Religioulous

by snare&racket 19 Replies latest jw friends

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I watched this a few years ago, and absolutely loved it. The part with the congressman, omg!!! What a baffoon. And, the part at the Jesus Theme Park in Orlando where he interviews a man playing Jesus - priceless!!

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

the part at the Jesus Theme Park in Orlando where he interviews a man playing Jesus - priceless!!

Ha! I forgot about that!

I definitely recommend seeing it!

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I love bill, I know in america he is the evil liberal left, but in most of the world we call those people....'normal.

It really is a great mockumentary, interested to hear what Cofty thinks ;)

i like it when the geeky bible theme park kid piped up with star wars quotes and his mum looks at him like he just took a pee on the baby jesus.....

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Remember that Jewish company that made devices to help one cheat on the Sabbath! That was awesome. Fill a need capitalism at its finest.

• Sammy Jenkis
    Sammy Jenkis

I saw this one on Netflix, my favorite is the interview with "Dr." Jeremiah Cummings... the lord wanted him to have a $3000.00 suit and some gators. haha

• A Ha
    A Ha

I think someone who's already an atheist would find it funny, in a preaching to the choir kind of way. I certainly wouldn't expect a believer to be swayed by it.

As mentioned, the Horus stuff has been refuted by reputable historians and Egyptologists for ages, and a bonehead mistake like this is just going to make them write the whole thing off as further persecution.

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

I thought it was amusing, and some of the targets deserved the mockery, like the gay therapy guy (my personal favorite), the theme park people, and "Dr." Cummings. I found treatment of some of the other subjects to be mean-spirited, like the truckers at the roadside chapel and the Jewish man who converted to Christianity. I get that his point is that none of it is harmless, but even as a skeptic I can't really get on board with making fun of people's sincere beliefs when they aren't pushing it on others.

• fedup
    fedup

My fav is when he questions the jesus freak and finally says to him, if you love Jesus so much and want to join him in heaven, why don't you kill yourself.

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

chaserious. i agree. he did punk those sincere trucker guys. not so cool. and the way he straight punked the ex jew for jesus with the overpriced "virgin mary" statues who said that he prayed for rain. i do agree that he was a bit harsh but dammit, these people would push their nonsense on you for a prophet... i mean profit. i say call that BS. just an opinion.

• new22day
    new22day

I saw Religioulous in the theater with my 70 year-old mom when it first came out. She laughed so hard I thought she was gonna get us kicked out. I have the DVD and watched it with my exBF JW (dumb move but funny). I warned him in advance.

He freaked out when the Catholic priest in Rome was guffawing at people who take the scriptures literally and made me turn it off. He yelled at how that man dared to question his church. I was shocked. I think that may have been cognitive dissonance kicking in?? I explained he was free to have his own interpretation and still belong. It was allowed as it should be... hmph.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit