JWs and Gog and MaGog...What Gives?

by Cold Steel 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

So how does Gog and Magog pertain to Jehovah's Witnesses?

The latter-day battle is described in Ezekiel 38-39, and it doesn't mention Jehovah's Witnesses anywhere. The prophet does write, however:

And thou shalt come up against my people of Israel, as a cloud to cover the land; it shall be in the latter days, and I will bring thee against my land, that the heathen may know me, when I shall be sanctified in thee, O Gog, before their eyes. Thus saith the Lord God ; Art thou he of whom I have spoken in old time by my servants the prophets of Israel, which prophesied in those days many years that I would bring thee against them? And it shall come to pass at the same time when Gog shall come against the land of Israel, saith the Lord God , that my fury shall come up in my face.

So this great, vast army will come up against the Jehovah's Witnesses as a cloud to cover the land of Brooklyn, New York? And when Gog shall come up against the land of Brooklyn, saith Jehovah, that my fury shall come up in my face"?

The Watchtower states:

Still, Jehovah will not destroy at random. Some humans will be saved. "You went forth for the salvation of your people, to save your anointed one," says Habakkuk 3:13. Yes, Jehovah will save his faithful anointed servants. The destruction of Babylon the Great, the world empire of false religion, will then be complete. Today, however, the nations are trying to wipe out pure worship. Soon, Jehovah's servants will be attacked by the forces of Gog of Magog. Watchtower 2000 Feb 1 p.22

It should be a sight to see. How, do they suppose, will they come to be so significant to someone like Gog? Will a world tyrant wake up one morning and say, "Let's go make war against...lemme see...Mormons, no...Seventh Day Adventists, no...Baptists? Tempting, but no. Hey, how about the Jehovah's Witnesses? Yeah...that's the ticket!" Then one day they will sweep out of the North, meaning Canada, if they're going to be targeting Brooklyn, and thee seige will be on. Now it makes sense that a major force would attack Israel. One, Israel has powerful enemies, and two, the scriptures say it will be Israel.

Can someone explain this, seriously?

• FrankieGoesToHollywood
    FrankieGoesToHollywood

Gog, Magog is a prophecy about a final attack by villians shortly before Jesus "hand over the Kingdom" after the millenium reign. It has, of course, nothing to do with

JW in fantasy land!

• cantleave
    cantleave

Cult mentality states that all prophecy refers to the cult. The JW's, as do the mormons, belive they have "Truth" and hence the scriptures are talking about them.

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

All I remember about "Gog and Magog" was a thick yellow book we studied at the weekly book study in the mid 70's. That has got to be the most terrifying book I've ever read... I believe the title was something like "A Thousand Years (... ? ...)". Anyways, I was around 10 or so and I remember having constant nightmares about getting swallowed up by the earth at Armageddon because I had participated in a few "birthday parties" at school. Because of this, I was constantly falling asleep in class after being awake nearly all night or waking up at 3AM after yet another Armageddon nightmare... what a f==ked up cult!

Anyway, that's my 2 cents about "Gog and Magog"...

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

I remember that book from our book study. LOL now

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

Now JW's must be concerned with Google and MaGoogle.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

HAHAHAHA, Google and Magoogle, funny!

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

In some religions, there’s a debate whether Armageddon and the battle of Gog and Magog are the same. I believe they are the same, though there’s a very brief battle of the same name at the end of the Millennium. More than likely those who fight against God at that time will do so billing it at the continuation of the first battle and vowing a different outcome.

As one non-JW author puts it:

The Battle of Armageddon

Ezekiel knew that at a certain point following the return of the Jews to Palestine, and after they had built up the land and its cities, there would be a monumental military conflict which would precede the manifestation of the Messiah unto them.

Ezekiel said a great conquering host would come out of the north. He identified them as a massive military coalition of the people of Magog, Tubal and Meshech. These are three of the sons of Japheth, father of the Gentiles, whose descendants became the principal settlers of Europe and Asia. Their leader is identified by Ezekiel as “Gog,” who is the dictatorial commander general or “chief prince” over all these hosts. The Lord said this army would come over the land “like a cloud” and that it would be an unprovoked assault against defenseless cities. There would be savage fighting “throughout all my mountains,” the Lord said.

It is at this point that we digress long enough to examine the writings of Joel. His entire vision pertained to this period of terrible warfare and struggle just prior to the manifestation of the Messiah. We do not have any certain way of determining exactly when Joel wrote, but it is believed to have been long before this, probably in the eighth or ninth century B.C. The first two chapters of Joel have great significance for people living in an age of atomic warfare and mechanized cavalry.

He describes what the war against Judah will be like and the modern reader may well be astonished at some of the details. He says seeds will not grow in the ground, the land will be completely defoliated, “for the fire hath devoured the pastures of the wilderness, and the flame hath burned all the trees of the field. The beasts of the field cry also unto thee: for the rivers of waters are dried up, and the fire hath devoured the pastures of the wilderness.” Joel describes a great war-like people who use fire as a weapon of desolation. He says that “there hath not been ever the like, neither shall be any more after it.... A fire devoureth before them; and behind them a flame burneth: the land is as the garden of Eden before them, and behind them a desolate wilderness; yea, and nothing shall escape them.”

Joel tried to describe what he saw: “The appearance of them is as the appearance of horses; and as horsemen, so shall they run.” But these were like no other horses he had ever seen. Notice this bold attempt to describe the strange mobile units which he saw: “Like the noise of chariots [not horses] on the tops of mountains shall they leap, like the noise of a flame of fire that devoureth the stubble...they shall run like mighty men [once again the simile changes]; they shall climb the wall like men of war; and they shall march every one on his ways, and they shall not break their ranks: neither shall one thrust another; they shall walk every one in his path: and when they fall upon the sword, they shall not be wounded. They shall run to and fro in the city; they shall run upon the wall, they shall climb up upon the houses; and they devoureth before them; and behind them a flame burneth: the land is as the garden of Eden before them, and behind them a desolate wilderness; yea, and nothing shall escape them.”

Joel tried to describe what he saw: “The appearance of them is as the appearance of horses; and as horsemen, so shall they run.” But these were like no other horses he had ever seen. Notice this bold attempt to describe the strange mobile units which he saw: “Like the noise of chariots [not horses] on the tops of mountains shall they leap, like the noise of a flame of fire that devoureth the stubble...they shall run like mighty men; they shall climb the wall like men of war; and they shall march every one on his ways, and they shall not break their ranks: neither shall one thrust another; they shall walk every one in his path: and when they fall upon the sword, they shall not be wounded. They shall run to and fro in the city; they shall run upon the wall, they shall climb up upon the houses; and they shall enter in at the windows like a thief. The earth shall quake before them; the heavens shall tremble.”

It sounds very much as though he were attempting to describe a modern armored division rumbling across a city with cannon and flame-throwers spreading destruction all around. Joel recommended that when the people of Judah see this great gentile juggernaut sweeping toward them they should go into fasting and prayer, for without God’s help they will never survive.

He cried, “Rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the Lord your God.... Blow the trumpet in Zion, sanctify a fast, call a solemn assembly: gather the people, sanctify the congregation...let them say, Spare thy people, O Lord, and give not thine heritage to reproach.... Then will the Lord be jealous for his land, and pity his people. Yea, the Lord will answer and say...I will remove far off from you the northern army.”

Ezekiel was also told that in this hour of distress the Lord would manifest his power. The Lord said divine judgments would issue forth for a considerable period of time to keep his people from being immediately conquered.

The apostle John states that the source of many of these divine judgments would will be two prophets raised up to the Jews who will help them greatly in standing up this enemy. (See Revelation 11) And most Christians believe this is how the final great battle will go down. Taking his prophecy, which seemingly speaks of modern warfare, there’s no way any of this would be applicable to the Jehovah's Witnesses of the early 21st Century.

Or can it?

In all the articles I've read in the Watchtower and Awake! magazines, not one addresses these biblical prophecies as interpreted literally. They all speak of Armageddon being a final, monumental battle between GOOD and EVIL. And they're very indistinct about the identities of Gog and Magog.

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

Here's the terrifying book I mentioned in my post above...

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Calebs: Okay, I'll bite. What was so terrifying about GOD'S KINGDOM OF A THOUSAND YEARS HAS APPROACHED? I think I read it years ago, but didn't find it particularly terrifying. But then, I wasn't 10!

I do, however, recall being terrified when I read part of a book by Albert Einstein at about that age. The offending passage was (I'll never forget it), "The sun is slowly, but surely, dying out." It was an old book at the time, so how many years did we have left, I wondered.

Is there a place where you can read out-of-print JW books like the one you mentioned?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit