Humility test - I shall have it ready when JW knocking on my door.

by Mr Fool 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mr Fool
    Mr Fool

Hi Return Of Parakeet, i really like the Taost parable. Thanks for sharing

• cofty
    cofty

A skeptic is always open to evidence, a cynic is not.

Our beliefs should be proportionate to the evidence. Extraordinary claims like an afterlife require extraordinary evidence. Anecdotes about hypnosis don't qualify.

• Mr Fool
    Mr Fool

Thanks for the reply Cofty.
    A skeptic person with an opened mind, lovely. Unfortunally I have notised that most of the people I know are believers or believing skeptics. For example they either believe in God OR don´t believe in God in the way that they believe that God doesn´t exist.

There are probably many things we can never prove to be real in this physical world, but it doesn´t mean they don´t exist. How can we prove for a man born blind that we can see colours? And how can we accurately describe a certain colour for him?

• cofty
    cofty
    they either believe in God OR don´t believe in God in the way that they believe that God doesn´t exist.

God or no god is not a 50:50 question.

The evidence for god is nil. The evidence against god is very compelling.

I believe there is no god but I am open to the vanishingly small possibility that there is evidence I have not seen or heard yet.

• Mr Fool
    Mr Fool

Does it matter if it´s a 50/50 question or not? Is the question about the possibility of existing intelligent life on other planets in the universe a 50/50 case? Or is it more than 50%? Or less? How much more or how much less?

I have asked a few persons (among them a close relative of mine) claiming they have had NDE (near death experiences). They say they KNOW that there is an afterlife (much more real than this life) but they can only prove it for themselves. I don´t claim they have right nor that they have wrong. But what I have experienced is that when I started to believe in something, I mentally blocked myself. If I believe in an afterlife or believe that an afterlife doesn´t exist, I indirect mean that people who don´t share my point of view, have wrong. For me, that is not what humility is about.

Excuse me for putting up another quote here: "If you stay open and aware, free from opinions, no one and nothing can ever mislead you"

• cofty
    cofty

Then you shall never know anything.

The earth is not flat.

Do you agree 100%

• Mr Fool
    Mr Fool

If I never shall know anything, that I have no idea about. Maybe you have right, maybe not. I cannot answer correctly because I don´t know.

From what I have seen on tv, peoples experiences in the space and what I have seen with my own eyes when I have looked through a window high up in an airplane, I presume that the earth is not flat, but I can never be 100% sure.

• cofty
    cofty

Epistemological skepticism is mind-numbingly boring.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

The humility the Watchtower Organization calls for is one where you put your own thoughts and or doubts aside and totally believe whatever they tell you. Humility comes into play again when later they change their teachings and you are required to humbly forget what they said was true before and accept the new truth and never bring it up again.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Mr Fool, meet Cofty...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit