my first post and some questions

by wallievase 54 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

The governing body may be very well be sincere. But remember we used to say that there were sincere people in many other religions? But that they were sincerely wrong? Because for worship to be acceptable to God we have to worship in spirit and truth?

Once you investigate the doctrines and prove them wrong to yourself. Much of the religion falls to pieces. Then if you tear down your mental "golden calves" and apply your critical thinking to the Bible you may understand how some of us go from true believers to agnostics or atheists.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Hey Wallie,

Welcome to the board. Many here have similar circumstances as you. Advise will range based on what everyone has been through. Some here go agnostic or athiest, some are very devut, some have even converted to other similar groups (Mormonism). It is a very difficult group to paint with broad strokes.

More to your thoughts. I used the think the same way. Honestly however, does it matter in a material way if the GB is sincere, good people, or not the greatest? Does being a true believer in something that isn't supported biblicly, or that causes harm to others make it better than if they had selfish motive?

I would submit to you, that only the action or lack of action matters. Not the meaning behind it. We could speculate and create meaning, but the actions are the only things that can be verified.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

This is all a person needs to know about the Watchtower Society, the governing body, or their organization as a whole. . THE SCOTTISH TRIAL - 1954 .
    The following testimony excerpts are from the Pursuer's Proof of Douglas Walsh vs The Right Honourable James Latham Clyde, MP, PC, as representing the Minister of Labour and National Service. Copies of the complete transcript or parts thereof may be obtained from the Scottish Records Office, H.M. General Register House, Edinburgh, Scotland. The numbers following the quotations show the transcript page on which the testimony is found.
    Q. Is it not vital to speak the truth on religious matters?
    A. It certainly is.
    Q. You have promulgated - forgive the word - false prophecy?
    A. We have. I do not think we have promulgated false prophecy, there have been statements that were erroneous, that is the way I put it, and mistaken.
    Q. It was promulgated as a matter which must be believed by all members of Jehovah's witnesses that the Lord's Second Coming took place in 1874?
    (A short discussion of evidence given by Fred W Franz about 1874 takes place here.)
    Q. That was the publication of false prophecy?
    A. That was the publication of a false prophecy, it was a false statement or an erroneous statement in fulfilment of a prophecy that was false or erroneous.
    Q. And that had to be believed by the whole of Jehovah's Witnesses?
    A. Yes, because you must understand, we must have unity, we cannot have disunity with a lot of people going every way, an army is supposed to march in step.
    Q. Back to the point now, a false prophecy was promulgated?
    A. I agree to that.
    Q. It had to be accepted by Jehovah's witnesses?
    A. That is correct.
    Q. If a member of Jehovah's witnesses took the view himself that that prophecy was wrong, and said so,would he be disfellowshipped?
    A. Yes, if he said so, and kept on persisting in creating trouble, because if the whole organisation believes one thing, even though it be erroneous, and somebody else starts on his own trying to put his ideas across, then there is a disunity and trouble, there cannot be harmony, there cannot be marching ...... Our purpose is to have unity.
    Q. Unity at all costs?
    A. Unity at all costs, because we believe and are sure that Jehovah God is using our organisation,the governing body of our organisation, to direct it, even though mistakes are made from time to time.
    Q. A unity based on an enforced acceptance of false prophecy?
    A. That is conceded to be true.
    Q. And the person who expresses his view, as you say, that it was wrong, and was disfellowshipped, would be in breach of the covenant, if he was baptised?
    A. That is correct.
    Q. And as you said yesterday expressly, would be worthy of death?
    A. I think....
    Q. Would you say yes or no?
    A. I will answer yes, unhesitatingly.
    Q. Do you call that religion?
    A. It certainly is.
    Q. Do you call that Christianity?
    A. I certainly do.
    . --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- . . "A" was Covington - it can be found on page 347. alt . . alt . . Leolaia's comments say it all! . "Yup, it's the WTS's crack attorney Hayden Covington, giving the mother of all admissions on the stand. "We're false prophets ... and a JW has to accept our false prophecies ... and those who reject them are worthy of death". . http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/scandals/154997/1/Walsh-Trial-questions . Atlantis

• rebel8
    rebel8

I have issues with people who go from being a witness to losing all faith in god or the bible which seems to be the case with some members of this site. I just don't think you can let any religion change how you view god or the bible.

Oh. Why do you have issues with what other people believe, I wonder?

BTW, a religion did not change how I view god or the bible. Not sure where you got that idea?

Second-I don't feel the GB are bad people

Ok. I'm not sure if anyone here knows any facts proving whetheror not they are bad or good people, and feelings aren't facts.

• factfinder
    factfinder

The GB want to be obeyed at all costs, right or wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit