Using the name Jehovah when praying

by Ding 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• minimus
    minimus

I say "Jehovah" when I (rarely) pray.

• Terry
    Terry

I've come to think of "Jehovah" as a superstitious fetish on the part of JW's.

Stop and think about it with a practical mindset for a moment. A little girl who is in a 3rd world country who gets down on her knees and prays to the Living God

cannot be expected to use a celestial passcode, can she? Is that what being a father in the heavens is all about? Really--access and a security checklist?

Everything the Watch Tower religion now stands for amounts to a nest of cuckoo eggs. Every traditional, practical and ordinary word has a substitute doppleganger word in the JW lexicon. They've transplanted Christianity into Jehovahanity.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Many years ago when I was a fully, fledged totally brainwashed JW (I was a born-in) I remember an elder who always used the expression "father" in his prayers instead of Jehovah, and it used to irk me a bit.

After escaping the cult I realised that he was actually correct and following the scriptural pattern left by Jesus, who never, ever once referred to God as "Jehovah" or any other derivative of the tetragrammaton as recorded in scripture.

There is not the slightest NT textual or other evidence to support the idea that the earliest Christians ever referred to God by any other title than God or Father or Lord, never Yahweh or Jehovah or Yehowah or whatever.

• Ding
    Ding

Does this appear in the NWT somewhere?

There is no direct quotation of Jesus in the NWT where he utters the name Jehovah.

The WTS says that since he said, "I have made your name known" he must have used it.

Of course in that culture to make someone's name known meant to display or extol their character, not to utter the right syllables.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit