Canadian Pride

by Kismet 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

Ahh yes, I forgot about Poutine !!

Have to get some next time we go over ...

• Gopher
    Gopher

Kismet,

No offense at all taken! That was funny post.

Smoked mesquite gopher?? Hmmmm.... I think that would taste very funny.

What the heck is Poutine? And when will that Canadian/American restaurant be opening in my neighborhood?

-J.R.

This post was not evaluated by any mental health professionals.
    Any opinions expressed are those of a fuzzy, cuddly rodent.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Don't forget about ALL the land you stole from the Natives! So much for your Christian attitudes and practices.

Guest 77

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

It is funny that our patriotism seems to center around beer, hockey, the Tragically Hip, national health care and the '4:20'. You can spot alot of Canadians on this board because their signature is a beer slogan at the same time as it is an expression of their Canadian pride (lol).

We've had some great weather in southern Ontario over the last couple of days and you could just sense the restlessness a population that could no longer wait to get some suds into them in the great outdoors.

I like that we can laugh at ourselves and that our pride isn't in being a great military nation. And I don't think Canadian "pride" isn't so much being "proud" as it is a happiness living where you are and being who you are.

I do agree there is much more anti-american sentiment here than there is in the US for Canadians. Rudeness and arrogance doesn't sit well with Canadians and neither does the threat of us losing our identity as Canadians to the US

I agree that Cretien has certainly been an embarrassment to the country at times, but over time I have appreciated that he has understood the Canadian culture well and seems to have a reasonable grasp on the feelings of Canadians with regard to international matters. While he is no Trudeau, I think he is not as dumb as he comes across sometimes. (lol)

Path

• Prisca
    Prisca

Americans getting offended (despite their protestations they aren't) at a patriotic Canadian thread.

Ah, the irony!

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

May I present you, our God, Mr Gordon Downie.

"I might not know much, but I know that's a rapidly rotating, oscillating fan, that could take the head off of any daring young man raised on shoulders high, take their head completely off, spraying blood all around this room--all over everyone. Is that what you want? Is that what you want?"

• Francois
    Francois

I've never heard any Canadian jokes. I live in Georgia and we mostly make jokes about people in Alabama...just like every other southern state does.

FT

• waiting
    waiting

LOL 'swa,

Americans make fun of each other as soon as they're old enough to watch tv - because that's when we learn that "the other state" shor do talk funy.

When I lived in Indiana, we shuddered to think we could have been born in Kentucky, and anybody in Chicago thinks they own the Midwest. Of course, anybody born in NY knows they own the East as most people who were born in California could care less.

Americans are a broad-minded people. They will accept the fact that a person can be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater and even a newspaperman, but if a man doesn't drive, there's something wrong with him. Art Buchwald

I've learned through my business meetings and web icq (mostly USA & Canadians) that we're pretty much the same people - just happen to live in different countries.

Canadians are generally indistinguishable from Americans and the surest way of telling the two apart is to make this observation to a Canadian. Richard Starnes

Perhaps Canada has been known as "The Quiet Country" quite long enough and is trying it's vocal cords? LOL - that's one thing America knows how to do - be vocal.

Of course, if one had enough money to go to America, one wouldn't go. Oscar Wilde

We have more professional comedians joke about us than Canadians do.........hard to top that one, boys.

waiting

• Scully
    Scully

Gopher:

What the heck is Poutine? And when will that Canadian/American restaurant be opening in my neighborhood?

Poutine is french fries with fresh cheese curds and gravy. Like Kismet said, it's "a heart attack waiting to happen". Hubby and the kids really like it. It's way too nasty for me. LOL

As they say in the Red Rose tea commercials: Only in Canada, you say? Pity!

Love, Scully

• Amazing
    Amazing

First, Canadians never learned to count, as evidenced by the fact that you placed #12 in between #21 and #23 above.

12. We ALL have frozen our tongues to something metal and lived to tell about it.
    I did this when I was 11 years old. We had a Frig with a metal ice box in the middle. It was a hot summer day, and when I opened the Frig, the ice formation around the edge of the ice box looked very inviting.

I placed my toungue on it for a cold lick ... and it instantly became glued to the ice box. I was so embarassed and scared, that I ripped my tongue off ... leaving behind a layer of tongue skin. My toungue was raw for a month ... hard to talk. My first lesson in the laws of physics.

Thanks Kismet, this is a funny post. I never met a Canadian I didn't like. [8D}

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit