JW attitudes to women

by Frazzled UBM 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

I would be very interested to hear from you ladies on this one. I know that the Society keeps women in subjugation through the headship cr@p but didn't ahve any sense about hoew prehistoric the attitudes are until the other day when we were driving out of the supermarket car park and my wife spotted a woman dressed in tight shorts (it has been very hot here) and she commented 'they say that women who dress like that dserve to be raped'. I did a WTF and overreacted 'how can you blame the victim like that - such attitudes give men a lciense to commit rape and make women feel they are to balme if they get raped which in turn means that rape doesn't get reported and it gopes on with impunity.'

I asked her whether she felt that if she was to dress provocatively and got raped that she would be to blame. she didn't answer sensing that I was in full moral indignation mode. Then I remembered that Serena Williams, who though not baptized was given the same indotrination and identifies as a Witness, made a similarly insensitive remark about that girl who got raped by two boys on a football field late at night in the US. I think she said something along the lines 'What was she doing there?' to imply she was some how to blame.

The underlying premise is that men can't be blamed for failing to control their sexual impulses if women dress or act provocatively.

My analysis of the portrayal of women in the Bible Stories book for kids reflects an image of women as weak willed and easily corruptable and manipulators of men (the implication being that men would be pure without such wicked female influence). Eve is the classic example but you also have Lot's wife, Dinah, Pot'i-phar's wife, Job's wife and the classic Jezebel. I know these stories actually exist in the bible but I believe the way they are structured and presented in the Bible Stories is deliberately designed to send a message.

So my questions are these: Have I correctly understood Watchtower doctrine? Is this message delivered explicitly at KHs and DCs and in the propaganda? If so, is the result that as a JW woman wyou are constanly on guard against the evil tendencies and so not trusting yourself and second guessing every thoguht and deed? If so that must be a terrible way to view yourself.

I would be veyr interested in your observations as it may help me to better understand my wife. Thanks

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My very own cousin that I once adored when young almost was executed by me. She is older. We played as toddlers but she was one year older so she was a legend in my mind. She did everything first. We live in different states but we saw each other frequently. Rather than endure one convention, I would have to attend my convention and her convention, too.

I am not formally out of the Witnesses. Nevertheless, I am out in my mind and soul. I wear miniskirts from Greenwich Village. Well, all my clothing, except underwear, is from Greenwich Village b/c it was the only place to buy it. She stayed a local yokel. It shows how long term exposure to Witnesses wears the best people down. We were peers once. She was fashion forward, too. Now I am fashion forward and she is a fashion dunce. It takes extreme restraint to not screech at her b/c I can't stand anything that comes out of her brain. I went big and bold and she narrower and narrower.

A woman was brutally raped in Port Authority Bus Terminal. It was a national story. The rape was very vicious. There but for the grace of God go I....No, our relation ship ended immediately, when she blurted out with glee that the woman deserved to be raped. Too bad she was not tortured, quartered while still alive, and wild dogs eat her body. It was not my cousin. This was Satan in JW guise. Next, she said with sheer viciousness, women in short skirts and low cut blouses deserve to be raped. They beg for it. Girls in blue jeans are so wicked. Guess who was wearing blue jeans at that moment in time? I thought it could get no worse. There was far more in store. Girls who walk through Port Authority are whores and should be gang-raped.

She was never, ever as bad as that day. I was shocked. So the specific girl who needs to be raped, humiliated, etc. The mind is incapable of grasping the bad htings that must happen to me, in particular. As long as I live, I will never forget the incident. I was used to dismissing Witnesses all the time with no problem. This was my cousin, my toddler, preschool, elementary school, etc. pal. Despite my lack of ardor, I was always not crap b/c I was her cousin.

The only thing I can figure out is that Debbie and my aunt must have always believed in their inner hearts that I could be restored to hyper, hyper Witness state. Maybe they imagined I would be the meek, submissive, brain helping the brothers write articles. Something I did must have altered their perception. I went from an exception to Satan Itself. Jesus could not restore me to sanity. Suddenly, I was now the Anti-Christ. The personification of all the Revelation characters. Well, my basic personality emerged. I wanted her to die. She should be raped - no, that is only a fantasy. Yet fantasixing something is not always bad.

I could write countless books about women and the Witnesses. Please, I am obsessed with the subject. It is my pet peeve. Education is very high for me but female ranks much higher. The sad part is I that I can't stop thinking after many years, why so many good women voluntarily die to save some idiot male's ego. Masculine men don't need to humiliate women. They are manly in the best way. Twerps humilate women. Emasculated men torture women. Because I fled for my life, I know many decent men who are so wonderful. I never met a truly decent men in the Witnesses. The worse the brother, the more the sisters love the perp. Yes, I read feminist articles about this phenomena. There is book knowledge and there is experiencing things in your own life.

I am old enough to evalute talent. Perhaps my experience was unique. I swear on everything holy that the overwhelming majorty of sisters were better Christians, more able to think, console, encourage than any JW man. Since I don't know any JW men, there must be a reason for this conclusion. I have no idea what it is like to be a JW male. My hunch is that JW men are as crippled as the JW women. We complain b/c it so obvious with women. Perhaps, though, JW men are just as hurt in a uniquely male way. There might be a balance. Both sexes minds and character messed up but in different ways.

There are outside cultural references. Son of Sam, David Berkowtiz and John Lennon's assasin. I know his name but I refuse to utter or write it. When I saw what they looked like and how they walked, it messed my brain. This jerk did that. We were terrorized b/c of that. With few exceptions, serial murderers and rapists turn how to be walking nothings.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Thanks for that BotR. So you confirmed my suspicions. Those attitudes are so denigrating for women. It seems there is an even bigger imperative to protect girls from the borg indoctrination though I hear what you say about the guys having their own issues. I think the reason my wife came looking for a worldly guy was because she didn't see any decent options at the KH. My brother-in -law is gay but my wife is like he is not gay he just has all gay friends and he has never had a girlfriend in his 35 year on the planet BUT HE IS NOT GAY. The capacity for denial is astounding. I really feel for him because he cannot show his family and be accepted by them for who he really is. He had the good sense not to get baptized though and spends his time on the periphery of the family. I think he may end up being one of my allies even though I haven't had much to do with him yet.

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

The tower is very denigrating to women. "The weaker sex!" LOL I'm am a married man with two beautifull daughters. They are are as evil as as any apostate.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

The Watchtower is a very male oriented organization. There really is no role for women other than as wives, mothers or in the door to door work. is it any wonder young girls are in a hurry to get married? They are discouraged from pursuing an education or a career, so what is left for them? The dubious honor of full time service? Two dubs came by today, when I informed them that I have asked twice to be put on the do not call list,plus called the KH, they said "oh, OK, we will tell the brother" as if it would be beyond their abilities to make sure I am on the do not call list. It makes me sick to think I was ever that subservient.

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

I know it's a cliche... but women should be able to walk around naked without fear of being raped. I really do believe that.

Most women I pass on the street or do business with etc, have their mouths totally exposed... do I have a right to ram it in? Of course not. Why would partial or total nudity of their other parts be any different?

Some may see that comment as crass... I think seeing it any other way is.

• Rose Mary
    Rose Mary

Bible is mixed on the issue. Genesis chapter 1 says He created humans in His image—male and female SIMULTANEOUSLY; hence God presents men and women as equal. Then you have an interpolated portion Genesis Chapter 2 and 3 where woman is shown as inferior and cause of mankind’s suffering.

Another sample is from NT. John the Baptist is killed by Herod for political reason, reports Josephus, the famous historian. Yet the Bible interpolates account of two women as the cause of this holy man’s death. WT is mostly based on interpolated verses in the Bible, hence they are strongly patriarchal. While being inside JWs, women cannot obey the God’s first command “be fruitful” which obviously means to unfold yourself, bringing out your full potential. (Genesis 1:28) For this to happen, you have to come out and behave like Joyce Mayer!

I did that!

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    My analysis of the portrayal of women in the Bible Stories book for kids reflects an image of women as weak willed and easily corruptable and manipulators of men (the implication being that men would be pure without such wicked female influence).

Yes I always felt that men in the congregation viewed me as immoral if I had an opinion of any kind. I felt they wanted me to sit in the background and be quiet in mixed company. I actually find I don't want to talk about this anymore, it is too painful - a terrible time now past thank goodness.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Oh yes, you are somewhat a 'less than' as a JW woman. You are often not taken seriously. Or, if you're intelligent, educated and outspoken like me, you are viewed as a threat.

What startled me was the sisters' view of themselves. I asked a friend who was about my mother's age, a sister who worked as a cleaner, "Pat, why do so many JW women work as cleaners?"

"Honey, that's all we sisters are good for."

Her view of her sex was very low. Many born-in JW women were like that, even if they were intelligent and strong. They were raised with that headship thing with their dads, married at 18, never their own 'spiritual head'. Not all were like that though. A lot called the shots in their family, and the husband was more a figurehead.

• Laika
    Laika

Frazzled ubm:

The day I realised I no longer wanted to be a JW was at a circuit assembly. I had already realised it wasn't true but was still working out what to do with myself.

This brother came to the platform to do his talk: Soundness of mind. He decided to illustrate showing soundness of mind by telling the story of a young woman who went on a night out and got raped walking home. His point was she hadn't shown soundness of mind by going out alone.

The lack of wisdom in illustrating wisdom by blaming a rape victim in a room of 900 people, where statistically there were likely rape victims present, was apparently lost on him.

I complained about this to anyone who would listen afterwards but everyone defended him. I realised then I just couldn't be a part of this anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit