Let's Hate on TV

by Satanus 32 Replies latest jw friends

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I hate what the History Channel and MTV have become.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

I am not real keen on most of the popular programs and I rarely if ever watch any news. The closest thing to news that I watch is The Colbert Report.

I also love watching sport, especially at the times when I would have usually been at a meeting, witnessing, or doing some other JW related chore.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I noticed when I went to the USA hag the news coverage was very fragmented and did not have any deep commentary or analysis of important developments or indeed much international content. I found it to be not like news at all, and now I understand whe many Americans seem to be unaware of what is happening in other countries, or even much about them. I believe the news services are mostly pretty focused on trivial things. You get that here too, but the non commercial channels here give you all the analysis, interviews with experts and non-sensational, balanced coverage.

Try websites like BBC and AlJazeera, if it's not still blocked by your government, for good news coverage.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Mrfreeze

Have you checked out h2? I don't remember on which channel it is. Agree w you on mtv.

S

• bohm
    bohm

Hate programs that star a bunch of C-list celebrities to do something stupid.

Hate programs about houses and or gardens. (like 50% of everything over here)

Commercials.

The way stupid shit on facebook, twitter is used as news.

• talesin
    talesin

I didn't have TV for years before I injured my foot and got housebound. It's mind-numbing crap. Some shows I find entertaing, like Jeopardy, and some of the AMC ones (Breaking Bad, Mad Men) ... can't wait till I can 'get a life' ,,,, get out of the house, and say buh-bye to TV!

News? What news? Oh, you mean infotainment, feel-good charity promotions (Walk for this, Run for that) and salacious disaster depictions... yeah, I agree.

Another thing that ticks me off ............ it's not enough that they make billions of dollars off advertising ... I can't even get TV without PAYING THE CABLE COMPANY ........ NOT EVEN THE CBC. And that's just wrong!

xo

tal

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

There are a few good things, but yes, a lot of it is crap. In my opinion, the networks are only interested in ratings and advertisers, so I don't believe in some conspiracy. It's not like we don't have the internet, there is no way to control that. They put out what people watch. If people stopped watching it, they would change it or put on something else faster than you can say "if it bleeds, it leads". I watch CBS news with Scott Pelly, I think it's not bad. For more in depth reporting you are better off reading the paper or a good news magazine anyway.

I hate commercials, they are so loud, especially because my husband is a bit hard of hearing, and turns it up kind of loud to begin with, then the commercial comes on and its way louder, I feel like I am being shouted at. I am sensitive to noise, so I end up having to use earplugs.

We tend to not watch it on the weekend, it's either Netflix or we just turn it off and read a book.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

If we are fortunate we get ONE life, IF we are lucky!!

if we are really lucky we may live out our expected life years, maybe 70 or 80 if we are REALLY lucky.

The universe will move on, just as it has on people of old, even the greats like the Caesars or the humbled like Egyptian slaves, time waits for no man, no woman, no dog, no cat, not even gerbils...... Time is spent as quickly as one can imagine it being spent, as you muse that now, your clock ticks away the countdown to the inevitable.

I dont think this is depressing, morose or melancholic, I think it is refreshing and empowering. Turn the tv off and do what you want to do, there is no second go......

• Hummingbird001
    Hummingbird001

Did you know "Pregnant and Dating" is an actual show?

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Yes, also " My daughter and I are pregnant at the same time" . What has been seen cannot be unseen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit