Religious people are less intelligent than atheists, according to analysis of scores of scientific studies stretching back over decades

by besty 48 Replies latest jw friends

• scotoma
    scotoma

Cant Leave

"I am surprised there haven't been more comments on this.........."

695 people have already viewed this info on

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/259200/1/IQ-and-Theism

• rebel8
    rebel8

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly."

~Albert Einstein

[Helen Dukas and Banesh Hoffman (eds) (1981). Albert Einstein, The Human Side. Princeton University Press. p. 43.]

• cantleave
    cantleave

Michael Behe - is not an exceptional intelligence. His ridiculous promotion of irreducible complexity shows that!

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Of course, atheists are wiser than believers.

Even Yahweh believes that. He inspired, (according to Christian tradition), the Apostle Paul to write:

"... behold his calling of you brothers, that not many wise in a fleshly way were called, ... but God chose the foolish things of the world, that he might put the wise men of the world to shame ... "

Only trouble is that, after 2000 years, there is no sign that the wisdom of the world is being put to shame by Yahweh's foolish Christians.

And (grin) curiously, within a hundred or so years, the foolish Christians were searching out the wisdom of the world and inserting it into their Christian belief system.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Quendi.... 50 years ago, 100 years ago... I would still beleive in god. 2000 years ago I would believe that rainbows were a message from god....

Who cares what other people beleived and what they achieved, it is irelevant to the truth and the evidence being uncovered daily,

snare x

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

14401 everything you said in your reply (page 1) is correct, but people from historh dont change the evidence in these papers, the non religious on average of higher intelligence. Talking sbout einstein does not negate the evidence.

• steve2
    steve2

Well, we can argue the details forever, but few things are clearer to me now than the fact that the Watchtower house of cards requires, nay, demands, a pea brain mentality to believe it and a will the size of a pin-head to yield to it. If just one of my 4 grandparents had any decent loading on intelligence - and, in particular, had more education, they would have stood an infinitely greater likelihood of laughing the original Bible Students off their rural doorsteps. Ah! Such rustic ignorance - what pain and suffering it welcomed into their homes.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

IQ rymes with Yuck.

• Diest
    Diest

Quendi, I would like to make two points

1. Most of the people you talk about come from time periods where a complete disbelief in God was much more difficult. With some of the advances in genetics and general biological understanding it is less of a leap than it would have been for Newton and even Einstein.

2.This article specifically talks about religious people, not people who bleieved in God. Newton for instance held veiws that went completely against the religions of his time (i.e. the trinity). I know that Einstein believed in God but I dont think he was a devout Jew.

Edit: The one belief where I really think religious people are less intelligent is a belief in a global flood. That has to be one of the easiest storys in the bible to completely deconstrut. If you can research that point and show me how civilization went from nothing to its current form in 4700 years I would be impressed. Let alone all of the issues with animals and an ark...

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Actually Lincoln and Einstein are both highly questionable additions to this list of "faithful". Einstein self identified as an agnostic, and Lincoln was a skeptic, not to mention a political figure with much to lose if not professing belief.

1. Most of the people you talk about come from time periods where a complete disbelief in God was much more difficult.

Exactly. I'm sure this study is concerning today's believers. With all the knowledge we have available to everyman................................

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit