Question regarding parental obligation to report to authorities

by gbrn 16 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• gbrn
    gbrn

Thanks for the responses everybody. Thanks for the references Blondie and okage! I don't believe my experience with JWs is superficial, considering what I went through personally, but you are entitled to your opinion Blondie. I was just curious what your opinions were since I have no contact with my family/old friends in my area who are in as well as not having any ex-jw friends to talk to. Will have to tell my story one day when I feel more comfortable with the forum.

Thanks again! Seems like some great people here, looking forward to reading more posts.

• okage
    okage

I could be incorrect and I invite people to correct me, but I believe @Blondie's comment was only in reference to the subject matter, not your overall knowledge. I could be wrong and she could in fact be speaking of your overall knowledge of Jehovah's Witnesses.

To me, in your limited posting history (been a member longer than me), you seem like someone who is young, maybe with limited resources, who wants to be open about these sorts of things. Because Simon removed the post count, I'm not entirely sure, but I believe you have fewer than a half dozen posts here in a year and a half. I wrote a post a few days ago about lurkers (I'm not such a fan of the indirect connotations of that word) that I hold true to.
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/experiences/258891/1/For-the-Lurkers-You-are-not-alone
    You should give it a read if you haven't yet. I didn't expect anyone to post on it because the subject matter was directed at people who aren't public yet, but it's got almost 800 views so far.

This is a great place to let your eagle fly, but most of us understand that there is a time and place for when someone is ready for that to happen. One day, you will be comfortable sharing your story and you will be welcomed with open arms and complete understanding by many. Some will give stoic grunts while others will be silent but peacefully recognizing that someone took the big first step.

We don't "love bomb" here on JWN because we respect anyone's right to choose their comfort zone for whatever reason they have. We know you've got your reasons. You've got your story to tell. And you will find no other place on the internet that knows and understands where you're coming from better than JWN.

We look forward to hearing from you when you're ready. gbrn.

• gbrn
    gbrn

Thanks for the kind words okage! I will check that thread, thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to sharing my story when I'm ready. I appreciate the "love bomb" comment especially!

• gbrn
    gbrn

I was debating on if I would mention this or not, but after reading everyone's responses I couldn't stop thinking about it today. I won't go into detail, but I unfortunately had this experience happen to me as a child growing up in the 80s. There was a private reproof of the individual a couple years after what happened. My family switched halls after I told them everything. They pursued and pursued the elders about it. I was a kid, fairly sharp I guess, but painfully shy and guilt/shame ridden for even the slightest things. I still don't know all of what went down with my parents and the elders. I was kind of kept in the dark, I don't know if they thought that they were doing this to protect me. I look back now being in my early 30s and recognize they thought they were doing the right thing.

My therapist has helped me direct the anger towards the real source, and to handle it effectively. In case anyone is curious, I faded quickly about 3 years ago - not disfellowshipped, but I'm still effectively shunned by all of my family. I don't talk to any of my old "friends" either. Last I heard there were some pretty wild/untrue rumors out there about me. I'm at the point where I don't care.

I guess the reason I started this thread was to fish for stories about Witness parents who actually went to the police regarding child abuse from someone in the congregation. Sadly I haven't heard of any. As I mentioned in the first post, I had heard a story of a family several years ago who did go to the police regarding child abuse. I have no clue if this is even true, and no way to substantiate it. I guess in the back of my head, I thought that if I heard a story where a family did the proper thing and immediately went to the police, it would help alleviate some anger, knowing that there are some people out there who will do the right thing despite being part of a cult.

Wow! I didn't expect to write that. Sorry if I was long winded. Thanks for reading, it felt good to get that out there.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I agree. Wouldn't it be wonderful to hear about a JW family that went to the police and reported the abuse? Wouldn't it be wonderful to hear about an elder actually going with the family to the police to support them while they report the crime? Wouldn't it be wonderful if the elders immediately warned the congregation about pedophiles? I just think people have a right to know, to protect their kids more effectively. There's a lot of unearned trust in the wtbts -- assuming someone is good and moral because he/she is a JW.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Gbm welcome. Thank you for sharing with us. I can appreciate how hard that is to talk about. Best wishes and take care.

• zeb
    zeb

Gbm.

A 'brother' did me in a business deal. The elders told me if i took him to court they df me. (He had no money anyway) Later when he came into money, guess what? The notes of our committeee meeting could not be found, Well Well! I pushed this and then was told it wasnt a "real commitee meeting". ?

This was a long time ago BUT this is how the wts works i have changed and moved on they have not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit