Christmas

by Mahtaw 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Mahtaw
    Mahtaw

Hi I'm new. Was raised a JW, started fading out about 3 and a half years ago. I recently had a child, and my in laws are baptist. They love christmas. Most other holidays, I don't mind participating. But the whole reason I left the jws is because its total bs. Just a bunch of untruths and hypocrites and mind control. Well, I noticed a lot of people were excited to start celebrating christmas. I can't see the difference. Its a big bunch of shit too, and I can't see myself celebrating it. But I don't believe in the bible anymore either. Anyway, anyone else feel the same? Maybe I'll change my mind. But to me it seems like a big pain in the ass.

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

Welcome, Mahtaw!

I'm a never-jw with some family in. For me Christmas is fun, but I've seen that some ex-jws feel as you do. Why do you single out Christmas as particularly bad? Like everything else, it's what you make of it. There's no actual obligation to wreck your finances on extravagent gifts or get rotten drunk at office parties, despite the regular articles in Awake

It's a good time to catch up with family, friends, colleagues and ex-colleagues, and take stock of the year that was. And if you're so inclined, some of the church services are beautiful!

Retro

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Do you have to celebrate Christmas to go see your family occasionally around the holidays? I don't celebrate Christmas just like you don't and for similar reasons. But I probably will go to my families house around then. My house won't have a tree, and won't have lights (anymore than it has year round), and thats my choice.

So don't sweat it.

• Mahtaw
    Mahtaw

I do get with the family during the time. Just don't wanna put up a tree. But I've celebrated say halloween. Haha. But I feel obligated to buy gifts, and I don't wanna hurt peoples feelings I guess. And I'm just confused how to raise my daughter in regards to religious holidays.

• Mum
    Mum

Christmas is a time for families to be together and show the spirit of love and caring. I was not a JW child, and I loved Christmas! I still do.

I understand your frustration with it because of all the work and preparation a lot of people get into. All of that is not necessary. If you don't want a tree and don't want to decorate it, there's nothing wrong with that. Just tell the family you are inexperienced and don't know how.

Gifts do not have to be extravagant either. I usually give homemade gifts. People always will need food, so food is a great gift. I read an article about a woman who cooked dinner for the entire family as her gift. I do not spend a lot of money on gifts if I buy them. I find things on sale all year round and put them in a box, and start wrapping in November.

Relax and enjoy the holiday. If you don't want to attach religious significance to it, that is certainly acceptable as well. Make it fun and not stressful.

I hope you enjoy the upcoming holidays, whether or not you do anything special to celebrate.

• Mahtaw
    Mahtaw

Guess its just hard for me to seperate it from religion. But I will just go to their christmas thing every year. Get em a gift card. Maybe its just difficult to celebrate something you never have and never really had a desire to.

• finally awake
    finally awake

you don't have to buy into the religious aspect of christmas. we raised our kids as dubs for 12 years, we quit attending in late November 2011. We didn't celebrate Christmas that year because we were still sorting out what the he** had just happened. By mid-January, thanks to this site and a lot of soul searching and talking, we decided that we could do whatever we felt would be enjoyable and fun, and skip the bits that didn't appeal to us. So in 2012, we had a great big fun Christmas, complete with a Sparlock tree topper and about a metric ton of presents. Next year we probably won't go so overboard. Since our kids have no interest in the religious "Christian" stuff, we just skip that. No baby Jesus, no church services, and no other religious trappings.

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

I'm 100% with you Mathaw,.

I see zero need to celebrate something that I know is based on a false religious premise.

I have children who I do not want to get sold into another form of slavery albeit less restrictive than the Jw sentence.

Way would a person burden themselves with such troubles I will never know. Caving into pressure to conform if you ask me.

NJY

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Christmas is totally for the kids. I love christmas. Jw's can pound sand.

• clarity
    clarity

Christmas or Xmas can be majic .... a peaceful fun time.

Neighbors & friends are in a good mood & will more likely get together at

that time. It is dark & dreary in December but the coloured lights & decorations

cheer things up. It is actually exciting to buy gifts & wrapping paper,

then hiding them till Xmas morning!

The pine tree has a beautiful smell as you drag it in from the cold air outside.

I am starting to wonder if the people who don't like Xmas are the ones who

live in a warm summer climate in December. No snow or lighting the fireplace...

I once saw Santa Clause paddling dow the canal in Hawaii in his red suit, didn't

really look right ....he was sweating!

So maybe all you guys hating Xmas come up to the northern hemisphere in Dec

& let the kids play in the snow.

clarity

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit