Getting Rid of Left-Over JW Superstitions

by GloomySunday 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GloomySunday
    GloomySunday

I've been only out for about a year now, but still have some left-over superstitions, that I was hoping someone could help me get rid of. Firstly, I'd like to say that I don't think these are rational, but they keep bothering me, and I have some anxiety/paranoia problems that most likely are the cause.

I'm embarrassed by these silly things, and am young and have not been out long, so I'd assume this is to be an expected symptom.

What I usually keep doing is looking for patterns in everything, like if JWs come to the door, I start interpreting it to mean that god sent them, or some such silliness.

Or when Watchtower or Awake! magazines come out, I keep applying the topics to what I've been thinking about, or what has happened recently. This is something I used to do when I was in.

I've even gone so far as to do things like flip coins and see if when I say "If the JW religion is correct, may this land heads-up" then seeing if it lands heads-up. Which is usually seems to do, but one time I decided to write down each time, what it lands on to see if there is any consistancy, turns out there wasn't. Not too suprised there.

I can't even remember if JWs believe you can test god like this, or ask for a sign. Do they? Again, I think this is all some silly illusion, but I want someone to help me out.

Can anyone help me out of this sillyness?

With love,

GloomySunday~

• rebel8
  • rebel8
    rebel8

Or when Watchtower or Awake! magazines come out, I keep applying the topics to what I've been thinking about, or what has happened recently.

Stop reading the magazines. If thoughts come to mind without reading them, see link above.

I've even gone so far as to do things like flip coins and see if when I say "If the JW religion is correct, may this land heads-up" then seeing if it lands heads-up.

Wow. (( )) Keep challenging your premises so you have no question in your mind.

• GloomySunday
    GloomySunday

@rebel8

I've done that so far. I just quit reading them.

I know, I know, insane, right? I've been diagnosed by doctors as having O.C.D.

• Perry
    Perry

Romans 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

My JW phobias didn't go away until I got right with God through faith in Jesus ALONE. When you have an encounter with the Holy Spirit, you'll never forget it. No more fear.

"Where the spirit of the Lord is, there is peace"

• GloomySunday
    GloomySunday

@Perry

Thank you, Perry, for the kind words.

• Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

GloomySunday: OMG. I look for patterns too. The other day I was online to this board and guess who knocked at my door?

Yep. 2 Sisters from the hall stopping to remind me about the CO Sundays talk.

Then my JW friend stops by my work to see how I am. Seems she's worried about me. She never just drops in.

So now I catch myself thinking : what if Jehovah is sending them?..

REBEL: thanks for the link. I really needed that. I booked marked it. I never heard of thought stopping before. Have tried it? Did it help?

Missy

• GloomySunday
    GloomySunday

@Miss.Fit

I noticed that this never happened when I was in. It seems like something that I'm over-thinking.

I've heard it's normal when leaving high-control groups. We're just pattern-seeking creatures, I suppose.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Folks who read the Horoscope (or even fortune cookies) can convince themselves that what they've just read, fits their lives perfectly. It's what keeps the writers of this stuff in business. When you add O.C.D to the mix, you've got a lifelong customer. JW literature works in much the same calculated way. They write books and magazine articles that feed into basic human fear of the unknown. They remind the reader (with unprovable evidence and graphic photos) of his own fears, they create anxiety in him and then offer soothing but unprovable solutions that quell the anxiety they have induced. Then they convince or guilt the reader into to repeating the addicting process on a weekly or daily basis. Boom..you're hooked and they've got another lifelong (unhappy, afraid) customer. They're all customers too and they were lured in, the same way.

You're not being "silly" at all. If you'd have been rasied a Mormon or Catholic, you'd likely be having Mormon or Catholic related superstitions rather than JW related ones. The only difference is, Catholics and Mormons have trained professionals on board to assist their members who deal with O.C.D and other non religious challenges. JW' s have unlettered and ordinary men who have no business advising or diciplining people who may be suffering from a complex medical issue rather than some spiritual, moral or character flaw as is always their first guess. Most mean well but often the only thing they have to offer is "read the Bible, go in service, attend more meetings" " Don't want to do that?? We love you but Get Lost ! "

It seems like the only way around this is to develop a strategy that counteracts the obsessive religious thoughts and identifies the unproductive coping mechanisims you may be employing to soothe the resulting anxiety the obsessive religous thoughts are causing. Perhaps this site will offer some assistance.

The way I look at it is, since these fears and superstitions are God related, if he really exists, he knows all too well what you are going through and is on your side. If he doen't exist, your God based or Bible based fears don't have to exist either.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I can't even remember if JWs believe you can test god like this, or ask for a sign. Do they?

Er, no...they don't. At least the official teaching of the WTS is not to view things that way. I knew a "sister" once who used to always see things as though God was telling her something by what happened in her life, we tried talking her out of that view but she held on to it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit