Christmas

by Mahtaw 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Mahtaw
    Mahtaw

Just call me the grinch, haha. I don't know, it almost feels wrong. Just like continuing being a jw felt wrong. I feel like I'm lying to others, making a statment that I'm all for jesus and and going to church and the bible. Which I'm not. And I definately don't want to lie to my children and tell them Santa is real. Doesn't feel right. But like I said, I have no problem with the family getting together aspect of it.

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

I grew up celebrating Christmas and it was actually the hardest thing for me to give up. Well, after 30 years of being a JW I celebrated it this past year and my husband who was a born in did too. He was a little uncomfortable at first but he had a great time watching the grandkids have a great time. It is such a fun time of the year and everything is so festive. You may find that you will change you mind especially with small children. I know that for many it is a religious celebration but many people of different religions celebrate because it is fun. Give yourself time you might find you enjoy it!

• clarity
    clarity

Oh don't get me wrong...... I never said a thing about believing in santa or jesus

I just remember the emotional & fun side of it!

Give yourself permission to choose and do it your way.

clarity

• Bella15
    Bella15

When I read the account of Jesus' birth without the Watchtower CORPORATION goggles ... I started meditating on what a night it was the night the Son of The Most High God was born ... I was wowed!!! It is the best night ever eternity would ever seen ... a God made man, The Saviour, The Messiah ... it takes certain revelation I'd say to understand this concept and celebrate the real Christmas, the Birth of Jesus ... you know not everybody that celebrates Christmas is a Christian, added to what the WT Cult ingrained in us against it that it is commercial, pagan, etc., so for me it was VERY surprising to talk to practicing Christians, seeing them celebrating Jesus birth, truly rejoicing at the fact He was born (just like he died and resurrected and is now in Heaven), churches very busy at increasing charity work and spreading the love through gifts to the community ...Pastors tellling us again and again and again the real meaning of Christms - GOD SO LOVE THE WORLD - when you see real Christians celebrating the birth of Jesus you will see a different side of Christmas ... in my case I learned the sacred part of Christmas and it is beautiful for me to meditate on that night when the Son of God was born and be eternally happy and at peace ...

Mary, did you know
    That your baby boy will one day walk on water?
    Did you know
    That your baby boy will save our sons and daughters?
    Did you know
    That your baby boy has come to make you new?
    This child that youve delivered
    Will soon deliver you

Mary, did you know
    That your baby boy will give sight to a blind man?
    Did you know
    That your baby boy will calm a storm with his hand?
    Did you know
    That your baby boy has walked where angels trod?
    And when you kiss your little baby
    Youve kissed the face of god

Mary, did you know?
    The blind will see
    The deaf will hear
    And the dead will live again
    The lame will leap
    The dumb will speak
    The praises of the lamb

Mary, did you know
    That your baby boy is lord of all creation?
    Did you know
    That your baby boy will one day rule the nations?
    Did you know
    That your baby boy is heavens perfect lamb?
    This sleeping child you're holding
    Is the great I am

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

There is no reason you have to celebrate Christmas if you don't want to, but give it a chance, you might find you enjoy some aspects of it. I decided I was free to do as little or as much as I wanted, I had no sacred family traditions to uphold. But I like to decorate and bake, so I enjoy it.

• Quendi
    Quendi

After I left the cult in 2010, I also refused to celebrate any holidays. I have since changed my mind and Christmas is one I look forward to. That is because it is the one time of year I know I can get together with my family and other friends and loved ones. I know Christ wasn’t born then and that the real origins of the feast originate with celebrating the Winter Solstice and the sun’s return. I actually see nothing wrong with that.

The reason is that I believe our civilization has forgotten all about natural and seasonal rhythms. I like noting events like equinoxes, solstices, different astronomical events, certain points in Earth’s orbit around the Sun and similar phenomena. Christmas reminds me that our planet is a small part of a much bigger system and I find such reminders useful.

I’ve gone back to observing Thanksgiving and birthdays as well. They give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that makes me feel good and remind me of the people I love the most. The Witness ban against these things is mean-spirited anyway. It was never about honoring God as their literature says as much as it was about making their cult as distinct and different from other faiths as possible. The end result in many cases was splintered families and broken friendships—something just as “God dishonoring” as the so-called “pagan” holidays they commanded their followers to shun.

Quendi

• Mahtaw
    Mahtaw

Ya know, I COULD get a plastic christmas palm tree and make up our own stories and characters haha.

• Bells
    Bells

I would suggest giving it a try purely for your child's sake (maybe no need this year if he/she is still a little baby - but down the track when they a little older)

As someone who didn't grow up as a JW, there really was no greater joy than Christmas time!!!!!!

It's one thing that I feel sorry for my ex-JW husband - that he will never get the chance to experience that joy - unless perhaps through our own kids when we have them

I can understand where you are coming from thinking it's bs - and of course it is - but like the others say, it's what you make it. Is there really any harm for kids believing in Santa when they are young? And then discovering that Santa isn't real is like a rite of passage - it's kinda sad - cos you like Santa, but then it's kinda like 'I'm a grown up now, I don't believe in Santa' too.

Even for years after I stopped believing in Santa, I still loved the excitement of Christmas. Loved buying (or making) crappy little presents for my friends and family that I'd saved my pocket money for, wrapping them and then sneaking out to the tree really late on Christmas eve so that it was a suprise when my family woke up - I would pretend to be like Santa.

I wish I still believed in Santa -it was so much fun!

Now that I'm an adult, I don't do much for Christmas, I have a crappy little tree but last year I didn't even put it up. In saying that, when we have kids, I will definitely get into the whole swing.

But at the end of the day - your life, your kids, your choice :)

B

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

There are so many ways to observe Christmas, and that is whether or not you choose to include Jesus. Even in the LIE-ble, Luke 2:10-14 describes perfect(??) angels celebrating Christmas. For this reason, Christians should not feel it a sin to observe this holiday.

And, without Jesus, Christmas' pagan origins can be appreciated. Virtually everything fundamentalist Christians whine about Christmas is just as much part of it, aside the drink-driving (which I do not suggest). Many people go into debt, which is not required (though the banks--Rothschilds--are to blame for much of that). Christmas is supposed to be a time to enjoy one's material blessings. Putting up lights, decorating the tree, shopping, baking, and visiting relatives are all part of the deal. You can also enjoy the time off--whether you choose to do much preparation, do only simple preparation, or start simple and build is up to you.

• mP
    mP

notjust

All holidays are false, given holi-day is a contraction for holy day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit