I am amused by my new Job offer

by recovering 14 Replies latest social humour

• recovering
    recovering

I have just been hired as the new clinical director for a large company. I think the following email from them is hilarious. They want me to basically define my duties by writing my own job description. Take a look at the email I received from them. Either I am a hot commodity or they are the most trusting company in the history of business.

Quote:
    Hi Dr ............,(name redacted for security)

I am glad you and Dan were able to meet. We are excited for you to be helpful in the operations of the company. Can you do me a favor and email me a job description of what your responsibilities will be as you see them? I can then work off of your draft.
    I can send you an offer letter and a credit card application. Does Vicki have everything from you that she requested?

Thanks so much (name redacted for security) ! Again we are excited for you to assist us in making (name redacted for security) be the best mobile Urologic healthcare provider!!

(name redacted for security)

On Jul 25, 2013, at 4:34 AM, (name redacted for security) wrote:

> Dear Kathy,
    > I am happy to inform you that Dan Sr. and I had a very productive meeting on 7/24/13. We basically came to the understanding that I would be offered a full time contract Asap. The following parameters where discussed and agreed upon
    > 1 Guaranteed 5 day per week salary at my current rate of 655.00 per day for a total of 3275.00 per week
    > 2 I would be offered vacation pay
    > 3 I would be enrolled in the company retirement plan when eligible.
    > 4 All expenses would continue to be reimbursed by name removed
    > 5 I would not be participating in the company sponsored health insurance plan ( I am already enrolled in a health plan that suits my needs)
    > Dan said he would contact you to fill you in on our conversation in order for you to facilitate sending me a contract as soon as possible. Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter.
    >
    > Sincerely Yours,
    > (name redacted for security)
  • Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Congratulations! that's a nice daily rate!

• Listener
    Listener

Hi Recovering. I don't think they would be too happy if they found out you had posted their corro on here. I am curious too as to why they want you to fill out a credit card application, I've never heard of such an arrangement.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Listener, credit history can easily come into play when dealing with executive positions which this appears to be. They want to make sure their executives to be aren't irresponsible or have mountains of gambling debt that may encourage them to sell the building under their care or something.

Honestly I always viewed it as an invasion of privacy, but its not like anyone is being forced.

It is a bit odd to hear they would like you to write your job description. Perhaps you laid out a vision or what you can do for them, and they are going to leave it up to you to make that a reality? I could see that being a very forward thinking approach to the whole thing. Either that, or the HR person feels especially subordinate to you. That is eaqually plausible.

• recovering
    recovering

listener If you noticed I redacted all references to names

• finally awake
    finally awake

Perhaps the credit card application is so they can issue a company crdit card. I used to have a credit card issued through my employer to use for travel expenses.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

"Write your own job description so I can work off it" = I was told to write it but that's too much work. it's easier if you do it since I don't know all that much about it . I'll just tweak it a little and make it look like I know what I'm doing.

Fill out the credit applicaton = You will have a card to use for work related expenses.

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

I think posting the letter was recovering's way of letting us know he's 'doing very well thank you.'

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

best mobile Urologic healthcare provider

shouldn't take much work to figure out which mobile urologic healthcare provider just hired a new clinical director

Also, your answer didn't deal with the question. You answered with a sum of items that would be in your contract. But he wanted to know what your job description is, as you see it. You didn't answer that at all.

Didn't they already have a job description to help them find the right person with the right set of skills? What kind of company hires someone at significant pay and says, "well, tell us what you'd like to do here so we can make it official."

I don't know whether I actually believe this.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Or they are an extremely young and innovative company that welcomes you to their ranks in order to make use of your expertise to take them to the next level. Is the cup half full or half empty? I'd say the cup is half full. Go for it and show them what you got!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit