Humility test - I shall have it ready when JW knocking on my door.

by Mr Fool 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

So, the only truly humble people are those with no convictions at all?

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Epistemology ( Listen i / ? ? p ? s t ? ' m ? l ? d? i / from Greek ?πιστ?μη - episteme , meaning "knowledge, understanding", and λ?γος - logos , meaning "study of") is the branch of philosophy concerned with the nature and scope of knowledge [1] [2] and is also referred to as "theory of knowledge". It questions what knowledge is and how it can be acquired, and the extent to which any given subject or entity can be known.

For anybody else who didn't know what it meant.

I have to side with Cofty on this one. You may not know whether we will have life after death, but you can reasonably conclude that there is no evidence that there is, therefore the odds are that there isn't.

• Mr Fool
    Mr Fool

Hortensia, that can be the case.

LisaRose, I see what you mean. There is no evidence of a afterlife, but there is no evidence to the opposite either. About the odds, even the most beautiful logical statement can be wrong.

What about this statement: I KNOW that UKU (out of body experience) exist. The experience that my mind leave my physical body when it is sleeping, visit locations with consciousness. The experience when I, with extraordinary awareness, looked back on my own psycial body asleep in the bed, it´s unforgetable. I have proven this for myself many times. I don´t care and I don´t even want people to believe or desbelieve me. I thought I´m awake here, but I´m not, far from. I have experienced moments where I´m much more aware then I´m here in this physical world, but I cannot prove it for others. Only for myself. The funny thing when it comes to the part when someone shall explain the phenomena, the diffrent explanations from the so called "experts" show me with their answers that they have no idea of how this kind of experience really are. But again, I cannot prove anything to anyone. But what I have learnt is that there are more behind what we normally experience in this physical world. This experience is an experience, not an opinion. Again, I have only proven it for myself.

Sorry if I have bored anyone with my foolish writing

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

I still say that "humility" is simply a displayed characteristic, and as it stands has no bearing on what your belief system is, or if your belief system is "right" or "wrong". Witnesses are not humble because collectively they are very selfish. ANY religious organization that believes they have the one and only path to god will always appear nice, but in the back of their head they are thinking "that's nice. I'm going to live forever and you're going to die at armageddon. but please, continue talking..." That hidden smug sense of superiority is what makes the Witnesses and Mormons, etc. lack humility... not whether or not their ideals and dogma are correct/incorrect.

A person can be completely wrong in their convictions, but as long as he presents them with meekness and lowliness of mind... he would be humble. The fact his beliefs are lunicy is a different matter.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Welcome Mr Fool, but I contend that your test shows only an indecisive man who knows nothing, believes nothing & knows nothing . I would say that he does not care.

"Does not have a point of view, knows not where he's going to......." Nowhere Man " - The Beatles

A humble man may have strong beliefs but is willing to listen to a well reasoned argument .

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Billy: Woo hoo! When it comes to humility, I'm #1! And my modesty is exceeded only by my great handsomeness!

--

When did you get re-appointed as an Elder, Billy?

• Mr Fool
    Mr Fool

Thanks for all replies

"A humble man may have strong beliefs but is willing to listen......"

Which means that he is ready to change his already strong belief to another.....?

I have a few more quotes about humility:

Pride humility

humble pride

• cofty
    cofty

Mr Fool.

Jehovah's Witnesses believe that their governing body is the "Faithful and Discreet Slave" spoken of by Jesus and that they are uniquely led by the holy spirit.

Are you convinced they are wrong about that?

• jws
    jws

Humility - noun - A modest or low view of one's own importance; humbleness

The OP asked questions that would judge whether somebody had an open mind, not humility.

• Mr Fool
    Mr Fool

Haha, Cofty, you´re testing me hard

It´s very hard to stay humble and very easy to look at their belief with arrogance. I have done it and still struggle with it. I didn´t even knew what you´re telling me about their governing. I wish I could stay open and aware for whatever they will tell me, but sadly for me I know that I´m full of pride. There is a possibility that I will fail in my humble quest (assuming their belief is screwed up)

It´s not surprsising though, I´m not a humble person, I only wish I would.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit