Types and anti types

by Deltawave 38 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Xanthippe
  • Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing
    You know what is sad? I wonder how many people were disfellowshipped for pointing out the exact same things that this article did. They are admitting they that they have "gone beyond the things that are written" for years, but when r&f members have claimed this in the past, they disfellowshipped them.
  • Deltawave
    Deltawave

Xanthe hall ppe
    18 minutes ago

Welcom Deltawave, good to have you here. I'm not surprised they didn't get it but many of us here did. They are trying to ditch the 1914 generation once and for all right under the noses of the brothers and sisters.

That is exact what is going on! All the hall was nodding along as the GB Blamed the literature for was in print lol

I think they forgot to mention they wrote that literature :-/

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I didn't read anything that said, " Our past teachings were wrong." All they have said is that they were less discreet in the past. No apologies for demanding unquestioning obedience, aka, the "WALSH" trial.

Let's not forget all the "apostates" who were DF'd for saying the FDS was ONLY the GB, which is now "DaTroof."

DD

• Magnum
    Magnum

Interesting. Do some of you really feel that they are abandoning the teaching that there is an application of Daniel chap 7 beyond that to Nebuchadnezzar - in other words, that they are abandoning the 2520-year "appointed times of the nations" teaching?

I never really thought of the Nebuchadnezzar/appointed times of the nations teaching as a type/antitype. It just seemed to me that JWs said that the Nebuchadnezzar incident was prophetic, as is a lot of the Daniel material. It's not completely clear in my head right now, but I feel that there is a difference between types/antitypes and explicit prophecy. In other words, some accounts in the Bible are explicitly prophetic and others have been considered to be prophetic dramas. To me, it is the prophetic dramas that supposedly contained types/antitypes, not the explicit prophecies.

For example, Revelation is explicit prophecy. I wouldn't consider the prophecies in Revelation and their fulfillments to be types/antitypes. To me, a type would be a person, place, thing, etc in a narrative Bible account (not explicitly prophetic) that represents something bigger or more important. For example, the account of Cyrus is not explicitly prophetic; it is historical narrative. To claim that Cyrus represents Christ is, to me, an example of a type/antitype.

So, again, the question, does the abandoning of some (not all) of the types/antitypes mean an abandonment of the appointed times of the nations teaching?

• JeffT
    JeffT

I just put a new post about this on my blog, "The Governing Body Saws Off the Branch It's Sitting On."

http://pathologicallyintellectual.blogspot.com/

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Only they could take something negative... being wrong... and turn it into a pat on their back!.. we're even more discreet now... fml

discretion 2.0

• Esse quam videri
  • hoser
    hoser
    I don't think they will abandon 1914. Then they'd have to abandon the overlapping generation.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Hoser you are right. They may say the daniel thing and the 607 thing aren't right, but they will always say there is something special about 1914. First it was pyramids, then the 607 thing, next it will be just because. The RF need less hard proof for things and just reminded to stay obedient.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit