JW attitudes to women

by Frazzled UBM 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

A very enlightening exchange on a Muslim website where a woman is asking for advice on wearing the hijab and that she doesn't like it but knows it's required.

http://www.onislam.net/english/ask-the-counselor/self-development/475271-hijab.html

a couple of exerpts:

Q.

...Whenever anyone asked me what made me wear it, I started crying out of the blue. One year has passed, and since it’s been summer, I’ve been going out with my friends more than usual. I’m the only one among them who is covered. It’s quite hard for me. I feel very uncomfortable and ugly. Whenever we hang out where I can take my hijab off, I feel a lot prettier and more confident.

A.

...Search for this sister or group of sisters, who you will love for the sake of Allah and who will help you reach this amazing status on the Day of Judgment, in sha’ Allah. Parting yourself from friends you’ve had your whole life is not easy; however remember Allah’s words in the Qur’an: “Close friends, that Day, will be enemies to each other, except for the righteous.” (43:67)

I know how difficult it can be to imagine your closest friends as your enemies, but there is such truth and sheer honesty in this verse because of how serious the matter is; Paradise or Hellfire.

Reading this makes me once again realize how important it is to keep women's issues a prominent topic of conversation among all varieties of religion. JW women will be told to 'let their husband take the lead', 'be supportive', 'win them without a word through exemplary behavior' and all sorts of other platitudes and Muslim women will be told that Allah wants them to wear the hijab, to cover up, to hide themselves from men, etc. The long and short of it is that in all of these polarizing forms of religion, women are treated like second class citizens - not truly as being valued and respected. So sad...

(the answer in the quote above is provided by a woman who lives in Canada and she's a psychologist and relationship coach, among other things)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit