Let's Hate on TV

by Satanus 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

Perhaps, you're a fan of tv, perhaps, you're not. Maybe, you like some aspects of it and not others.

My favorite tv hates are 'news', and commercials. I always mute the commercials. Some ads i find disgusting are the feebreaze ones, where they blindfold people and set them down in the midst of garbage. There are other disgusting ones, that is just one example.

What passes for news is, isn't news in the old fashioned sense of a fair coverage of what is going on the world, as it is an organ of the big corps and govts to direct the peoples' attentions to where and what those corps and govts want. Then, also, to apply the correct view/attitude of those corps and govts to those 'news'.

As well, lastly, the news corps need ratings. And so, they are greatful for every calamity which has the potential for broad appeal. They exploit those calamities in order to maximize their air time and ratings.

My relationship w tv is love hate. I love a lot of the history, nature, techno and diy programs. Also, some of the movies. If i didn't need tv, i wouldn't have anything to say about this subject.

S

• Simon
    Simon

I hate the endless repetition of the same news or when they tell you "breaking news" that you read online 3 days earlier and they only just found.

The other thing I despise is people's tweets as "news". I could give a crap what some celebrity thinks of something that's actually important, especially when it's 140 characters.

What happened to proper reporting and informative analysis? now it's just soundbites and retweets of someone elses drivel.

• MissMyHarley
    MissMyHarley

Fox News!!!! Commercials really do suck. Love House of Cards. TV is great but can a drag. Total agreement.

• Glander
    Glander

Started to watch Game of Thrones after hearing all the hype. Season one, episode 1. Got halfway through it. Over the top gore, lots of nekkid girls and simulated sex. Topped off with a bunch of pretentous old English dialogue. Cheesy

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

I have always had a love hate relationship with TV. Then the DVR came out so I could skip the commercials. In the last year or more I noticed I didn’t really watch anything but local channels and HBO/SHOWTIME when certain series were on. I figured why pay 65 to 100+ a month for local channels and the occasional Dexter or Boardwalk Empire. I canceled satellite and picked up HULU Plus and Netflix. And I discovered VUDU which have all the series for me to buy at $2 an episode or $23 a season. Dexter and all the other series I’d watch are there on VUDU.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Those are good hates. Keep em coming.

At a friends' place, i saw that w the 'news'. Its like soap opera.

GOT - 'Over the top gore, lots of nekkid girls and simulated sex.'

Nothing worse than simlated sex:) Don't like gore, iether. A little realistic violence/action w either martial arts or cool weapons is great - ala the first matrix.

S

• Satanus
    Satanus

Dazed - thanks for that on vudu.

S

• Scully
    Scully

All the tripe shows on TLC (formerly known as The Learning Channel), and particularly all those stupid bridal competition shows, wedding dress drama, ProstaTots (Toddlers in Tiaras) and my biggest hate of all: Honey Boo Boo.

Just a flash of a Honey Boo Boo commercial makes me feel bad for the brain cells I've killed in the process.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Honeybooboo. O god, i just happened to stumble across a bit of that. I also had significant brain loss in just seconds:(

• Twitch
    Twitch

Haven't had TV for a few years now. Don't really miss it, maybe the odd show or special on cable. Never cared for primetime or sports. I usually browse news online now

My movie collection has grown however...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit