Rudds new asylum seeker policy

by barry 110 Replies latest jw friends

• smiddy
    smiddy

Does anybody in the world really care what happens in australian politics ? just curious

smiddy

• mP
    mP

@Julia

They are not criminals. What they do is, the entire extended family gets all their resources together to send just one person.

MP:

So how does the average Afghan who earns $500 a year manage to save $300k to pay government officials and smugglers to cross 10 country borders ?

Julia

These families are dirt poor but they'll work, save, sell and hock for years to raise the money.

mP:

How does someone manage to save 50 years worth of salary in full. Thats an impossible task. Nobody can save that much. Theamount those people pay to get over there is the equivalent of us saving $5M to get our families to some other imaginery country. $30K per person might not sound like a difficult sum for us, but when you earn 500$ a year its an impossible figure unless you are a criminal of some sort.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Btw I'm not favouring Rudd over Howard...just for the record. I'm still so fresh out of the wt I haven't developed much of political opinion, except for where it affects education and health, like that douche Campbell Newman. I will say however, that when Howard had been in for years the state schools were shabby and under resourced. 6 years later after a few years of the other guys, I returned to teaching and was amazed at how the schools had been fixed up and had all loads of resources for our children. True story.

• mP
    mP

Julia

6 years later after a few years of the other guys, I returned to teaching and was amazed at how the schools had been fixed up and had all loads of resources for our children. True story.

mP:

You do realise builders all over the place were scamming the government charging outrageous amounts for their work. Sure the schools got new buildings, but somebody has to pay the bills. Its not fair to overpay contractors and leave the bills to those same kids when they grow up. its also not honest to avoid or ignore the rort that resulted in this collosal mismanagement.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Mp: do they all go via that route? The comparable stories I've read by North Korean refugees and others suggest it's a few hundred or thousands to cross multiple borders. And some borders are porous too: I remember seeing a documentary in which the crew slipped illegally in and out of countries where the borders are more remote to film. Single travellers slip across borders all the time in this way. Point is, not all these people are crooks. I don't doubt there are crooks, but there are more than just Afghanis from goat herding villages. Some come from towns where they can raise more money. Other countries also have higher earnings, though certainly not enough to call them well off, but enough to move a single person of a family of 30.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Qld government didn't need contractors for the schools. They have their own builders, and could pay them with the federal government money. I can't speak for the other states.

It would be a generalisation to say ALL work done on schools was overpriced or flim flam. Some would have been such as when some people hiring contractors to do renovations to their houses get rorted. Sometimes it happens but most times it doesn't. Likewise with the schools...

Generalisations are like Jw black/white thinking.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Voters make the mistake of looking at personalities and not policies.

Sure, Kevin Rudd is popular with voters ( who could be his successor )

Whereas Tony Abbott does not have that same charisma ( who could be his successor )

Leaderships change , that should be bleeding obvious by now

Its the policys of the party that should govern who you vote for ,not the popularity of the present leader of that party

Dont vote for Kevin Rudd because he is the most popular leader , look at the labour policys. and their past record

Dont give Tony Abbott your no vote because you dont like him ,look at the liberals policys and their past record

Just saying

smiddy

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Good points, but our society is obsessed with celebrity so anyone who can tap into that will get the votes. Because Julia Gillard was spook charismatic...puke.

• mP
    mP

Julia

Mp: do they all go via that route? The comparable stories I've read by North Korean refugees and others suggest it's a few hundred or thousands to cross multiple borders. And some borders are porous too: I remember seeing a documentary in which the crew slipped illegally in and out of countries where the borders are more remote to film. Single travellers slip across borders all the time in this way. Point is, not all these people are crooks. I don't doubt there are crooks, but there are more than just Afghanis from goat herding villages. Some come from towns where they can raise more money. Other countries also have higher earnings, though certainly not enough to call them well off, but enough to move a single person of a family of 30.

mP:

Just look at a globe and plot the travels of these peoples. Many of these boat poeople come from places that require one to cross many many borders. Travel, food, and so on are not free. My original question still remains even if they only have to pay the last leg of the tour how exactly does a poor Afghan manage to buy 4 boat tickets at $30K each ? These people almost never only have 2 kids, thats part of the problem when you come from a third world country. You are poor because you have too many kids. Im not judging them im only stating facts.

So how exactly does a poor Afghan manage to save $120K when they earn $1 a day back at home ?

I can ony think of one answer. They cant be poor humble farmers. The poor humble farmers in Afghanistan would not even know of Australia, they cant read, have no internet and so on. These people must be the rich who exploit the poor. I cant see any other possibility. Of course if im wrong explain how humble farmers with no electricity know about all these benefits and care in Australia ?

• smiddy
    smiddy

@ smiddy: what about Tampa? Children overboard? Nauru set up? These all happened during john howard's reign, so the problem is ongoing...

How many people died at tampa ? How many children were overboard ? and died ? Kevin Rudd dismantled a workable system and what we have today is the result.

Sure ,their were problems with john Howards reign (liberals) however can you honestly equate that with the thousands that have arrived by boat , the thousand or so who have died at sea , men women and children ,and the thousands in detention since Kevin Rudd /Julia Gillard took office ?

I rest my case

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit