Using the name Jehovah when praying

by Ding 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ding
    Ding

I know of number of JWs who believe that if anyone doesn't address God as Jehovah when praying that the prayer really goes to Satan... especially if you pray to someone else (Jesus, for example).

I haven't been able to find that specific teaching in WT literature. They do say that we are to pray only to Jehovah, but I haven't been able to locate a publication that says the prayer really goes to Satan if you don't.

Is there such a reference?

• stillin
    stillin

Oh, and thank you, Jehovah, for making it possible for our sick and afflicted to be able to listen in to our meetings over the telephone lines. Hello? Can you hear me now?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The name Jehovah is a 14th Century Catholic Translation Mistake..

All prayers in the name of Jehovah..

Go Straight to the Pope!..

Thanks WatchTower!..

.......................  photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• out4good3
    out4good3

I overheard my wife using that rationalization with someone.

So, I asked her....all these years our son was calling me dad instead of my first name, was he talking to Satan as well?

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I pray regularly to Ching Ching Potato.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Er... Matt 6:9:

9?“YOU must pray, then, this way:
    “‘Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified.

Where is the name "Jehovah" in that? This is Christ's own words. That's the logic I'd use.

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

I actually feel bad using the name "Jehovah" in prayer... I now pray using "God" or "Father" and if I say "Jehovah" by accident, then I ask God to forgive me... it most likely isn't God's name, just a bad attempt at making it.

ILTTATT

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Ding: I know of number of JWs who believe that if anyone doesn't address God as Jehovah when praying that the prayer really goes to Satan...especially if you pray to someone else (Jesus, for example).

Well, since Jesus and Jehovah are the same being, that argument carries its own problems.

When man fell, the Father (El/Elyon) appointed man an intercessor, who was Christ. Known in his premortal status as "Yahweh," he became the intercessor between man and the Father. Jesus identified himself as the great I AM when he told the Jews, "Before Abraham was, I AM." The Jews became so enraged they sought to stone him for his impudence. But he passed through them undetected. At the conclusion of the Millennium, when the earth is glorified and redeemed and the judgment is complete, Jehovah will present it back to the Father and his role as intercessor and advocate will be at an end.

As one scholar writes: "This Nicene presupposition blurs an extremely important message of the New Testament; i.e., that it is not the Father who is Jehovah, but rather it is the Son who is the God of the Old Testament and who becomes incarnate. The unique Christian surprise is not that Jehovah has a son who is Jesus but rather that Jesus who is Jehovah has a Father."

The clues are all over the place in the Old Testament. Jehovah is the first and the last even as Jesus. Jehovah is the king of kings, as is Jesus. Jehovah will come to judge the nations, but John says that the Father judges no man, but has committed all judgment to the Son. If a religion can't even get the Godhead right, how can they get anything else right.

An expample is that the law states that in the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established. The JWs say the Holy Spirit is nothing but the "active force" of God. But the scriptures say that both the Father and the Spirit testified at Christ's baptism. If the Holy Spirit was not an entity who could testify, then how could Jesus have two who would testify of him? The Father spoke and the Holy Spirit descended in the form of a dove. These are two witnesses, but the JWs miss this important theological distiction.

Jesus prayed to the Father. Praying to Jehovah is like praying to the Son, so the Society has been praying to the wrong God.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Maybe it would be better if prayers actually did go to Satan. Any prayers going to joke-hova, jesus, or to any saint or angel will end up going to help the vatican's psychic situation and provide them psychic energy. As will going to any boasting sessions or reading the LIE-ble with the viewpoint of relying on them for advice and believing the rubbish contained therein, or spreading the rubbish through placing littera-trash or going door to door. Or, every time we do something in the name of joke-hova or jesus. Refusing to do fornication simply because it says fornication is bad in the LIE-ble or quran is just as bad--as with any other "sin" in these two wastes of paper publications.

At least, praying to Satan and His Demons does not give the vatican psychic energy to use to smack down on the human race.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

The thought is that there are so many gods, if you don't use his name how does he know its directed to him. The head of all other gods is Satan, so indirectly you might unintentionally pray to Satan. I believe this was taught in the Knowledge book.

I never used that line of reasoning because if God can read/hear the prayers in your hearts and even understand the mumblings of the crushed, then he should know when you are praying to him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit