Less than one third (1/3) of Jehovah's Witnesses will survive Armageddon

by Calebs Airplane 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

In the early 80's when I was just a teen, I was out in Field Circus one day when I overheard our COBE (called President at the time?) telling another elder that, if Armageddon were to come tomorrow, less than 1/3 of the congregation would survive. This was actually in a bakery as we were just finishing up and they didn't even notice me standing in line as they were too busy drooling over the pastries and talking trash about a ministerial servant who decided not to go to Field Circus that day for whatever reason. The other elder responded by saying something like: "Oh yeah, that explains Matthew:7:13-14" (the text about the narrow gate).

The conversation went on about how most of the brothers in the congo put in less than 10 hours a month yet they have time to take their families out to amusement parks, beaches, and other activities knowing that "The End" is just around the corner. They even mentioned that other congos in the area have the same issue. Eventually, they noticed me waiting in line and lowered their voices considerably. I just pretended not to hear anything, paid for my soda and casually walked out.

At the time, I think there were maybe 3 or 4 million JWs (I can't recall)... All I remember is not being able to sleep for days doing math and thinking: "How can God kill everyone on earth including 2 million JWs???". After that, I made sure I put in at least 10 hours per month until I got baptized a few years later.

What a wasted childhood! And what a f**ked up cult!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    our COBE (called President at the time?)

Strewth mother!! He must have been full of his own importance. We called them 'Presiding Overseers(TM)'.

Typical janitor with power mentality displayed by that dufus. The WBT$ comes first and must be slaved for before anything else. Mind you, I have to say, he learned well from the WBT$ how to twist scriptures.

The end was around the corner in the '80's too. That's one big corner!

May the GB suffer!

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

In the Spanish congos, Presiding Overseers were called "Presidents" (presidente)...

By the way, back then, less than 10 hours of FS was considered "left-overs" and a lack of respect towards Jehovah...

• vikesgirl101
    vikesgirl101

I've heard of Elders referring to certain individuals as "bench warmers". It seems like a power trip to me,so they can inflate their importance. They truly do not have a Christlike attitude!

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

Vikes Girl... I've heard the equivalent expression in Spanish ... batata (literally sweet potato) which in my region means "useless or having no worthwhile skills"...

but I agree, some elders do tend to talk trash about the "batatas" in the congo just to give themselves more importance...

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

In the early 80's when I was just a teen,[. . . ] knowing that "The End" is just around the corner.

There's another example of it being 30 years and STILL haven't gotten around that corner.

They are still trying to get around that corner today.

Doc

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

The Circuit Overseer in my Circuit made this same statement 2 years ago. His entire Service talk had the theme of 'you are not doing enough' and 'most JWs will not survive Armageddon'.

It was the last CO visit I attended and was instrumental in my quick fade.

On another thread hear yesterday someone made a comment that, if you want to know what Elders are guilty of, just listen to the prevailing theme in their talks. My guess is these CO's and Elders are probably doing things in their life they know are wrong, and their guilt is projected onto everyone else as a result. Subconsciously they may be saying to themselves, 'well, I'm not going to make it, so I don't think most others will either'.

most of the brothers in the congo put in less than 10 hours a month yet they have time to take their families out to amusement parks, beaches, and other activities knowing that "The End" is just around the corner.

The WT says the "End" is "just around the corner", yet they continue to do billion dollar real estate deals, build, expand and invest in the stock markets.

And a family going to an amusement park is a big deal, a "sin" ?

• Ding
    Ding

The conversation went on about how most of the brothers in the congo put in less than 10 hours a month yet they have time to take their families out to amusement parks, beaches, and other activities knowing that "The End" is just around the corner.

Jehovah's happy organization, the spiritual paradise...

"This is Locutus of Borg. Resistance is futile."

• Comatose
    Comatose

Just plain dumb. I've heard the same before myself. I used to look around the hall and try to figure out who would make it. I knew a lot would die...

What a waste.

When I was still JW, I had the same thoughts: most JW will probably not survive Armageddon. Because honestly: most JW are indeed 'bench warmers', no way better than the average church-goer. I always saw that most JW were only JW because of the social environment, not to worship Jehovah. They don't read the Bible, they don't study the Bible (at best they tick off their Watchtower), they are never up to date with new light, they only go into the field service because they have to. So what makes them better than worldly people? Just because they believe in other doctrines? Nonsense, faith must be proved by works. And I considered myself better because I did study the Bible thoroughly and preached zealously.

What a waste of my life!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit