A little Update... Going back to school.

by dazed but not confused 16 Replies latest social current

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

I’m going back to school tomorrow. I’m in an industry that is slowly dieing. Each year the asbestos abatement field slows a little. This is my 10 th year in the industry. I need work that is consistent, recession proof and less hazardous. I will be going part time. I’m going to try getting into nursing. The medical field is obviously always going to be busy. I love helping people and think it will be a good fit. Going part time, it may take me 3 to 4 years to fulfill the prerequisites, then 1 year full time in the nursing program. I am excited, nervous and anxious. With 2 kids and a wife who works full time, it will be tough. I will be working fulltime and taking classes in the evening.

I never even considered college while IN. In July I turned 30. I have 35+ years until retirement. Now my focus is on making money so I can provide a better life for my wife and kids. It is no longer “waiting on Jehovah” and the silly idea of a paradise earth.

My wife was promoted to assistant manager and will be starting her new position on Tuesday. She’s really excited; more money, salary and bonuses. We’re really looking forward to the following year.

• wasblind
    wasblind

That's what I call the real " Good News "

• cantleave
    cantleave

Best of luck, I am sure you will do very well.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Good for you! Yes the cost of being a JW continues in many different ways. I am at the other end of the spectrum.......now retired and reasonably in control of my financial life.

However after pioneering and being 'in' it took a good five years or more to right that ship and to become smarter and more productive.

The JW's are in for the short game and then it's paradise earth (BS), ex JW's know they now have to adjust for the long game.

• Gayle
    Gayle

Great plan!! You can do it. Sets a good example for your children too.

• cofty
    cofty

Well done. Good luck with your studies.

As you say it's also less hazardous than dealing with asbestos.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Great plan!! You can do it. Sets a good example for your children too. Yes, we are breaking the cycle of stupidity in this religion. Mrs. Dazed and I have talked about focusing a lot on their education. We are looking into private schools when the little ones are ready to start. Next year our son will be starting school. I think family and education are the 2 most important things in life.

The JW's are in for the short game Sadly so true. We are really lucky getting out as young as we did. So many here spent far more than 27 years wasting time in the cult.

• zeb
    zeb

Nursing, tough call but personally rewarding.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Hey good, nursing is a good vocation because people will always need nurses. Enjoy!

• finally awake
    finally awake

good luck!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit