Breaking News --- England Retain the Ashes. Up yours Aussies.

by Slidin Fast 16 Replies latest jw friends

• St George of England
  • Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Yan Biblian, The World Cup - fantastic competition but not comparabable to cricket. The only comparison is that they both use a ball. Yep Frazzled, we got a rained off draw but that is after two straight wins. There is nothing to say that England would not have batted out the day. I quite agree with you Yorkshiremen are good guys, i am glad they welcomed you. Where abouts were you?

JW facts, by definition England were not beaten, they were on the back foot though. I would certainly have preferred the match to be played out. The first test was a great finish. I was on the beach with Australia needing 20 runs and England 1 wicket. Nobody could tell me the score. I think it could have been that sort of a finish.

You have to admit though that Austalia is a shadow of it's former self. I am old enough to remember Denis Lilee and Jeff Thomson, terrifying fast bowlers. Shane Warne could make a cricket ball turn like it was radio controlled. Then if we start talking about the Lions tour...............

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I'm just a sore loser, though the 2 loss 1 draw result doesn't show how close it has been. It could just as easily have been 2:1 in Australia's favour. You are right that the team is quite average now. The team that had 16 straight wins under S Waugh was filled with amazing talent, and I miss those days as an Aussie supporter.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Slidin Fast - I was in southern Yorkshire starting in Sheffield where my brother lives and then walking the Penine Way in the Peaks District (Marsden to Edale). You won't get any dispute about the fact that Aussie cricket is in the doldrums (we have been there before - after the Lillee/Thommo era Australia fell into a deep malaise coutesy of Kerry Packer's World Series Cricket but then Captain Grumpy Allen Border pulled us out of it with taciturn bloody-mindedness and there followed a golden era with Tubby Taylor and Steve Waugh as captains when we were almost unbeaten for 15+ years - it is a sign of that success that you Pommy b*stards take such glee in pointing out the present state of our misfortune and then you rub it in by mentioning the Lions and the Olympics - I get ithere in spades working in London. But sport is like the economy - it is cyclical so enjoy your pre-eminence while it lasts!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Ah, yes. Cricket has its' niche in Canada, as well, thanks to the steady influx of Commonwealth immigrants.

http://www.stadia-sports.co.uk/flicx-portable-cricket-pitches

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Hey jgnat - what does your hubby think about organised sport? My missus does everything she can to to discourage my boy playing team sports such as rugby and cricket and only encourages tennis and swimming - lucky hse is not aroudn on Sudnays when I take him to mini-rugby. I remember when I first took him to min-rugby though - he sat at the side and wouldn't join in. I don't what she had said to him beforehand but he was scared to mix with the other kids. Thankfully he has moved on since then as I have gotten better at reassuring him about WBTS scare-mongering and tougher about stopping her exposing him to WBTS propaganda.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Ahem, I hate to raise this subject again but ..................

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit