Armageddon Is Right Around the Corner!

by Cold Steel 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

If one were to poll present day Jehovah's Witnesses, what kind of a timeframe do you think they have for Armageddon?

Do they still discourage higher education despite the fact they've been wrong so many times?

One more thing about Armageddon...how do they think it's going to start? Will it just happen one day while people are standing around or will it build up? When they speak of Gog and Magog coming down to fight the Society, won't that happen before Armageddon?

• bigmac
    bigmac

i was baptised over 50 years ago---because Armageddup was just around the corner. that corner has come and gone a few times since then.

• Ding
    Ding

Any day now... most likely 5 years or less.

Yes, they discourage higher education. The end is ALWAYS that near...

I think the average JW expects Armageddon to start with a sudden war begun with a surprise attack like Pearl Harbor or the September 11 terrorist attacks.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Any day now... most likely 5 years or less.

While that might be what they would SAY............it is not how they are living their lives.

The vast majority of JWs that I know are concerned about their pension plans or 401(K) plan.

Talk is cheap.

They are not living their lives like Armageddon is coming "tomorrow".

Doc

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Armageddon Is Right Around the Corner!

In reality its a marketing scheme which this religious publishing house has been using for more than a century !

Yes even in the late 1800's the WTS. was stating that Armageddon was coming soon, that pointed year was 1914.

But don't singularly point out the WTS. alone for there many other religious money making Charlatans who've been

selling and marketing Armageddon as well.

• blondie
    blondie

*** w00 9/1 p. 28 Jehovah Always Rewards His Loyal Ones ***

Although work kept me busy during the week, I was soon attending Sunday meetings with Aileen. As we arrived for the meeting one Sunday in 1938, two elderly sisters greeted us, and one said: “Young Brother, have you taken your stand for Jehovah yet? You know, Armageddon is just around the corner!” I knew that Jehovah is the only true God, and I was convinced that this is his organization.

*** w98 8/1 p. 21 ‘We Have Done What We Ought to Have Done’ ***

We conferred with the Watch Tower Society about where we should serve, and then we moved to Baltimore, Maryland (1940). There a home for pioneers was maintained, and the cost for room and board was $10 a month. We had some savings that we thought would easily last us to Armageddon. (Revelation 16:14, 16) After all, we always thought that Armageddon was just around the corner. So when we started to pioneer, we gave up our home and dropped everything else.

*** w95 3/1 p. 17 par. 14 Living Up to Our Dedication “Day After Day” ***

Paul here was talking about the time when the Israelites complained against God to Moses when they “began tiring out because of the way.” (Numbers 21:4) Do you ever make that mistake? When you dedicated yourself to Jehovah, did you think Armageddon was just around the corner? Has Jehovah’s patience been longer than you expected? Remember, we did not dedicate ourselves to Jehovah just for a certain period of time or merely until Armageddon. Our dedication continues forever.

*** w94 12/15 p. 16 pars. 15-16 United in the Perfect Bond of Love ***

For instance, someone might reason, ‘When I first learned the truth decades ago, the end was “right around the corner.” But it still isn’t here, and who knows when it will come?’ Granted, no man knows when the end will arrive. Yet, notice the viewpoint Jesus urged: “Keep looking, keep awake, for you do not know when the appointed time is.”—Mark 13:32, 33.

16 How dangerous it would be to adopt the view that, not knowing when the end will come, we should plan for a full and “normal” life!

*** w92 11/1 p. 28 When Someone Calls, Do You Answer? ***

With the second world war still raging, I surmised that the end of this system was just around the corner, and my wife and I felt the need to warn people of this.

*** w86 3/15 p. 17 par. 6 Allow No Place for the Devil! ***

Impatience is another thing looked for by the Devil. We may sometimes feel that changes should be made; we want quick action, immediate answers. ‘This problem must be cleared up now, or I quit. I’ve got to have the answer to this question right now, or I’m not going any further. Armageddon and the new system have been “right around the corner” for years now. I’m tired of waiting.’ Be assured that the Devil is ready to sow seeds of doubt and revolt in such fields of impatience.

*** w79 4/15 pp. 7-8 “To Be, or Not to Be”—An Atomic Physicist ***

At that time many of us believed that Armageddon was just around the corner. (Rev. 16:14, 16) So we felt that we should devote more time to the preaching work, as Teije and Elsie were doing. Also, my conscience began to bother me because of my work. Was it consistent with Christian neutrality? We were telling others about the Kingdom, and Jesus Christ had said: “My kingdom is no part of this world.” (John 18:36) So was I part of it as I helped to produce instruments for war planes? (Isa. 2:2-4) On the other hand, in view of my years spent studying to be a physicist, should I give up such work? After much consideration, I handed in my resignation in November 1943 and began working as a full-time proclaimer of the “good news.”

*** w79 7/15 p. 21 What Others Have Said About House-to-House Witnessing ***

“In 1962 I concluded a study of Jehovah’s Witnesses with this observation: ‘That the New World Society will suddenly run out of steam is doubtful. Whether Armageddon lies around the corner or not, hundreds of thousands if not millions of people live each day in the belief that it does.’ Armageddon is still just around the corner, and there are well over twice as many Witnesses today as then. All signs indicate the Watchtower Society will probably double again in size during the next decade.

*** w56 10/15 pp. 613-614 When Will God’s Kingdom Come? ***

So let us first of all fully settle it in our minds that Jesus’ prayer will be answered, that God’s kingdom will someday be realized. But when? some may impatiently ask. Will it be another 1,925 years, or perhaps even longer? No, it will not. Fulfillment of Bible prophecy shows that the realization of the kingdom of God is “just around the corner.” In fact, the Bible shows that the kingdom of God has already been established and that for some forty years. How could that be? What is the proof?

*** w70 4/1 p. 208 par. 2 Building Disciples Having the Quality of Endurance ***

Since mankind is entering a most crucial period of history, qualities for survival are most urgently needed. We are fifty-five years into the Biblically foretold “time of the end” for this system of things, and the world stands at the very threshold of a “great tribulation” culminating in Armageddon, “the war of the great day of God the Almighty.” (Rev. 16:14, 16; 19:11-21) Endurance will be needed to survive this system of things and the war of Armageddon.

*** w67 5/1 p. 261 Where Are We According to God’s Timetable? ***

Ours is a most critical generation. Bible chronology and prophecies agree on this fact. We who live today stand at the threshold of Armageddon, God’s war in which the wicked will be wiped off the earth. This also means we stand at the threshold of the incomparable peaceful, righteous rule of Christ that is to follow. But how can we be sure? Because of prophecies and God’s unerring “timetable.”—2 Tim. 3:1-5; Matt. 24:21; 2 Pet. 3:13.

*** w62 5/15 p. 301 par. 20 The Faithful Creator ***

(Deut. 7:3, 4) This warning carries added weight, as we stand now at the threshold of Armageddon’s war.

*** w61 3/15 p. 185 par. 17 Parents, Safeguard Your Child’s Life with Accurate Knowledge ***

Standing now at the threshold of Jehovah’s new world, many youths may want to postpone marriage until after Armageddon, when selection of a wife will be made under righteous conditions and when marriage responsibilities will be carried out with none of the distractions that now plague mankind. Wise King Solomon advised youths: “Remember, now, your grand Creator in the days of your young manhood, before the calamitous days proceed to come.” (Eccl. 12:1) With the rapid approach of Armageddon, youths of the New World society should want to seize hold of the grand privilege that is theirs, that is, to give their all for the sake of the Kingdom, thus safeguarding their position at this time of the end. The single state offers greater freedom and fewer distractions, as the apostle said: “The single man is anxious for the things of the Lord, how he may gain the Lord’s approval. But the married man is anxious for the things of the world, how he may gain the approval of his wife, and he is divided. Further, the single woman, and the virgin, is anxious for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in her body and in her spirit. However, the married woman is anxious for the things of the world, how she may gain the approval of her husband. But this I am saying for your personal advantage, not that I may cast a noose upon you, but to move you to that which is becoming and that which means constant attendance upon the Lord without distraction.” (1 Cor. 7:32-35) So for a more undistracted life, Paul encouraged singleness, not marriage.

*** w60 8/15 p. 508 par. 21 Watch Yourself, for You Are Being Watched! ***

Never was there a time when it was more important than now for Jehovah’s people everywhere to watch their personal conduct. In the home, in the congregation, in the community, before ruled and rulers, inside and outside prison bars and iron curtains the Witnesses must put up a hard fight for the faith and conduct themselves according to Jehovah’s righteous principles of truth and justice. We are at the very threshold of Armageddon when Jehovah is about to destroy this satanic old world and everyone conducting himself according to its wicked standards.

*** w56 4/1 p. 206 par. 38 Making All Mankind One Under Their Creator ***

Man’s efforts to make this old world one and keep it running will fail. God’s Word says that man’s very efforts to bring about a unifying of the human race would be part of the evidences that we have reached the end of this old world, that we are at the verge of the battle of Armageddon which will destroy Satan’s world organization, and that we are at the threshold of God’s new world. His Word says that the time must come when they will say, “Peace and security!” as though they had gained their objective of world unity. Then, says the Christian apostle Paul, whenever it is that they are saying this, sudden destruction will be instant upon them as birth pains upon a woman with child, and they will by no means escape complete destruction at God’s hand.—1 Thess. 5:1-3, NW.

*** w06 5/15 p. 5 God’s Purpose for the Earth—Soon to Be Fulfilled ***

A New World Soon!

We are now on the threshold of a new world promised by Jehovah God. “There are new heavens and a new earth that we are awaiting according to his promise,” wrote the apostle Peter, “and in these righteousness is to dwell.” (2 Peter 3:13)

*** w04 10/15 pp. 17-18 par. 12 “Go About in the Land” ***

In our case, we are on the threshold of the promised earthly Paradise. What is the lesson for us? The apostle Paul tied in the Israelites’ situation with the counsel: “Let us therefore do our utmost to enter into that rest, for fear anyone should fall in the same pattern of disobedience.”—Hebrews 3:16–4:11.

*** w04 12/1 p. 8 par. 3 Highlights From the Book of Joshua ***

As we stand at the threshold of the promised new world, our position is comparable to that of the sons of Israel who were poised to take possession of the Promised Land. With keen interest, then, let us give attention to the book of Joshua.—Hebrews 4:12.

*** w03 10/15 p. 6 How Can You Make Wise Decisions? ***

We are on the threshold of that new world. Will you enter to enjoy everlasting life on earth under God’s Kingdom? Or will you be removed from the earth when Satan’s system is eliminated? (Psalm 37:9-11; Proverbs 2:21, 22) The decision about what course to follow now is yours to make, truly a decision that is a matter of life or death.

*** w01 2/1 p. 9 par. 4 Have You Made the Truth Your Own? ***

How does Satan use this tactic today? If we neglect our Bible reading, our personal study, our prayers, and our Christian ministry and meetings, we may leave ourselves open to doubts raised by others. For example: “How do we know that this is the truth as Jesus taught it?” “Are these really the last days? After all, we are already in the 21st century.” “Are we on the threshold of Armageddon, or is it a long way off?” If such doubts should arise, what can we do to remove them?

*** w01 9/15 p. 10 par. 3 Will Jehovah’s Blessing Overtake You? ***Because of Joshua’s fine attitude, he was among the few of his generation privileged to enter the Promised Land. Today, we stand on the threshold of a vastly superior Promised Land—a paradise earth in which blessings far richer than those of Joshua’s day await all who have God’s approval. Will such blessings overtake you? They will if you keep listening to Jehovah.

*** w01 10/15 p. 19 par. 10 Acquire a Heart Agreeable to Jehovah ***

In this busy world, finding time for study and meditation is indeed a challenge. However, Christians today stand at the threshold of a wonderful Promised Land—God’s righteous new world. (2 Peter 3:13) Startling events, such as the destruction of “Babylon the Great” and the attack by “Gog of the land of Magog” upon Jehovah’s people, are in the offing. (Revelation 17:1, 2, 5, 15-17; Ezekiel 38:1-4, 14-16; 39:2) What lies ahead may put our love for Jehovah to the test. It is urgent that we now buy out the opportune time and apply our heart to God’s Word!—Ephesians 5:15, 16.

*** w97 7/15 pp. 18-19 par. 17 Are You Pursuing Virtue? ***

Shortly before the Israelites took possession of the Promised Land, thousands of them chose to pursue vice—and suffered disaster. (Numbers, chapter 25) Today, Jehovah’s people stand at the threshold of the righteous new world. Entry into it will be the blessed privilege of those who continue to reject this world’s vices. As imperfect humans, we may have wrong inclinations, but God can help us to follow the righteous leadings of his holy spirit. (Galatians 5:16; 1 Thessalonians 4:3, 4) Let us therefore heed Joshua’s exhortation to Israel: “Fear Jehovah and serve him in faultlessness and in truth.” (Joshua 24:14) Reverential fear of displeasing Jehovah will help us to pursue a virtuous course.

*** w93 12/1 pp. 9-10 Natural Disasters—Is God Responsible? ***

In the pages of this magazine, as well as in other publications of the Watch Tower Society, Jehovah’s Witnesses have repeatedly pointed out that God’s Kingdom was established in heaven in the year 1914. Under the direction of that Kingdom, a global witness has been given for nearly 80 years, and today we are at the threshold of a promised “new heavens and a new earth.” Mankind will be freed not only from the ravages of natural disasters but also from all the pain and suffering that have been plaguing humanity for the last six thousand years. Of that time it can truly be said, “the former things have passed away.”—2 Peter 3:13; Revelation 21:4.

*** w70 4/1 p. 208 par. 2 Building Disciples Having the Quality of Endurance ***

Since mankind is entering a most crucial period of history, qualities for survival are most urgently needed. We are fifty-five years into the Biblically foretold “time of the end” for this system of things, and the world stands at the very threshold of a “great tribulation” culminating in Armageddon, “the war of the great day of God the Almighty.” (Rev. 16:14, 16; 19:11-21) Endurance will be needed to survive this system of things and the war of Armageddon

• Ding
    Ding

In response to Doc's post, when the GB sets a date (such as 1975) a number of JWs do act like they believe it.

Some sell their houses and quit their jobs in order to pioneer.

Still others put off needed medical or dental treatment, thinking that the new system is just around the corner.

Without a specific date in mind, JWs have to hedge their bets, although even then many make no provision for retirement.

• Resistance is Futile
    Resistance is Futile
    If one were to poll present day Jehovah's Witnesses, what kind of a timeframe do you think they have for Armageddon?

I would suspect that most would say 5-10 years if they had to cite an actual number. More often it's described vaguely as "soon" or "right around the corner".

Cold Steel, what would the average Mormon say if asked the same question? I heard they're required to have several months of supplies in preparation for Armageddon, is this correct? Serious questions, I'm not trying to be patronizing.

• cofty
    cofty

It is a bit ironic when an apologist for one apocalyptic cult criticises another apocalyptic cult.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Blondie...Kudos to you. lol

If all of us old timers had a dollar for everytime we heard that The Big "A" is coming sung to the tune of "The sky is falling. The sky is falling" by inapproperiate yet doing it on purpose GB Creeps, scaring us ON PURPOSE TO KEEP US IN LINE geeze , we would all be rich by now.

It would be nice to be compensated for scaring us born in children, with death and destruction, if we didn't go out and sell W & A...10 cents... to all of our kind and polite worldly(tm) neighbors.

I am actually SHOCKED that I am 64 years old.

For more than 1/2 a century ( 50 ) and 1/2 a score ( 10 ) I never would have dreamt in a million years, that ALL MY LIFE I HAD BEEN LIED TO by my religious Guidance Counselors aka The GB and the scary, everyone is going to DIE at Armagaddon , except those who sing Listen - Obey and get screwed, hasn't happened yet.

Just me, Lois

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit