800-why-1914 helpline, Marilyn Zweifel

by coffee_black 18 Replies latest jw friends

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

I am sorry she is not doing well. Do people even still call that number?

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Problemaddict,

The number shut down a while back. Marilyn was answering calls right up that time... I think it was about 6 months ago...I lose track of time.

Coffee

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Coffee_Black, you have a PM.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Pm answered.

I'll be logging off in a few minutes but will try to check back tomorrow

Coffee

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Sorry to hear that, she sounds like a kind lady who did a lot of good.

• SAHS
    SAHS

My warmest regards to Marilyn Zweifel and her family . I have never talked to her either, but I do remember seeing her on a documentary quite a while back (I think it was around the early 90s), which aired on the Canadian CBC channel, called “Children of Jehovah,” and I believe it featured her “1 (800) WHY-1914” helpline, which made an impression on me and which I always remembered since. It showed Marilyn, who seemed to be a very caring and discerning mature lady, talking about the young victims of the shunning policy who had no place to go, and I will always remember when she said, “These kids need help!” I can still see and hear her saying that in my mind today.

The documentary also showed a young man attempting to call the helpline from a pay phone, but unfortunately at the time he was informed that the number was not available from his calling area here in Canada. (I forget exactly where he was shown calling from.) I don’t know, but I would imagine that the service area for the helpline would have eventually been expanded to include all areas in the USA as well as Canada.

I also remember being in the field service sometime in the 90s and seeing a card prominently displayed on a house showing the “1 (800) WHY-1914” helpline number for anyone with doubts or questions. I will never forget that either.

I’m sure that there are quite a few people, especially the younger ones who have been cast aside by their families (as instructed by you-know-what), who owe Marilyn a debt of love and gratitude. Although I didn’t get a chance to talk with her, she nevertheless indirectly touched me and contributed to the mental fortitude for me also to begin my personal journey of questioning and investigation.

Take care, Marilyn, and know that you are always well thought of by many.

• zeb
    zeb

I had not heard of this valiant person but my love goes out to her and her husband.

this is an adaption, but,

The warrior stopped at the pearly gates

her face was worn and old.

She meekly asked the man of fate

admission to the fold.

"What have you done?" he kindly said,

"To gain admission here?"

"I saved the lost and shunned ones Lord for many, for many a year".

With a flash of light the gates swung wide as Peter touched the bell

"Come in" he said, "and take your rest you've seen enough of hell".

"For there is no greater love then this, that a person shall give their life (in service) for others"

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

bumping... will print this out tomorrow morning and mail it to Marilyn. So if anyone wants to send her a message here, please do.

Coffee

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

coffee_black:

I wish Marilyn all the best. I believe I spoke to her on her hotline many years ago, right before that scandalous news program aired about the JWs.

I ended up missing the program but heard that many JWs watched it and were very crushed because it made the religion look very bad, which it deserves to.

In case she happens to look here: best wishes, Marilyn.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit