How can I stop hating the JW religion?

by marriedtoajw 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I have been completely out for more than 40 years. My rage is enormous. I discuss it with professionals. Until I came here, I thought i was the only one. The only brake on it is to never encounter anything JW and make bold efforts to live your live in the worldly world. Limit your JW friends, family, etc. You need distance. Posting here helps me but it also enrages me further.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Great advice from Aunt Fancy ! My Therapist explained that unresolved anger causes depression, and if not dealt with , may spill out as actual violence toward someone. So, get help.

I asked her how I could deal with my anger, I could not strike at my dear Parents, even though my being brought up and then trapped in the cult for so long was indeed their fault. I could not strike at the WT in any physical way.

She encouraged me to study my anger, identify who it was really against, was it my parents, or the religion ? the religion won. She then said I should use as much energy and as many methods as I could to take a swipe at the WT ! Nothing illegal of course, and as my intention was not to get DF'd, it could not be too overt.

But posting on here has been helpful to me, I feel I may have helped some to see the WT for what it is, and hopefully to leave;. I am in the process of trying to get the Government to do more, this is like punching a big soggy pudding, but the process is cathartic.

I hope you find some way to get rid of some anger, and I hope it is directed at the real culprits, the W.T. The individual JW's are to be pitied, not to be railed against.

• marriedtoajw
    marriedtoajw

I feel like you do band on the run but I feel trapped. How can I leave and get away from this. My family is my life and everything I have ever done, worked hard for and sacrificed for is all tied up here in my family. It's like sleeping with the enemy but I don't want her to be my enemy. I want to love her but feel like I can't and she might feel the same way about me. Damn this religion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• rebel8
    rebel8

It's irrational to see a Watchtower mag or book and feel anger, hate

Why would that be so? Magazines and books are the instruments of brainwashing.

Feelings are not right or wrong, good or bad, harmful or not. They just are. They're the product of the sum of your biological tendencies and unique life experiences, guiding you to respond emotionally to a new situation. They are all valid.

Your behavior and physiological consequences of stress--those are things that can hurt you and others, and they're things you can control.

• sspo
    sspo

I despise the Governing Body because i feel they know the religion is a scam and the claim that Jehovah is using them is a lie when they know there is no communication between them and God but they continue the deception of the millions and enjoy living as kings.

I cannot hate people that have been brainwashed as i was, when i see them in the street i just feel sorry for them....wasting time.

I was a happy 22year old young man, good job, cars and women. I got sucked in along with by best friend in 1975, married a good looking JW, had 3 kids. In 2007 i left after realizing it was a cult, marriage fell apart after 26 years and oldest daughter has not spoken to me since March 2009.

I just feel blessed that i saw the light and had the guts to walk away from it all .....and now enjoy a good life without living in a fantasy world of a coming paradise.

I would never encourage the break up of a marriage but for me it turned out to be good.

• rebel8
    rebel8

William Glasser has some good points about taking control of how you respond to your emotions. His books helped me greatly with my anger. I think he goes overboard on a few points too, but overall I think his stuff is worth a read.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I hope you can find a way to see a counselor -- does your job offer such a thing? I found talking to a psychologist enormously helpful because it allowed me to look at the whole mess from an outsider's perspective. He taught me a lot about communication skills, and reframed my view of my family and the wtbts. I'm still benefiting from his counsel 30 years later.

• marriedtoajw
    marriedtoajw

I've know for quite a while that I needed outside professional help. I've been coping mainly by living in denial until moments of reality creep in and then I'm overwhelmed with anxiety and depression. I know I am never going to be a JW but I know she still hopes I might. She has staked her claim to her religious freedom and has chosen the WTBTS and all that it means to be a jw. After 17 years of marriage it feels like a betryal and I'm still sharing her. The way I'm thinking about things is the problem but can't seem to get passed it and don't think I can, ever... Being spiritually divided was never an option, ever...

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Married2jw,

If you are an upstaning dad and exemplary in every way....it give the jw's more cannon fodder to lay in to you, isolate and seperate you....is what i found. it was too much for me. Your a bigger man than me if you can put up w/ that nonsense.

I got fooled dude. I married a foreign JW that catfished her way to the USA. brought her mom and filed for divorce. I had no idea what i was getting in to. Those people are just effin batshit crazy.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    FadeToBlack - "...put an older WT next to it that states something contradictory and then ask which is it. You don't need too go far back."

LOL! Ain't that the truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit