Question regarding parental obligation to report to authorities

by gbrn 16 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• gbrn
    gbrn

I am relatively new to the forum, and not quite as familiar with all of the ins and outs of JW culture as many of you are, so I apologize if this is an ignorant question. It is quite apparent the WT has handled child abuse allegations in a horrible way, viewing it as sin as opposed to a crime. After an allegation is reported to the elders, and they are not required by law to report to the authorities, why don't parents simply go to the authorities themselves and report the crime. I know it may not be as simple as that, but I would like some thoughts from the forum. I don't know all of the details, but I remember hearing of case in the area that I live where the family went to the police themselves because because the elders would do nothing.

Looking forward to your comments.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yes, nothing stopping the parents from going to the authorities. There may be a cultural barrier, that is, once the parents have reported to the elders they have felt that they reported to the "superior authorities" and trust them to do what is right. I think this overawe of spiritual authority led to prolonged abuses in the catholic church as well.

There is one matter that concerns me. Elders doing their "investigation" may tip off the predator and result in him destroying incriminating evidence and covering up his tracks (threatening his victims) before proper investigators have a chance at him.

So the ideal is report to the police first, let them finish their investigation, then go to the elders.

Oh, so sad. More reproach on "Jehovah's" organization.

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

In the past there were reports of elders sanctioniong or disfellowshipping anyone who

would talk about a incedent . Considering it some kind of slander .

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Children FIRST.

Nothing else is important if children are not safe or have been injured or abused.

• life is to short
    life is to short

I did not have any children but I was threatened with being DF'ed if I told any parents we had three pedophiles in the hall. I was told I had no place informing anyone of what I knew. When I did tell one mom before I was threatened with being DF'ed she went straight to the elders instead of checking the internet like I had told her to or going to our local cop shop. After talking with one of the elders she let her little girl sit with the pedophiles family at the meetings (the pedophile had a teenager) because as the elder told me he had to convince her the pedophiles were safe. Apparently the elder did a good job in convincing her.

LITS

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Spot on JGNAT!

I've said to elders and others, that elders are neither required by Scripture nor qualified to investigate/deal with an accusation regarding a criminal offence. To the contrary, both the Bible and 'superior authorities' (normally) require that knowledge of a crime should be reported to the police.

Simple formula for elders to follow: Criminal act - inform the police, immoral act - deal with it!

• label licker
    label licker

As the elders told me in my jc this past week, that they would expect the victim and/or their family to go straight to the police. That it would be between the victim, the criminal and the law. Total different story we got from our other elder(serving on this same body of dim wits) who also is a fill-in circuit overseer that the body of elders have no say as to what they can do to pedophiles that they are to report it to the branch office. That their hands(the elders) are tied in these situations and that it's up to the branch office to decide what will be done with the pedophile. So, there still seems to be a lack of communication with the headquarters and our elders where pedophilia is concerned. I wouldn't expect anything honorable from these goons!

• blondie
    blondie

jws are told not to pursue court cases with other jws. Of course, it should only be monetary or financial but jws see it as applying further.

*** w97 3/15 pp. 21-22 pars. 17-18 Let Discernment Safeguard You *** Yet, what if a professing Christian actually defrauded us? Discernment can safeguard us from taking action that may put the congregation in a bad light. Paul advised fellow Christians to let themselves be wronged and even defrauded instead of taking a brother to court.—1 Corinthians 6:7.

18 Our genuine brothers and sisters are not ‘full of fraud and villainy,’ like the sorcerer Bar-Jesus. (Acts 13:6-12) So let us use discernment when money is lost in business ventures involving fellow believers. If we are thinking about taking legal action, we should consider the possible effects on us personally, on the other person or persons, on the congregation, and on outsiders. Pursuing compensation could consume much of our time, energy, and other resources. It might result only in enriching attorneys and other professionals. Sadly, some Christians have sacrificed theocratic privileges because of becoming overly absorbed in these things. Our being sidetracked in this manner must make Satan happy, but we want to make Jehovah’s heart rejoice. (Proverbs 27:11) On the other hand, accepting a loss may spare us heartaches and save much time for us and for the elders. It will help to preserve the congregation’s peace and will enable us to keep on seeking first the Kingdom .

*** lv pp. 222-223 Resolving Disputes in Business Matters ***

As recorded at 1 Corinthians 6:1-8, the apostle Paul discussed lawsuits between fellow believers. He expressed dismay that some Christians in Corinth would “dare to go to court before unrighteous men.” (Verse 1) Paul gave strong reasons why Christians should not sue one another in secular courts but rather settle disputes within the congregation setting. Let us consider some of the reasons for this inspired counsel and then touch on a few situations not necessarily covered by this directive.

If we have a business dispute with a fellow believer, we would first of all seek to handle matters Jehovah’s way, not our own. (Proverbs 14:12) As Jesus showed, it is best to settle a disagreement quickly before it escalates into a major issue. (Matthew 5:23-26) Sadly, though, some Christians become overly contentious, even taking disputes into secular courts. Paul said: “It means altogether a defeat for you that you are having lawsuits with one another.” Why? A key reason is that such proceedings may well reflect poorly on the good name of the congregation and the God we worship. We therefore take to heart Paul’s question: “Why do you not rather let yourselves be wronged?”—Verse 7.

Paul also reasoned that God has given the congregation a fine arrangement for settling many disputes. The elders are Christian men made wise by their knowledge of Scriptural truths, and Paul says that they are “able to judge between . . . brothers” when it comes to “matters of this life.” (Verses 3-5) Jesus showed that disputes involving serious wrongs, such as slander and fraud, should be settled according to a three-step process: first, endeavoring to settle the matter privately between those involved; second, if the initial step fails, bringing along a witness or two; and third, if the preceding step fails, taking the matter to the congregation as represented by the elders.—Matthew 18:15-17.

Of course, Christian elders are not necessarily lawyers or businessmen and do not need to act as such. They do not set the terms for settling business disputes between brothers. Rather, they seek to help all parties involved to apply the Scriptures and agree on an amicable resolution. In complex cases, they may wish to consult with the circuit overseer or the branch office of Jehovah’s Witnesses. However, there are situations that lie outside the realm covered by Paul’s counsel. What are some of these?

In some cases, a lawsuit may be a simple formality or a legal necessity in pursuing unselfish and peaceful ends. For instance, a lawsuit may be the only mechanism available in getting a divorce decree, acquiring custody of a child, determining alimony payments, obtaining insurance compensation, being listed among creditors in a bankruptcy proceeding, and probating wills. There are also cases in which a brother might feel compelled to countersue in order to protect himself in a lawsuit.

If such lawsuits are pursued without a spirit of contention, they may not violate the spirit of Paul’s inspired counsel. Nonetheless, a Christian’s priority should be the sanctification of Jehovah’s name and the peace and unity of the congregation. Christ’s followers are marked first and foremost by their love, and “love . . . does not look for its own interests.”—1 Corinthians 13:4, 5; John 13:34, 35.

*** lv p. 223 Resolving Disputes in Business Matters ***

In rare instances, one Christian might commit a serious crime against another—such as rape, assault, murder, or major theft. In such cases, it would not be unchristian to report the matter to the authorities, even though doing so might result in a court case or a criminal trial.

For further information, please see The Watchtower, March 15, 1997, pages 17-22, and October 15, 1991, pages 25-8.

(so does rape or assault mean child sexual abuse in the minds of many people? The real issue is protecting the organization's reputation at the sacrifice of the jw, even a child. Elders use this many years of conditioning that jws should not go to the secular authorities but to the elders. jws are conditioned to think that law enforcement are the enemies of the WTS and individual jws, looking for a reason to interfere with the "preaching." I have seen an elder now saying, Brother and Sister Spiritually Weak, Brother Pedophile said he never touched your son and it is his word, the word of a young child against the word of a good christian man. Your son is confused, lying because this brother had him stop running in the KH... I know that Brother Weak wants to be used more in the congregation, he wouldn't want to do anything to bring reproach on Jehovah... So the parents don't go to the police. Many non-jws would not go, afraid of the publicity and shame, uneducated to the issues of child abuse and add the pressure of not being supported by the elders to report as parents.....This happened in my family, as an adult and the oldest working in law enforcement, I found that was little they could do without my siblings testimony and her mother's testimony, and they were too afraid of the pedophile and the elders. But using my contacts I pressured the elders, the CO, the DO and a Service Desk representative to get involved with the pedophile being privately reproved. Still out there to molest others until 7 years ago...died, painfully, natural though.

So why don't the parents go to the secular authorities....I think your experience as or with jws is superficial if at all. I have dealt with non-jw parents, Catholic, who were afraid to go to the authorities. I have seen cases with Amish and Protestant religious groups where members are afraid to do something that gets them kicked out of the only group that they have known...the only way to God.

Child abuse/child sexual abuse is not a sin, it is a crime. So if you knew someone had been murdered by a jw, would there be some question as to whether report it to the elders or law enforcement? Would you report it to the elders or the police?

• nugget
    nugget

It is a high control group and parents trust the elders and god to deal with the matter. Some do report these matters to the police despite encouragement to leave things in god's hands but often parents are fearful of bringing gods name into disrepute and being accused of causing divisions in the congregation. They mistakenly believe that the elders will protect them from further harm. The organisation encourages mistrust of counsellors and therapies and promotes the view that they have the power to punish.

• okage
    okage

Referencing the 2010 Elder's Manual "Shepherd the Flock of God", Chapter 12, section 23, pg 133-134:

23. However, there are legal matters over which the congregation does not have authority and which may therefor be taken to a secular court for judgement without violating the principle of the spirit of 1 Corinthians 6:1-8. These include:
    * Getting a divorce decree, child custody and support, alimony.
    * Obtaining insurance compensation. If a person suffers loss or is injured in or by an automobile owned by a spiritual brother, it might be necessary legally to sue the brother in order to obtain compensation by the brother's insurer.
    * Being listed among creditors in bankruptcy procedures.
    * Probating wills.
    * Certain countersuits. For example, if a worldly creditor sues a brother, for his own protection, to file a countersuit even though spiritual brothers may be included in the action.
    * If a brother takes legal action against another baptized Witness, it would not be a violation of 1 Corinthians 6:1-8 for the one being sued to defend himself or to countersue. This is true whether the matter was first taken before the elders or not.

Section 23 deals with the only exceptions to a Witness taking another Witness to court. You will notice that there is no mention of criminal activity. Section 22 deals with detailing why you shouldn't take a brother to court. This one is clever in placement as sections 18-21 deal with handling reports of child abuse.

Section 18: "Immediately call the branch office." There is no mention of contacting the police in this section. The Elder is instructed to take direction from the Branch Office Legal Department according to "circumstances" (read HOW MUCH INFO THEY NEED TO COVER UP).

Section 19: "Never suggest to anyone that they should not report an allegation of child to the police or other authorities." There is no mention of suggesting that the victim should go to the police. It actually goes on to say that only if the elder is asked, to tell the child or his/her parent that deciding to report the matter to police is a personal decision. Mind you, these days, accepting blood transfusions is referred to as a personal decision.

Section 20: "When a know child molestor moves to another congregation, the Congregation Service Committee should send a letter of introduction with full and complete information about his background and current situation." These words are why the Watchtower Society is legally accountable for the actions of Gonzalo Campo.

Section 21: You have to see this with your own eyes to believe it. Page 132 says that if he denies the accusation, pretty much see if he's had any other sexual issues (outside of molesting kids) and decide if he's trustworthy around children. Page 133 requires them to ask questions about the accuser to determine if he/she has a history of dishonesty or mental issues, then asks if the accuser's family is known for lying or if they're all in good standing. Seriously not kidding about this. They are to decide if the molester is okay around other kids and if the molested is just a little attention seeking liar...specifically.

Then take into account that when judicial committee investigations rule in favor of the accused (as they are to do), there are numerous situations where the victim is told that the brother is found not guilty in the eyes of Jehovah and that further accusations of this man to other brothers and sisters in the congregation amounts to slander (an offense that merits a Judicial Committee hearing). So...yeah. No real encouragement or incentive among the Witnesses to report the issue to the police.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit