"Snakes will eat dirt in the new order."

by Comatose 89 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

mP:

I think the Moses or the authors who created him did believe in magical snakes. lets not forget the copper snake Nehushatan.

Of course. The writer (around the sixth century BCE) borrowed themes from other myths.

Idolatry (magical snakes).

Divination (Umim & Thummim).

Human sacrifice (Jephthah's daughter).

The so-called 'pure' worship of the Israelites was formulated from 'pagan' beliefs they picked up along the way and adopted into their own culture.

As was the 'law code' that they also borrowed and adapted from the Babylonians.

The story is not about fairness, its about authority.

Exactly. The main point is to scare the common people (the 'worshippers') into respecting the authority of their 'God', and more importantly, their priests.

• adamah
    adamah

Adam

2) the fundamental unfairness of God withholding wisdom from "perfect" mankind, teasing them with it by placing it in their reach, but then punishing them for acting like fools (those who lack wisdom) when that's exactly how God made them; that appears to be a clear-cut case of Divine entrapment (which isn't excused by miracles).

mP:
    The story is not about fairness, its about authority.

Yeah, but read my post IN THE CONTEXT it was written, as realize that once again you may have missed the point, and instead went on a tangent of attacking a straw-man of your creation.

For one, I never said the story WAS about fairness, so that's a straw-man of your creation.

I wasn't even talking about the goal of the AUTHORS of the original tale (which I agree WAS a depiction of the Divine Authority challenge), but instead I had moved beyond by asking the reader to step outside of the story for a minute to consider the fundamental fairness of the actions depicted IN the story, to question whether it's fundamentally "fair" (moral/right) for the God character to engage in such deceptive entrapment, in the first place.

Note that I even specifically used the word "fair" in an attempt to question the basic presupposition upon which the entire story is premised, and even intentionally avoided the word "sin" (since it carries the baggage of a God who DOES possess the moral authorty to dispense moral laws, by expressing Divine Will). I avoided the term, since if someone accepts that a God has the Divine Authority to define 'sin', then they're basically excusing ALL of God's actions, however morally-repugnant they may seem; in their book, God can do no wrong, cannot "sin" even if it IS "unfair", since "might makes right". That's an argument used to justify the actions of tyrants and dictators, not loving Gods.

(It's also an admission of God's morality NOT being "perfect", but more based on the whims of someone who makes up the rules as he goes. It's why Christians excuse God's endorsement of slavery, or condemnation of homosexuality, etc. If pressed, they can only come back with God said it's wrong, so it's wrong; God makes the rules.)

Instead, I'm trying to appeal to whatever sense of basic fairness persists in a believer's often-atrophied 'moral compass', which is exactly WHY I offered a comparison to those who hand out candied apples (with razor blades inside) to children on Halloween, mentioned those who violate Federal Law by leaving sweet-tasting antifreeze in an open container where children or animals could drink it, and why I offered the comparison of leaving loaded guns lying around the house where small children could play with them, etc. Those are ALL attempts to get believers to question the fundamental morality ("fairness") of analogous situations, since all are examples of "irresponsible custodianship/conservatorship", a legal concept. It's hard to see for some, but becomes easier to recognize by replacing the name "God" with something less loaded.

THEN, if someone objects only AFTER Jehovah's name is revealed to be the 'actor', the person rightly needs to consider whether they're victims of the "appeal to Authority" fallacy, since the existence of such a 'Divine Authority' remains an unproven hypothesis (whereas the existence of "inspired men" who CLAIM to SPEAK for such Divine Authorities IS proven, and ARE known to exist).

Adam

• mP
    mP

Adam

(It's also an admission of God's morality NOT being "perfect", but more based on the whims of someone who makes up the rules as he goes. It's why Christians excuse God's endorsement of slavery, or condemnation of homosexuality, et

MP:
    Im pretty sure none of us ever said god was perfect or moral or good. Jehovah is king and can do basically whatever he wants. This of course translates to equal immunity for his representatives kings and priests. That is the theme of the bible.

Xians are just liars, they conveniently ignore what they know is completely untrue.

• mP
    mP

Jeffro

Exactly the jewish religion is a straight copy of their neighbours. The struggle between pagan and jewish worship is about the priests wanting a monopoly so they get all the goodies.

There are no Watchtower publications that for example show or discuss the architecture of the temple of Solomon, because its obviously pagan.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

mP:

There are no Watchtower publications that for example show or discuss the architecture of the temple of Solomon, because its obviously pagan.

Plus the fact that the dimensions compared to the alleged amounts of gold and silver are physically impossible.

• mP
    mP

jeffro:

Exactly they dont want people to look too hard.

Just look at the animals sacrificed. 150,000 sheep, rams etc.

http://enduringword.com/commentaries/1108.htm

Then the king and all Israel with him offered sacrifices before the LORD . And Solomon offered a sacrifice of peace offerings, which he offered to the LORD , twenty-two thousand bulls and one hundred and twenty thousand sheep. So the king and all the children of Israel dedicated the house of the LORD . On the same day the king consecrated the middle of the court that was in front of the house of the LORD ; for there he offered burnt offerings, grain offerings, and the fat of the peace

. (62-66) The feast of dedication for the temple.

Then the king and all Israel with him offered sacrifices before the LORD . And Solomon offered a sacrifice of peace offerings, which he offered to the LORD , twenty-two thousand bulls and one hundred and twenty thousand sheep. So the king and all the children of Israel dedicated the house of the LORD . On the same day the king consecrated the middle of the court that was in front of the house of the LORD ; for there he offered burnt offerings, grain offerings, and the fat of the peace

What a gigantic stink that day and the ones following it must have been with 50000 dead rams, being burnt, carcasses rotting away and so on. I dont understand how anyone can honestly think that day was a good one, i find it grotesque. How exactly do you gather and kill 150,000 animals in such a small area ?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

mP:

Then the king and all Israel with him offered sacrifices before the LORD. And Solomon offered a sacrifice of peace offerings, which he offered to the LORD, twenty-two thousand bulls and one hundred and twenty thousand sheep.

Yep. JWs (and a lot of other religious people) go into what I call 'storybook mode' when they read those kind of 'accounts'. Same with when they think about 'Armageddon'. They just gloss over it without thinking about what it would actually mean. It's kind of stupid really.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I used to think about what these things meant, and it caused cognitive dissonnance. You would try to gloss over it deliberately using something like 'doublethink' for years. You are always kept too busy to really reflect on these sorts of fanciful stories. When you do stop and think, really think and evaluate, well, I ended up here...

• mP
    mP

Julia

Just think of the mess after killing 150,000 animals in a limited space. You couldnt even move that many animals into place. Its utterly grotesque to imply such pain and suffering. How exactly does one kill that many animals in one day. even the nazis never managed such a killing spree and they had machines to help make them more efficient.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

mP:

even the nazis never managed such a killing spree and they had machines to help make them more efficient.

Yay. Godwin's law strikes again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit