2 most widely distributed magazines in the world.

I guess distribution = popular.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit