Canadian Pride

by Kismet 41 Replies latest jw friends

• borgfree
    borgfree
    I do agree there is much more anti-american sentiment here than there is in the US for Canadians. Rudeness and arrogance doesn't sit well with Canadians and neither does the threat of us losing our identity as Canadians to the US

That is one outstanding thing I noticed last time I was in St. Jacobs. The politeness of the people. I told the waitress in a restaurant that I had not been treated so politely (in the US) since I was a child. It was really refreshing.

Borgfree

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." Edward R. Murrow
  • Xander
    Xander

I do agree there is much more anti-american sentiment here than there is in the US for Canadians.

Yeah, but that's just cause we're too busy feeling sorry for you...you know, being Canadian and all....]

You do have some decent bands, though. Blue Rodeo!

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• Xander
    Xander

That is one outstanding thing I noticed last time I was in St. Jacobs. The politeness of the people....I had not been treated so politely (in the US) since I was a child.

From satirewire:

RUDENESS SURVEY PROVES MOST AMERICANS REALLY WHINY
    Majority of 2,000 Respondents Apparently Need to Seriously Get Laid or Something

New York, N.Y. (SatireWire.com) — According to a troubling new poll, nearly 80 percent of U.S. residents claim rudeness has become a "serious national problem," a finding that proves conclusively that most Americans have turned into whiny little bastards.

In the study, released Wednesday by the non-profit group Public Agenda, the majority of the 2,000 adults surveyed bitched and moaned about so many different "rude behaviors," like foul language and a lack of common courtesy, that it's almost fuckin' funny.

In particular, the so-called "Status Report on Rudeness in America" found that nearly 9 in 10 respondents came across rude, disrespectful people "sometimes" or "often," but failed to place the question under the category "Who cares?"

Also, unlike the old days, when if you were rude to some guy, he'd call you an asshole and you both went away happy, 42 percent of today's Americans actually believe the best thing to do when someone is rude is to walk away, while 36 percent say the solution is to be "especially polite" to the person.

Among other actual survey results:

¤ 62 percent of precious darling whined that rude, disrespectful behavior "bothers them a lot." Boo hoo.
    ¤ 69 percent of delicate flowers say respect and courtesy are "contagious," and these are probably the same people who wish Mary Poppins were real.
    ¤ Oh, and get this: 61 percent of sniveling babies say talking on cell phones in public places should be outlawed. Does the phrase, "From my cold, dead hands" mean anything to you?

Speaking to a reporter who had barged into her sad excuse for an office, Public Agenda spokeswoman Amanda Light, who seriously needs to see a dentist, said the survey was not meant to reveal Americans' thinning skin. Instead, she insisted, it was meant to show that rudeness is a serious problem that negatively impacts society.

Unfortunately, her helpful little "lecture" ended abruptly when she was shown a hand gesture that 87 percent of respondents would find "somewhat" or "very" offensive.

LOL! See, I don't think we are 'rude' so much as 'always in a hurry'.

Xander F

--George Santayana

• voltaire
    voltaire

I think canada is great. It's one of the coolest states in the union!

• Xena
    Xena

All I know is that from what I have seen Canada has some really HOT people living there!!!!!

• borgfree
    borgfree

Xander,

LOL! See, I don't think we are 'rude' so much as 'always in a hurry'.
    I go through, drive-through, fast food restaurants, about every day, the rudest people at those restaurants, are often also, the slowest.

It is very rare to have an employee at any store etc. to even say "thank you" today.

Also, sorry, I did not want to get too serious on this thread. So about your quote regarding "whiners" I think that is a @$^@*%$! rude quote.

Borgfree

• Xander
    Xander

. So about your quote regarding "whiners" I think that is a @$^@*%$! rude quote.

Uhhhh....bf......that's the POINT....it's satire, right?

It is very rare to have...

*shrug* - well if, you'd rather have them thanking a customer instead of moving on to the next...I prefer the haste myself.

Xander F

--George Santayana

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

You could add another reason why Canadians should be proud - Simon and Angharad are coming!

Since Canada's so heavily involved with the US, I wonder why they just don't merge? Perhaps call it the "United States of North America". I s'pose the Quebeqois wouldn't like it. The French never like anything, do they? But I s'pose they could be granted some autonomy, just like the Scots.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• borgfree
    borgfree

Sorry Xander,

That was my attempt at humor.

Borgfree

• Xander
    Xander

No problem...don't mind me....

Xander F

--George Santayana

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit