Getting Rid of Left-Over JW Superstitions

by GloomySunday 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GloomySunday
    GloomySunday

@exwhyzee

Thanks.

Yeah, I figured that might be the case. I have noticed that tactic they pull. Sometimes they do it the other way around, like when about to discuss boogeymen like "apostates" or evolution, they start out by saying things like "Remember when you first found out about the truth? How it made you so happy, and was sound in logic?", then they bring in the scary stuff by saying "Well, some people want to rob you of that." Then they bring in the enemies. Which is really emotional appeal.

You're right. I remember trying to get help all the time, and only getting "Well, Rome wasn't built in a day, y'know.". None of them recommended doctors, or therapists.

@BluesBrother

Thanks. I couldn't quite recall. It sounds like something they'd do.

My Mother always looks at things like that. She blames every bad thing that happens in her life on "Satan", and every good thing on "Jehovah".

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I remember that often at the conventions, the dubs would have stories about someone who prayed to God for a sign, and immediately, some JWs knocked at the door. It made everyone all warm and fuzzy, you know you must have the right religion, if that happened. Funny thing is, the Mormons have the same stories, other religions too. Sometimes they use the same, exact stories, they just change the details where appropriate.

People have a lot of incorrect notions about the laws of probability. For example, if you toss a coin, every time there is a fifty/fifty chance of either heads or tails. But what if the coin land on heads ten times in a row, what are the odds it will be heads again? You might think because the odds are against the coin landing eleven tines in a row, the next roll is more likely tails. That is incorrect, every time you toss the coin, the chances are 50/50, no matter what happened previously. At the beginning of the first roll, you could guess that the same side eleven times in a row is unlikely, but every individual roll is 50/50. Gamblers which are down on their luck sometimes engage in this magical thinking, they think they have to win the next time, because they lost so many times before, when that is completely at odds with the truth.

When you think about it, why would God, if he exists, give you a sign, and not someone else? And why would the sign be so obscure, that you are not sure if he gave you a sign or not? Are you better than the next poor slob who wonders if God exists? I think some people see it as some kind of test they have to pass, like if they just believe enough, God will reveal himself, but if that is true, it did not happen to me in thirty years of praying about it, so I reject that possibility.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I've been diagnosed by doctors as having O.C.D.

Oh, well that explains the coin flipping thing then.

Thought stopping (see previous link I posted), along with other Cognitive Behavioral Therapies, are effective for OCD if I recall correctly. There are group therapies that may help enormously.

Also medication is quite effective too.

Cheers. You've got a full plate but you can get through this.

• GloomySunday
    GloomySunday

@LisaRose

Yeah, I've heard those stories before, along with the demon stories. I've gotten over the demon phobia though. The coin tossing thing never has consistency. I think it's just an illusion, or bad chance.

I know. You're right. I mean, tons of other religions claim the same thing. They've even written books on the matter. I'm just being silly, really. It's just part of my disorder, I suppose.

@rebel8

Thanks, Rebel. I'm planning on trying that very soon. I have some doctors who may be able to help.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Another thing is, if you do read the washtowel littera-trash, be sure to cross-reference it immediately. Remember, they are bound to scripture whether scripture is accurate or not because they boast about abiding by scripture. Thus, whether you believe the LIE-ble or not, or even if you believe that it was written explicitly to enslave mankind, check the accuracy of whatever they are saying in its name. If scripture doesn't back up what they say, whether or not scripture is valid or not, they already violated their pledge to be accurate to scripture.

You could also try to verify things by science. The washtowel will touch on a topic. While reading the article, do independent research on that topic through your search engine. Chances are good that you will get the mainstream version, and several alternative viewpoints. It is your job to research all, and use your thinking to try and decide which one is most accurate. Usually the Asleep! version will be the least complete and/or accurate, and more difficult to cross-reference references. Note this. Reality also helps--if you follow a piece of advice, are you going to isolate yourself from society or make yourself poor or less able to enjoy life by doing so?

This works as well if you are forced to read something, or if you blunder on something, from the washtowel. Just think about what that advice is doing to children. And how accurate it is. Also, the admonition that you must abide by their teaching, even if you can prove it wrong from their own scriptures, until they themselves fix it (or, if they make an even worse doctrine, you abide by the even worse doctrine). That alone ought to make you question whether or not anything they say is accurate, or if they even want it to be.

Then, just not reading the rubbish (at least not on purpose) makes sense. Beyond not exposing yourself to these doctrines (unless you wish to critically analyze them instead of relying on them), you are not wasting the time reading littera-trash. Of course, actually attending boasting sessions is even worse plus there is risk of being hounded to return to field circus (which people still sometimes go to boasting sessions despite not believing anything they say for family reasons). Instead, try and find a sensible doctrine and stick with it--one I suggest to start with is "Any volitional act that is beneficial to yourself or society is moral, while any volitional act that is harmful to yourself or society is immoral". The purpose is to find a new moral compass that works for you, and simple is best. You will probably change it as you develop, but the important thing is to not remain where you can be moved by washtowel littera-trash.

Which might save you from being scammed into an even worse cult down the road.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Try this.

JW's are batshit crazy.

• GloomySunday
    GloomySunday

@WTWizard

Thank you. I did try that once or twice. Like, this one time, they said that "atleast one scholar" supports their 607 date. Some guy named Rolf, or something. So I looked him up, and it turns out he's a JW, and all the other scholars think he's nuts. I find their failure to mention that he's a long time member rather deceptive... And this is something that I just did on my own.

I've noticed they tend to twist science to make it appear that it agrees with their doctrine. Like by misrepresenting how all of the continents were once united. They said that that's how the Kangaroos could've made their way back to Australia, even though it's absurd to say that these were all together a mere 4,000 or so years ago. And they did this twice. They know what they're doing. It's obvious.

@Narcissistic Supply

Haha! I like your thinking.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Have tried it? Did it help?

Yes, and yes.

I am familiar with it because I was a counselor about 300 years ago. I highly recommend Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for ex-jw healing, especially for those with depression or anxiety (OCD is an anxiety disorder).

Highly recommended book:

Anxiety and Phobia Workbook (older editions are great and can be had for $2 used)

CBT can be done on onself via a book or whatever. There are also therapy groups in some communities, and therapists use it.

• Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

Rebel: do you have a book or website recommendation for CBT? I saw some online treatment websites.

Do you know how I would find out about CBT treatments in my area? I live in the USA.

The on line therapy sessions ran $75.00 a session.

Any info would be appreciated.

Missy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit