My sister almost died.

by redvip2000 20 Replies latest watchtower medical

• whathappened
    whathappened

This doesn't surprise me. I know a couple who kidnapped their newborn baby out of the hospital, as the judge was going to issue a court order. They took the baby to another doctor and it died. They didn't get into trouble over it which is surprising. This was about forty years ago.

• Scully
    Scully

This was a result of Rh incompatibility between your mother and your sister. This is so preventable, my heart hurts. Your mother should have known she was Rh negative. Your father is Rh positive. This was a known high-risk delivery.

I agree with jgnat. It sounds like your sister became very jaundiced. Forty years ago the only treatment would have been an exchange transfusion. Now we use ultra violet lights to help the body rid itself of the excess bilirubin that is caused by what is called Hemolytic Disease of the Newborn.

When mothers are known to have be Rh negative, they are usually given an injection of Anti-D (WinRho or RhoGam) in the third trimester of pregnancy and within 72 hours of delivery. This helps reduce the risk of antibody formation and prevent isoimmunization, thus protecting future pregnancies.

While these injections are blood products, they are considered fractions, so JW women can accept them if their conscience permits. I've only seen one person refuse this injection in my 15 years of practice, and that was because they had an anaphylactic reaction to it on a previous occasion. I have seen a JW nursing student refuse to administer it, but that's a whole nother ball of wax.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Bloody hell! I've heard of the RH negative/positive reaction mum can have to developing baby's blood, and baby will die without help. I'm so glad your uncle did what he did. Poor little baby.

• MissConfused
    MissConfused

This is an incredible story! Your uncle is a brave man. We should NEVER share with anything with any JW when undergoing any medical treatments as there is a good possibility of getting succumbed to the pressure. Glad that things turned out well. :)

• BobFlanagan007
    BobFlanagan007

Astonishing story that just goes to show how vile this cult is, good on your uncle.

Though non-JW related a similar thing happened with my younger sister and she doesn't know anything about the drama that unfolded when she was born. I wanted to tell her about it, however my couselor gently convinced me it wasn't for me to tell her.

• Adiva
    Adiva

I remember my mom being pregnant when I was about 4. She didn't come home with a baby. I found out a few years ago from my aunt that the little girl died because of the blood issue. If I were in a better place with my parents, I'd certainly ask my mom about it. Stephanie was her name.

Adiva

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

Wow. I am so glad your sister survived and your uncle had the courage to take her from your Mom and make sure she lived. I would have a hard time making a decision on weather to tell your sister or keep it quiet especially if she is still a JW. I am so glad I was never faced with that when I was in. I have a feeling I would have caved in.

• Mum
    Mum

Your uncle is my hero!

When a parent refuses medical treatment for a child, it should be prosecuted as a crime. Everyone who is related to JW's should know how to get a court order in a situation such as this one.

Your sister is a lucky girl.

JW'S BELIEVE IN HUMAN SACRIFICE!

• L3G
    L3G

redvip,

So is your sister a practicing Witness now?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I applaude your uncle. Children cannot make these decisions for themselves. Adults are misled by Watchtower.

Hug your sister.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit