Can you take someone with you in Judicial Committee?

by zound 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• zound
    zound

I've heard of a couple of cases of a person being present (maybe wife, or friend) for support at Judicial Committees - is this commonly accepted by the elder committee or is it just a rarity?

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

The elders book is clear on what is allowed to happen within a JC.

If I remember correctly, a person can bring a witness to testify on behalf of the accused but cannot jut sit there for the actual trial, if I remember reading this correctly.

I think a husband can ask to be in the room if and when his wife is the accused, but no the other way around.

I could be wrong, but that what I remember reading.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Shepherd the Flock of God, page 84 (bold theirs, underlining added):

11. If the accused is a married sister, it is best to have her believing husband present for the hearing. He is her head, and his efforts to restore her and direct her can be very helpful. (1 Cor. 11 :3) If unusual circumstances are involved or the elders feel it would be best not to invite the husband because of their concerns for the safety of the wife, the elders should call the branch office.
    12. If the accused is a married brother, his wife would normally not attend the hearing. However, if the husband wants his wife to be present, she may attend a portion of the hearing. The judicial committee should maintain confidentiality.

Page 85 (bold and italics theirs, underlining added):

Meeting With Baptized Minors
    14. It is best to meet with the youth and his Christian parents, since they have the responsibility to raise and train him. If the accused is living in the home of his believing parents but is no longer a minor, the elders would not generally invite the parents to the hearing. However, if the accused living in his parents' home has recently become an adult and the parents ask to be present and the accused has no objection, the judicial committee may decide to allow them to attend a portion of the hearing.

Page 90 (bold theirs, underlining added):

3. Hear only those witnesses who have relevant testimony regarding the alleged wrongdoing. Those who intend to testify only about the character of the accused should not be allowed to do so. The witnesses should not hear details and testimony of other witnesses. Observers should not be present for moral support. Recording devices shonld not be allowed.
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher

A certain marsupial comes to mind - Kangaroo!!

• St George of England
    St George of England

If I was ever called to a JC I would write to the elders and tell them to schedule it to start after 9:00 a.m. and finish before 5:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, as I would be bringing my solicitor.

George

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

Recording should not be allowed... well... if it ever happens to me... I WILL record it and I will tell them AFTERWARDS ...

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

St George of England:

If I was ever called to a JC I would write to the elders and tell them to schedule it to start after 9:00 a.m. and finish before 5:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, as I would be bringing my solicitor.

Shepherd the Flock of God, page 84 (bold theirs):

If the Accused Threatens legal Action
    17. If the accused threatens legal action against the elders, the elders should suspend proceedings and promptly telephone the branch office.
  • DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

The thing is with a JC that when these happens they would probably disfellowship you without hearing you... at least: with apostacy you do not even have to attend... they will have the JC anyways

• label licker
    label licker

At my jc, the elders asked that my df'd hubby not be there for the holy spirit could be hindered and there wouldn't be a proper flow of it throughout my jc. I said absolutely no way and that he stays by my side. So glad the holy spirit was on our side for three out of the five accusers were thrown out.( One of them being an elder fillin circuit overseer on this body) Had it not been for hubby to raise his hand to say that the accusations that I was accused of actually were with them and hubby. Not I:)

• label licker
    label licker

Plus, they did say IF I have a recorder on me and I said yeah yeah, then they said there shouldn't be one while the meeting is going on and again I said yeah yeah. Remember to do that so you have let them think your in agreement with them on that yet your saying yeah yeah to the fact you do have one on you. I told the co afterwards and he said he would like it. That if there were any wrong doing on it that he would right my wrong. Just before that he said he couldn't help me for the whole body of elders were on board with the decision of my judgement call. Don't trust noone. Always protect yourself with a recording device. Haven't heard back from the co.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit