My Study: "Did a 'Governing Body' govern Paul?"

by Doug Mason 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

leaving_quietly,

I focused my Study from the viewpoint of Paul. I touch slightly on Acts but I deliberately did not feature the aspects you mention. Mostly, I wrote that Acts is suspect, and is treated with caution by scholars with some avoiding it altogether.

I have left myself room to work on a Study of Acts of the Apostles by Luke because it plays a central role in the Governing Body's claims and demands (such as on blood).

So I think the issue is far larger than focusing on a particular turn of phrase. Let me briefly explain: Luke wrote a created history with the objective of papering over the cracks between the gentile work of Paul and his opposite number, the Jewish sector under the control of Jesus' brother, James.

Luke's objectives remove his objectivity. For example, Paul - who was there, but of course biased - wrote that he had two private meetings with Cephas and James. Luke expanded this to a mighty convention. Another example: Paul indicates he was in Damascus persecuting (which could have been arguing or physical Jewish punishment) when he "saw the light"; he went to Arabia, and returned to Damascus. He says he saw no one for 3 years and only then did he got to Jerusalem. He stayed with Cephas for 15 days, had private meetings and he also saw James. Luke, on the other hand, contradicts Paul.

Only after looking at the big picture can we then understand any statements made by Luke. He was not a companion of Paul's; Acts was written decades after Paul's death. At the start of his Gospel, Luke says that his account was gained through gathering information. Who knows what stories people told him.

Doug

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Vanderhoven7,

Thanks for that list of sources, especially as you have given them chronologically. I will mull over them.

I have not done the research, but it would also be interesting to look at "appointment" (rather than "anointed"). When did the concept first arise in the WTS and what was the context?

I have made one failed attempt at turning the 1927 WT article into an OCR file; I will make another attempt.

If these guys were appointed by Jehovah God and his son, how come they knew nothing about it at the time and maybe not for decades later? Did Jehovah forget to mention it to them?

Doug

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Phizzy,

Thanks for that 1973 quote. The date ties in neatly with the list of quotations given in the post by Vanderhoven7, which appears immediately after yours.

Maybe the idea had its conception in 1972 and its birth in 1973?

Doug

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Phizzy and Vanderhoven7,

I reckon you guys are spot on.

When I looked at the WT Library CD, I gained the very clear impression that the idea of the 1919 inspection was highly likely introduced with the 1973 publication, "God' Kingdom of a Thousand Years Has Approached". Look at pages 331-363 (and pages 349-356 in particular).

It took some 54 years (1919 to 1973) before they realised, "Hey, Jehovah God had appointed us!".

Doug

• smiddy
    smiddy

WOW , you guys are legend . Their is so much " food at the proper time" to take in here at one sitting . I`ll have to keep coming back over & over again to digest it all.

A great thread, that I hope gets the attention it deserves.

smiddy

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Vanderhoven7,

I finally converted that 1927 Watch Tower article into Word format. It is indeed most interesting, and I might be able to make another use of it. If you would like to see it, contact me by email.

Having seen how Rutherford approached the "Faithful and Wise Servant" it is likely I will need to make some improvement to my description of him. I will need to think about it, since I was trying to reflect how the current GB portrays what happened in 1919, but they were not specific as to the individual(s) concerned.

As I said, I do not want to distract by canvassing all the variant interpretations of those verses in Matt 24. Of course, that is not beyond the realms of possibility. I will think about it; there is no panic, since that point does not impact the thrust of my argument.

The question that arises from Rutherford's article is: "When is the FDS?"

Doug

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

In 1927, Rutherford said that the "Coming" (erchetai) in the parables of the "Talents" and of the "Faithful and wise servant" related to Jesus coming to the temple in 1918. That was the time the "Servant" class was created - comprising Jesus as its head and all spirit-anointed as the body/feet, although it could also refer to Christ alone or to the body/feet alone. It was in this way that Rutherford related the relationship between the "Faithful slave" and 1918. (He also said that the "Evil slave" were those people who had fellowshiped with him but now stood in opposition.)

Whereas Rutherford saw the Coming as a past event, the current WTS leadership says it refers to a future event that is associated with the Great Time of Trouble and Armagedon. Obviously then, they cannot relate the "Coming" to the setting up of the FDS. Rutherford's coming was an invisible action taking place in the heavenly temple, the current WTS teaching is completely visible, even violent.

The date of 1919 appears to first arise in the very early 1970s. At that time, and until 2013, the evolving Governing Body was a representative of the FDS class - the "spirit-anointed", little flock of 144,000. As I have said, Rutherford also saw it as a class.

However, from October 2012, and as announced in the July 15, 2013 Watchtower, the GB has expressly stated that it now limits the expression to itself.

Until 1930 at least, Rutherford's Presence (parousia) was confidently fixed at 1874.

Doug

• mP
    mP

A better question is, did Paul exist or is his entire story completely bullshit and impossible.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

UPDATE:

I have reviewed and rewritten one Chapter of my Study.

The updated Version 2 is available at:
    http://www.jwstudies.com/Did_a__Governing_Body__govern_Paul__Part_1_-_The_Study_.pdf

The updated Chapter is available at:
    http://www.jwstudies.com/Updated_chapter_Did_a_Governing_Body_govern_Paul.pdf

It shows how and when the Watchtower Society's Governing Body was created.

I will repeat this at a new Thread to ensure all have the opportunity to see this.

Doug

PS. Thanks, Vanderhoven7

• prologos
    prologos

Peter ( a supposed member of the early GB) is recorded to have said about Pauls writings:

2 Peter 3:16 "--In them --- some things HARD to understand--"

a parallel with the Governing body today, they seem to have a hard time to understand what free, learned minds on the outside are writing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit