German Branch visit talk Mark Sanderson (Parents; don't hinder young children to get baptized)

by Daniel1555 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Daniel1555
    Daniel1555

The video streaming of the German Branch visit program was excrutiating 3.5 hours long.

I just went to see the last 45 min (part of Mark Sandersons talk).

I think Sanderson is quite a sympathetic speaker and he kind of made a loving impression.

He didn't mention controversial stuff (except for one thing I will come to soon). He mostly talked about how to find joy, even when life is not easy, and how much the gb loves the rank and file.

One point seemed soooo important to him. Parents and children. First he mentioned that he himself, the brother that is travelling with him and his wife, and the branch overseer (don't know the correct title) and his wife, they all WERE BAPTIZED BETWEEN AGE 9 AND 11. In other words, it is very good, if a child as young as 9 gets baptized.

Quite long he urged parents not to hinder young children to get baptized. He also talked about the reasons, why jw parents would possibly hinder young children for baptism.

The first reason he mentioned:

Fear of the parents that the child might be DISFELLOWSHIPPED later.

Second reason:

Parents wish that the child will have a good education and that it has goals in this regard.

He said (i recorded it): "At the various conventions this year, it is a real joy to see so many who have qualified for baptism, AMONG THEM WERE SOME QUITE YOUNG IN YEARS. You parents have to be commended for raising your children to have an appreciation for the truth and for encouraging them to make a dedication to serve Jehovah when young. Such dear young ones face many challenges at school and yet have qualified to get baptized speaks very well of the home training they have received. Well that beautifully expresses the viewpoint of the governing body. And now brothers I would like to ask you a question: DO YOU SHARE THAT VIEWPOINT OF THE GOVERNING BODY? ARE YOU HELPING YOUR CHILDREN TO BECOME UNBAPTIZED PUBLISHERS AND TO MAKE THEIR DEDICATION AT A YOUNG AGE?"

I felt the way he talked about this is a sign, that this might be a real problem for the gb.

• blondie
    blondie

Why are there no examples of 9 year olds getting baptized in the 1st century?

*** g78 8/8 p. 30 Watching the World ***‘Close to Infant Baptism’

The practice of some Southern Baptist churches to baptize very young children has come under fire. Richard D. Patton, chairman of the Southern Baptist Historical Commission, has declared that baptizing young children seems to “put us perilously close to the practice of infant baptism.” He indicated that 10 percent of the baptisms during 1976 were of children under the age of eight.

• zophar
    zophar
    As usual, Blondie is right on. While JW's don't practice infant baptism, they certainly encourage child baptism.
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

Can someone remind me, please? How old was Jesus when HE got baptized?

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

I believe, oub, and I could be wrong, that he may have been in the region of his THIRTIES.

Hmmmmm.

• blondie
    blondie

Jews were considered dedicated at birth...there was no formal baptism ritual. Christians learned, accepted, dedicated, then were outwardly baptized, but not as children.

Did Jews have bar/bat mitzvahs back then or was that a nonscriptural thing? Jesus baptism in regards to his ministry as the Messiah was at 30 years of age.

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

Thanks for the update

• millie210
    millie210
    Daniel1555.
    You parents have to be commended for raising your children to have an appreciation for the truth and for encouraging them to make a dedication to serve Jehovah when young.

Getting through the first decade outside the womb is not exactly what is meant by the term "raising" a child.

• zeb
    zeb

and hm children does he have?

when did he have to get kids to bed late ..again because of meeting attendance and then get them up tired for school next day on and on .

Jerk!

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Well, I guess you have to get your future JW's somewhere. They aren't converting new ones.

You can't drive a car or drink a beer when you are 9-11 but you can dedicate your life to Jehovah.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit