Religioulous

by snare&racket 19 Replies latest jw friends

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Not sure how many here have watched this... But make a coffee and make the time to do so.... Its edutainment ;)

http://youtu.be/E2zhlDbMfDg

• zound
    zound

I haven't seen it all but some clips. I'm an athiest but I found the clips I saw to be annoying. Bill Mayer kept interupting and lecturing people and coming accross as extremely arrogant and smug. Also they kept cutting the interviews, so that they were only short little statements that sounded ridiculous (and probably were) but it came across as if they had to cut it that way in order to make the interviewed people look as stupid as possible.

Also one major beef I had - Bill says about the Jesus myth being exactly the same as Horus (I think it was Horus) it cuts to a montage of all the 'similarities'. None of which are true - or even close to being true. I have no idea where they even got that notion or if they straight up made it up.

Same as with the Watchtower, you don't need to make up things about them to make them look bad - they do that by themselves.

It just seemed like Bill was trying too hard to make religious people look bad - when all he had to do was point a camera at them and let them do the work.

Richard Dawkins has a much better approach, he is an absolute gentleman, asks tough questions, doesn't let them avoid the issue, but gives them an equal and ample opportunity to express their views.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

It's very funny IMHO.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Zound.... Why do we always have to appeal to the lowest common denominator? Why always assume everybody else is too dumb to spot the message? Why create for the appreciation of the dumbest person in the room?

it is OBVIOUSLY a comedy documentary, it has sound effects and edits to comedic clips etc. They clearly altered the subtitles of replies they were getting and what people were saying...... You dont actually think it was supposed to be covert do you?

As for the mockery of belief, that is the whole ironic element of the show... They can add sound effects and edits of people pulling funny faces but when THEY put saddles on dinosaurs.... THEY WIN..... that is the whole point of the documentary! Not look how evil and dumb these people are but look ow silly this whole religious thing is! He had a physicist claiming the gospels, written between 30-70 years after the death of the star charachter was "first hand" evidence and then a gay preachermeho didnt believe in gays, a muslim rapper promoting questioning in islam but calling for the desth of Salmand Rushdi... Then there was the dinosaur people....jesus....oh yes AND several jesus's too!

Yes he added sound effects etc but these people made the ridiculous nature of religion evident themselves! He just added the noise of cuckoos on top...

As for Horus, it isn't true that it is ALL incorrect, some of it is 100% true and the other conjecture. But if you knew your religious histroy you would know that the principle stands. All the major myths, ideas, story and teachings of Jesus were taken from older local mythology (sumeria/egypt even india).

it is very funny and very infirmative.... i'm assuming the viewer has an IQ over 70 and therefore csn display capacity and autonomy :/

snare x

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

the rabbai explaining how a perfect law had loopholes on purpose for "extenuating circumstances". i peed myself.

• truthhurts13
    truthhurts13

Got it on Blue-Ray, One of my all time favs!

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Brilliant Snare, I love Jonah and the tuna spa.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Love it. Saw it at the movies and have the DVD.

• cofty
    cofty

Marking to watch when I get home. Phone connection is too slow.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Get the DVD cofty you'll Love it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit