Is Richard Dawkins giving atheists a bad name?

by slimboyfat 59 Replies latest social current

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

If educating people and teaching them to spot falsehood gives atheist a bad name, I'm sure atheist don't mind at all.

• Caedes
    Caedes

Laika,

When someone makes arguments such as that the 'good' things religious people do are due to human nature and not religious beliefs, but the 'bad' things they do are of course because of religion and faith, how they are not seen as intellectually vapid is beyond me.

Could you point me to the source of this statement? I will hold off commenting until I can see a quote where he actually says this.

• Laika
    Laika

I was summarising. Have you read the God delusion?

• cofty
    cofty
    I was summarising. Have you read the God delusion?

It doesn't sound as if you got past the title and introduction.

There are far better reasons to do good things than the superstitious notion that a god is watching.

Religion provides powerful reasons for good people to do bad things.

• Laika
    Laika

I've read the whole thing, I don't have a copy now but from memory I am confident it is a fair summary.

Of course you were an evangelical Christian for 9 years so you know that 'because God is watching' is not the only 'religious' reason for doing a good thing. And I am sure that you are also too intelligent to claim that there are powerful reasons for those of faith to do bad but not for those of faith to do good.

Again, I really don't understand how this is compelling, I am surprised anyone would want to defend this, particularly since the argument has nothing to do with whether or not there actually is a God.

• cofty
    cofty
    'because God is watching' is not the only 'religious' reason for doing a good thing

All the other reasons do not require religion or any supernatural beliefs.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

The Muslim world is often given credit for keeping learning alive during the Dark Ages, and Muslims are happy to take that credit.

What made the Dark Ages so dark? In addition to the dearth of LED bulbs, it was also the fact that the Churches of Xtiandom were acting very much the way the Muslim world acts today. It is as if Muslims looked at the Dark Ages and thought, "y'know... we might be able to make this work."

So mush for preserving knowledge, algebra and alchemy. As my former boss used to ask whenever I recited my list of last month's accomplishments, "Yeah, but what have you done for me lately?"

Dawkins is correct to ask the Muslim worls, "What have you done for me lately?"

...and I would be PROUD to stand with Dawkins anyday! As an atheist, all flavors of intolerance and institutionalized ignorance are my enemy.

• Simon
    Simon
    So why single out Muslims apart from to promote pure prejudice?

Because promoting prejudice against any group that promotes:

• backward thinking
    • turture, abuse and maiming
    • killing of unbelievers

... is a damn good thing.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Richard Dawkins makes a lot of sense; he encourages people to think rather than follow the alleged ramblings of a desert god. I read his books and salute him. He makes reality magical and dispenses with the need for a mystical escape from reality.

Any negative comment about the tyrannical, woman hating, suicidal, destructive Muslim brotherhood is long overdue. I don’t make a habit of hugging men, but I would make an exception for Richard Dawkins.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Agree with the last two posts. He picks on Christians too. He picks on the right stuff.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit