In the beginning God created the heavens and the Earth...

by geek 27 Replies latest jw friends

• geek
    geek

This very first sentence in the bible makes no sense to me, I struggle with it and I am wondering what other's thoughts are on the subject. Don't get me wrong, I believe in God, I believe their is a creator, or atleast I hope their is. But I struggle with him creating the heavens and the earth, I mean, why would he? What is the point? We can only see such a tiny amount of the universe, with our naked eye just a speck of the universe so what is the point in it? The bible talks about the luminaries but we only see a speck of whats out there. Does anyone else wonder about this too?

• cofty
    cofty

Geek - Why do you believe there is a creator?

Do you think it has more to do with what you were raised to believe or wishful thinking or evidence?

• geek
    geek

I was raised as a JW so I definitely was taught their was a creator from a young age. However, as I have huge doubts over their beliefs and even of the bible, I think my belief comes more from my own self. I don't know if this will make sense to anyone else, if anyone else has the same thoughts or if these thoughts can be explained by phycology without backing up the belief in the everlasting soul. But I feel like I have an inner person, a soul, that when my body dies my soul will live on. From a young age I was aware that if I had been born into another body into another family, I would be someone else but I'd still be me. Does that make any sense at all? If I was born a boy, I'd be male but Id still be me, so I guess the 'me' is referring to my soul. So, if I believe in the soul then I guess I believe that someone created it, who or how or why, I don't know.

• bohm
    bohm

geek: The interesting part is if we accept modern physics, there are a number of different reasons why the earth (or heaven) wont last forever. For instance:

• The stars will eventually run out of energy
    • The core of the earth will cool down thereby weakening the magnetic field; the sun will then slowly blow the earths atmosphere away
    • The sun will eventually swell up and make the earth uninhabitable.
    • The rate the universe is expanding is accelerating, meaning everything will eventually be ripped apart
    • Protons, for instance, decay over a very long time. At some point this will make atoms very rare.

So yes, why indeed.

• Laika
    Laika

Geek:

Sort of like a homesickness for a place or person you've never known?

That makes sense to me. You should trust in that, follow it.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Geek, the you that you speak of was the you that was made as a result of your experiences and surroundings. It is your consciousness that you were acknowledging. But, in a different body or family you would have had different experiences and different learnings. I don't think you would be the same friend.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I won't touch on your belief in a creator. But you have a problem with the book. How do you convince yourself that He had anything to do with the book? Could middle-eastern shepherds have discovered the life of ease of the new job known as "priest" but needed a book? Could it be similar to the myths of any group, but edited and re-crafted over decades/centuries until it seemed to fit a different theology than the original intent?

• *lost*
    *lost*

Geek - I 'get' what you mean, I feel similar.

I am very confused about a lot of things at the moment.

I am actually struggling with my 'faith' now, never have done before, I dunno, maybe it's not that I am struggling with my faith as such.

Perhaps it is the confusion I am struggling with. what do we believe now, who do we believe, how do we trust any information about anything.

Myself, I am re-learning as much as I can, objectively, going back to the begining and learning as much as I can about everything.

• mP
    mP

Who created the creator ?

• Mahtaw
    Mahtaw

A big part of me leaving the witnesses is because I don't believe in the bible anymore. I guess I'm agnostic, because I don't know the answers. But the bible is much like Easop's Fables to me. Maybe SOME good stories with morals ( while some are barbaric and not moral), but not a factual book. Think about the story of noah. There are 10,000 species of animals, living in different climates, with different diets. You're telling me Noah was able to accommodate that? And we know he didn't select a few species which evolved into all 10,000. That's a no no for creationists.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit