"Snakes will eat dirt in the new order."

by Comatose 89 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mP
    mP

Adamah:

While i agree that ther various terms we have both quoted are not exactly the same, they are referring to types of snake in general. A magical snake in the service of god is a seraphim, others are not. I think its fair to say that ordinary snakes are not called seraphim, because they arent flying and fire breathing. It would be stupid to use that term when it is obvious said snake was not flying or breathing fire. Its a bit like unicorn and horses. Unicorns are basically a horse with a horn. When you wan tto talk magical fantasy stuff one uses the term unicorn, otherwise in regular life we use horse. It would be stupid to use the term unicorn when we obviously have a horse. Because Gen, Isa etc are all trying to exaggerate and make everything spiritual and connected with god, regular snakes wont do, they need the extraordinary so they exaggerate. As a bonus this story explains in a scientific way (for them) how or why snakes dont have legs like everyone else. Of course there also exists elements of authority, the story shows that women are in subjection to man who is below god. In the case since god doesnt appear ine veryday life, that authority is given to a proxy the king and priests

• mP
    mP

To support the "subsuming Eve's will" interpretation of the curse, Paul later cites the Genesis account to explain WHY women should remain in submission to their husbands, so Paul clearly supports that interpretation: it was HIS (or whoever wrote in his name) interpretation. It

mP:

All religion includes a political and social forming aspect. the bible always wants to affirm this. Notice theres an entire book devoted to giving stuff to the levite priests but there are barely a few lines worrying about orphans, women and slaves. The one consant message is obey your masters. Jesus said the same. He repeated several times to pay tax, be a goood slave etc, but never condemns or has real concern for slaves or women.

• mP
    mP

mP, it seems you think Maimonedes, Acquinas, etc. can be considered trusted sources on the beliefs of those who lived 2,000 before THEY lived (an 'appeal to authority' argument)

MP:
    Perhaps you see it that way, i only referred to them as authorities confirm the basic thoughts of the ancients. I think from my pov theysimplt confirm what we can see from the text ourselves.

• mP
    mP

adamah

instead, if we have many INDEPENDENT sources confirming a certain event happened (eg destruction of Temple in 70 CE, from Roman, Hebrew sources; 9/11 terrorist attack on WTC, etc), then we're going to place greater weight on the claim, since the odds of collusion (eg citing some vast mysterious conspiracy hypotheses, etc) goes down significantly.

mP:

We are not talking about a single event, i fail to see how we can apply this logic in determing stuff about snakes. The best i could do was show some scriptures and refer to some commentators.

• adamah
    adamah

mP said-

" We are not talking about a single event, i fail to see how we can apply this logic in determing stuff about snakes. The best i could do was show some scriptures and refer to some commentators."

BTW, I think we mostly agree, based on the prior comments.

My point is that humans find it hard to agree on current events from our recent past (look at all the conspiracy theories surrounding 9/11 and WTC which seemingly refuse to die, since people will believe what they WANT to believe). Hence the challenge is even greater when discussing not current events, but BELIEFS of those who lived 3,000 yrs ago! As I said, it's more than a bit like quibbling over angels on heads of pins when discussing beliefs, thinking claims can be proven without doubt.

I ran across this which is plausible conjecture of a possible inspiration for the flying serpent idea:

http://www.wondersandmarvels.com/2013/03/flying-snakes-in-ancient-egypt.html

It seems the "historian" Herodotus (in quotes, since it's applying a modern definition in an anachronistic manner, where the goal of ancient historicans wasn't to attempt to provide a factual account of the events they wrote about) had a fancy for the flying serpents in Arabian/Egyptian mythology. He may have even seen dinosaur fossils that had given rise to such mythology.

http://artesian.blogspot.com/2006/02/flying-snakes.html

And there's this:

http://www.genesispark.com/essays/fiery-serpent/

There are many examples in Genesis of how the authors took a muted attack on the religious beliefs and mythology of Babylonians and Egyptians (remember, the Torah was supposedly written by Moses, who was claimed to have been educated in the beliefs of the Egyptians, as he was adopted by the Pharoah's daughter), so this might be the same case of deprecating their beliefs by depicting the flying serpent as being a creation of YHWH (admittedly clever) who was put in it's place by God by taking away it's wings. That might explain the 'old flying serpent vs ibis' myth which is seemingly reflected in Numbers 21, as well as the current appearance of snakes. (Remember that Isaiah was likely written 300 yrs later).

Who knows, though: hence my point that any claims of certainty of KNOWING what ancients believed have long been lost in the sands of time.

Fortunately though, we're only discussing speculative details of a minor point that's likely NOT needed to convince anyone who's reasonably rational that the Adam and Eve account is a modified version of a pre-existing myth:

1) if the talking snake and wisdom-bestowing fruit doesn't convince them (which may be excused as miracles), there's always

2) the fundamental unfairness of God withholding wisdom from "perfect" mankind, teasing them with it by placing it in their reach, but then punishing them for acting like fools (those who lack wisdom) when that's exactly how God made them; that appears to be a clear-cut case of Divine entrapment (which isn't excused by miracles).

If THAT doesn't work to convince someone, then the difference between a walking vs flying serpent being forced to crawl as punishment is not likely to be the final straw that convinces someone it's only a myth.

Adamah

• Comatose
    Comatose

Adamah - To take it even a bit more simple or more to root of the issue consider the idea of a test. If god is completely and fully incapable of wrong doing. If it is impossible for him to do bad. If he made all things in his image. If they were truly perfect Then why make a tree and demand they not eat it as a test? Why create a way to sin? Why the need to see if they will obey? Why would a test of their obedience and desire to worship him be needed?

I used to believe that stuff. How I don't understand. But, amazingly I did.

• mP
    mP

Comatose:

Trees were another magical thing for the ancients. If you think about it, trees are very impressive. They grow from almost nothing on just sunlight and water. From trees, ancient man got food fro their fruits, and wood was a really useful material for building. The bible has many accounts of Asherah who is a female fertility goddess representing by a tree. Trees are of course great symbols because they give life, trees dont kill people or animals, they mostly only give.

• mP
    mP

Adamah

There are many examples in Genesis of how the authors took a muted attack on the religious beliefs and mythology of Babylonians and Egyptians (remember, the Torah was supposedly written by Moses, who was claimed to have been educated in the beliefs of the Egyptians, as he was adopted by the Pharoah's daughter), so this might be the same case of deprecating their beliefs by depicting the flying serpent as being a creation of YHWH (admittedly clever) who was put in it's place by God by taking away it's wings.

mP:

I think the Moses or the authors who created him did believe in magical snakes. lets not forget the copper snake Nehushatan. its only much later that Josiah destroys it because its pagan and an idol.

I think your comment about Isa shows he too had a similar opinion about his religion as Moses. They really believe or want their audience to believe in a world where some snakes fly and breath fire. Notice i said some.

• mP
    mP

Adamah

Similarly, Eve's "desire" was for wisdom: her curse was that her "desire" would be that of Adam's, i.e. subsuming HER desires to those of her husband.

mP:
    I think you have come to the long conclusion. The text is saying women should remain dumb and leave the decision making to men because when they try and think they make major blunders.

• mP
    mP

Adam

2) the fundamental unfairness of God withholding wisdom from "perfect" mankind, teasing them with it by placing it in their reach, but then punishing them for acting like fools (those who lack wisdom) when that's exactly how God made them; that appears to be a clear-cut case of Divine entrapment (which isn't excused by miracles).

mP:
    The story is not about fairness, its about authority. Jehovah or his earthly representatives kings must always be obeyed. They are above the moral laws given to the common man, no matter how good or bad, just or fair. I think if you approach most stories from this angle you will often find this message behind the scenes. Many stories are confusing but if you try and extract from this angle then it does make sense.

Its always about power and authority.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit