Yesterday I met a poster from JWN

by crmsicl 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• crmsicl
    crmsicl

About 4 months ago I pm'd poster "Emma" because I noticed she was from the same state I grew up in. I told her about myself and where I grew up, I was not a JW growing up but she was. As we communicated we eventually realized that we were from the same neck of the woods and then even from the same High School and graduating class. I noticed she signed my yearbook too. I'm quite sure we had at least one class together because I remember my yearbook going around the classroom and I think that's when she signed it. When we saw each others picture we remembered each other though we never had communicated other than a hi or smile.

So we are here at my husbands 50th class reunion and we made arrangements to meet. We went to her house because that was the most conveinant for our schedules. We visited for about an hour and it was very nice. If I new how to post our picture in the private section I would.

Has anyone else done anything like that?

• Farkel
    Farkel

I have.

Around 2000, I made contact with a guy who was aound 9 years old when I got married in the Kingdom Hall. His father was my Congregation Overseer. We both have the same first name. He was a kid and I was an adult. This was 40 years later. We met and had a great time together. We both visited Beth Sarim together. At night! It was eerie, but kewl.

Later on, about three years ago, I noticed a poster on this forum who looked familiar, so I emailed him. He and I used to ski together. His uncle was a GB member and I dated his sister once about a million years ago. His sister and my sister were/are best friends. He is only 2 years younger than I, but I think he is one of the most intelligent people I have ever met.

We still keep in touch. He left the cult, too.

It really is a small world, isn't it?

Farkel

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

When I first started coming to this site I saw a poster who used his real life picture as his avatar. I recognized him immediately. We grew up together in the same congregation but hadn't seen each other in years. We've gotten together on more than one occasion since. It was a real encouragement to me when I saw him on JWN.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I have met scores of Ex-JW's but never have met one I knew from while I was a JW. Awesome for you.

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

FARKEL: Two mothers actually named their children Farkel?

• cantleave
    cantleave

I have met up with many posters here, I am lucky enough to travel around the world with my Job and and I try to meet up with as many of my "worldwide brotherhood" (couldn't resist that one) as I can.

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

"Two mothers actually named their children Farkel?"

Isn't your sister named Sparkel Farkel?

• Emma
    Emma

It was great to meet you and your husband, crmsicl. The visit went so quickly. I'm glad you made the effort to contact me! That old vocabulary rolled off our tongues, lol, and it was great to hear your story and your perspective.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Several years ago poster 'outnfree' mentioned my family's name in one of her posts. My parents conducted a study with her sister back in the 70's. She and my mom (devout JW) were living in the same cong territory in a completely different state (35 years later.) I have not seen outnfree here on JWN for several years. I hope she is doing well.

Another JWN poster wrote something here that was a dead-giveaway to his former congregation. The same as mine in the 80's. We pm'd and are facebook friends, but, as yet, have not met up in person. I used to attend book study at his house and was friends with his now-ex-wife.

Yet another JWN poster found JWN because of a careless post I made in which I cited his real name in a public (not private) section. His name is not very common but he has become well-regarded in his field to the point where he was telling people to just google his name to find information about his business projects. Apparently some of his customers asked him if he was a JW. He said 'yes, how did you know that'? So he googled himself, clicked the link to my post on this site and eventually joined the site. We have caught up on each other's lives thru pm, email and some phone conversations. Have not caught up in person, but plan to. [And a mod graciously removed my careless, errant post. It eventually faded from the google hit list. And I have apologized to my friend for my careless error. I am usually so very cautious about other's anonimity, this was fluke. But an innocuous one with, I believe, I very good outcome.]

There are some others who have pm'd me that they know people from my old congs. And MANY others who I first met on JWN and *then* met in reallife.

I think it's fun. I hope to meet up with many more of my former JW friends. Soon.

-Aude.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: "Two mothers actually named their children Farkel?"

::Isn't your sister named Sparkel Farkel?

Indeed she is! I also have two brothers, one of whom is named Art Garfarkel.

Mom is Fanny Farkel. We children are all redheads with freckles. Mom and dad are both brunettes with darker skin and no freckles. My next door neighbor is a redhead with freckles. Mom likes to bake cookies for him when we are in school. She bakes LOTS of cookies for him when we are in school, but she gets done baking cookies for him when we get out of school. She is happiest when she bakes cookies for him when we are in school. She is always smiling after she bakes cookies for him when we get home from school. Mom is a happy person.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit