Happiness/unhappiness

by lostinthought 25 Replies latest jw friends

• lostinthought
    lostinthought

I was told by a family member the other day "if you want to leave Jehovah, go ahead. But don't think you'll ever be happy. ALL the people I know who have left got burned by the world and they come back to the truth". So I said "all the people? Can I have some names as examples?" Her response was "you don't know everyone that I know"...so anyway this post is the happiness/unhappiness thread, I'd like to hear your experiences and how fulfilled with your lives (or not) you are!

• Pickler
    Pickler

I'm pretty happy in my life.

Sometimes I find it easier to be pessimistic about things (I think a lot of JW would have this ingrained), I think it's a habit.

but I'm happy to be in this world, and be a part of it...not just waiting for it all to end in Armageddon. It's a good feeling to know, this life, this is it, deal with it.

We are happy or unhappy BUT I think a lot of JW don't know just how unhappy they are. I know I have only realised how unhappy I was as a JW years after as I gained perspective on my experiences. And when I see how my kids live, the contrast between my life at their age and how they are now is shocking to me sometimes. No wonder I was unhappy.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

i didn't leave God i just stopped going to the hall so i'm like i always were.

• Leeca
    Leeca

Much happier. Have no fear about the future. Don't live with guilt anymore. This site has helped me alot with over coming these feelings.

l feel sorry for my parents who are still in. They still talk to me as i faded, actually very quickly. Just stopped going, nobody noticed that i was no longer going. At the time i was upset no one noticed. Now i count my lucky stars. No harrasment.

I haven't been DF'ed or DA'ed, well not that i know of anyway. l left about 8 years ago. No regrets leaving as i'm no longer living with depression.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Really happy now, have my beautiful daughter who has lots of friends, including gay ones. She can join in everything, Xmas, birthdays, halloween fancy dress. I tell you it has been such fun bringing up a child in 'the world' !

She is going to university in September and is a happy healthy girl with no jw hang-ups or depression.

I got a BSc in history after leaving that religion and I work in a public library. I like my job, I have a few really good friends and I go abroad every year and I'm having a blast exploring this beautiful planet.

Sometimes I miss my husband who died five years ago, but life must go on and yes I am happy - most of the time.

I have not been burned up by the world, on the contrary I volunteer one morning a week for a mental health charity and I find in enriches my life.

Life is what you make it isn't it?

• unfamiliar
    unfamiliar

Sounds like something my dad would say... because he doesn't know better.

I could never be happy PRETENDING to believe something! I'm much happier outside of jw, even if it's all new and big and scary. I told my family only a few days ago, I feel so FREE! I honestly don't want to behave the way they tell you to just so I can live with my family in what I call prison. I'd rather be out "in the world" and happy! There is so much beauty here I never knew existed...

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

I am like everybody else in this world. I have happy days and not so happy days. That is the way life is. But now that I am not under the control of the Wt. Cult I can say my happy days are getting bigger and bigger. I will be on cloud 9 when I see the day my kids have left the control of the Wt. Cult. Totally ADD

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Being in the WT cult was a terrible way of living. So being free from them, the life enjoyment goes way, way up!

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Getting burned by people in the congregation has hurt just as much or more than anything before I was in WT or since.

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

I was disfellowshipped in 1985 for asking questions of a scientific nature.

I was born into this cult. It was a tough go at first but I had youth on my side. I did lose my whole familly though. Parents, grandparents on both sides, siblings, et al. Those years were pre internet a very lonely time. It was hard to explain to my friends and especially my then girlfriend who is now my wife and her familly why my own parents would'nt come to my wedding. I think they had all heard about the witnesses but I don't know if they recognized it as a cult that divdes the familly the way they do.

Anyway I moved on and 27 years later life is pretty good all it takes is hard work. I have got two beautifull daughters with university degrees. I made sure that they did'nt grow up in a cult like this. Getting disfellowshipped, for me at least, was the best thing that ever happened. I am not a bitter apostate at all. In fact I know there are lots of older dubs out there who are trapped in this cult. I feel sorry for them. I am over 50 now I couldnt imagine waking up at this age to TATT now after spending your whole life in.

I would rather be drenched in honey and tied to a killer bee hive than go back but that might just be the mentally diseased part of my brain talking. Cults like the Catholics and the dubs are losing members especially in the developed world mostly because of the internet they just can't spin their lies lies anymore because it is so easy to chech them out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit