Is Richard Dawkins giving atheists a bad name?

by slimboyfat 59 Replies latest social current

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Worth reading if you think Dawkins' focus gene selection is all there is to evolution.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/selection-units/

• cofty
    cofty

I didn't say Dawkin's model of gene selection is all there is.

I read lots of different science authors all the time. It's been quite a while since I read anything by Dawkins.

I hate the way you argue just for the sake of it. You have no interest in conversation.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

What an obnoxious statement. I read The Blind Watchmaker first in 1999. You were probably still singing hallelujahs at that point.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Wasn't he a game-show host?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

The mulla's evaluation of books of learning: ""If those books are in agreement with the Quran, we have no need of them; and if these are opposed to the Quran, destroy them."

...sounds so Watchtower-y to me.

• Simon
    Simon
    What an obnoxious statement. I read The Blind Watchmaker first in 1999. You were probably still singing hallelujahs at that point.

I didn't know we were in a race.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

My biggest issue with Islam is that it is a political entity masquerading as a religion.

Studying the Koran and Hadiths a common theme is the goal of Islam is to install Sharia Law in all nations to the glory of Allah.

Any nation with Muslim led government has very few individual freedoms.

I really don't care what people believe, but keep religious beliefs out of Government, Christian or Muslim.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

We're all in the human race.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

It depends who Dawkins is aiming his message at I suppose. Whatever his style, if it prompts people to discuss the subject he is addressing, including both sides of the argument, then it can have a positive outcome. I'm not sure it's a style that will persuade his opponents but then again maybe that isn't his objective.

What is important, and I suspect this is true of debates on most subjects, is not to be persuaded or deterred simply by style, but to try to put this aside and consider the logic of the argument and weight of evidence. It also depends whether we are truly interested in learning from a person's argument, or whether we are simply interested in reinforcing our own beliefs.

Although Dawkins may be having 'a pop' at Islam at the moment, he has railed at Christianity far more extensively in the past.

• HowTheBibleWasInvented
    HowTheBibleWasInvented

This whole post is bashing an individual perrsonally and reminds me of the WT. Sadly

Richard Dawkins is a biologist SIMPLE

He felt that by the 21st century religion would we a personal isssue and not have to argue with science. He was wrong. In fact the Life how did it get here book deliberatly misquoated him! <<< He should have sued

Since retiring he had opened up to the main issue. Religious control. Like the WT. Except more personal. He has a good point with encouraging children NOT to chose a religion until later lin life when science and reason are used. This I agree with.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit