My Study: "Did a 'Governing Body' govern Paul?"

by Doug Mason 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Vanderhoven7,

While searching for details of the persons who were "appointed" in 1919, keep in mind that you are not searching for the precise expression "faithful and discreet slave". It is probable that that term did not appear until they released their NT in 1950. Before then, they could have used the expression as it appears in the KJV or similar.

The following from Wikipedia provides some clues - although lacking details - which might provide a guide where to search:

"The doctrine has undergone several major changes since it was formulated in 1881 by Charles Taze Russell, founder of the Bible Student movement. Russell initially applied it to the "church"—the "little flock" of 144,000 who would go to heaven—but five years later explained that it was an individual who would act as a sole channel or agent for Christ, dispensing "food", or new truths, for God's "household". Bible Students consequently regarded Russell as the "faithful and wise servant" of the parable.

"In 1927 the Watch Tower Society announced that the "servant" was not in fact an individual, but was made up of the entire body of faithful spirit-anointed Christians; by 2010 that group numbered about 11,000 Witnesses from around the world. In 2012 the society announced an "adjustment" of the doctrine, explaining that the slave was now understood to be synonymous with the Governing Body, a small group of anointed elders serving at the religion's world headquarters. The announcement also marked a change in belief about the timing of the slave class's appointment by Christ: it was said to have taken place in 1919 rather than in apostolic times, as previously believed." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faithful_and_Discreet_Slave accessed 19 July 2013)

------------------------------

Do not be misled by their readjustments of history. When did they realise they had been appointed in 1919? Had they gone through life before then without realising they had received the most royal of appointments?

Doug

• Vanderhoven7
  • Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Vanderhoven7,

Thanks for those links.

I have just been reading the article in the February 15, 1927 Watchtower. Most interesting; when you read it you will need to bypass the unnecessary verbage. Pages 55 to 57 in particular are interesting.

I think that Rutherford's shift from CTR being the individual "faithful and wise servant" to a "class" that was the feet of Christ was a major factor in his losing most of the followers. The other major factor of course related to Rutherford dropping the pyramid measurements.

The dates in this 1927 article focus on 1874 (parousia) and 1918 (erchomenon - coming).

Doug

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Vanderhoven7,

I was thinking about this - apologies for being a slow thinker, but that's life.

I don't know how recent this "appointment in 1919" idea actually is, but the context in my mind is the July 15, 2013 Watchtower magazine. I had just written a Study on that issue of the magazine but I had omitted discussion on one subject: the GB itself. That, I reasoned, required a separate Study, which is what I produced during the ensuing weeks.

So my statement regarding 1919 has to be seen in the context of this latest list of amended WTS ideas. I could have discussed the changes that have been made to the idea of the FDS, but that would have been an unprofitable distraction.

Maybe I could amend my text to say that this is their current teaching, but I wonder if that would that be of any benefit?

I looked at the 1963 "Babylon" book to see what it (I presume Fred F.) had to say about the date: it was the year when the prison doors were opened; the year when Babylon fell; and it was the year when the remnant of the 144,000 began to be freed. Nothing about any "Appointment"; nothing about any "Governing Body" that I could see.

As I wrote previously, that 1927 Watchtower magazine, in talking about the "Faithful and wise servant" provides no thoughts about 1919. I will try to create a text file of the relevant parts of that article - but no promises.

Doug

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I wonder when the first mention of the appontment in 1919 of the FDS, or Wise Servant actually was ? all I can find is later references to it in terms of "evidently" this occurred, nowhere can I find it spelled out plainly as a teaching in the decade or so after 1919.

How strange, to be approved and appointed, but not know it ! How could "it" function in the role with no knowledge of the appointment ?

Is this the first instance of it being spelled out ? as late as 1973 ?

1919 "TIME OF INSPECTION BY THE SLAVE'S MASTER .. Without a question of doubt, it was a real time for inspection of the Master's 'slave' class. All the facts of the case argue that the Master came for the work of inspection at the time. Such a thing was to be expected according to the prophecy of Malachi 3:1-5. Of course, the sectarian churches of Christendom had made a wartime record for themselves, an open record that had a heavy bearing on their claim to be disciples and slaves of Jesus Christ. Could they, by even their latest record down till 1919, prove that they themselves were the composite 'faithful and discreet slave' class of the heavenly Lord and Master, Jesus Christ? He as Judge would indicate what his findings were by the way he thereafter dealt with the hundreds of religious sects of Christendom." {Frederick Franz: God's Kingdom of a Thousand Years has Approached, 1973 pg. 349}

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Doug,

The following is from a thread or two I had copied a while back.

"On arriving to inspect the 'slave' in 1918, Christ found a spirit-anointed remnant of faithful disciples who since 1879 had been using this journal and other Bible-based publications to provide spiritual 'food at the proper time.' He acknowledged them as his collective instrument, or 'slave,' and in 1919 entrusted them with the management of all his earthly belongings." - WT April 4, 2007 p. 22 par. 5

Interesting that they refer to the SLAVE as a "spirit-anointed remnant" and as a "collective instrument" when the truth is that in 1918-1919 CT Russell was believed to the "FDS" all by his little, ol' lonesome self. No others need apply. Nothing like a little revisionist history!

Watchtower May 15, 1951 page 303

Inspection year : 1918 Result : Failed Inspection

Actual text: During the years of the first world war, 1914 to 1918, the remnant of spiritual Israel came under Jehovah’s displeasure . His kingdom by his Christ had been born in the heavens in 1914, at the end of the “appointed times of the nations” that year; but, under the great stress of persecution, oppression and international opposition during those war years reaching a climax in 1918, God’s anointed witnesses failed and their organization experienced a breakup and they came under captivity to the world system of modern Babylon.

Watchtower November 1,1955 page 633

Inspection year : 1918 Result : Passed Inspection

Actual Text: Since coming into his kingdom in 1914 and since coming to the temple in 1918 for the judgment first of the “house of God,” he has found this remnant of dedicated, anointed Christians doing what they were appointed to do . So he has done to them what he promised: “Truly I say to you, He will appoint him over all his belongings.”—Matt. 24:45-47, NW.

Watchtower January 15, 1960 page 47

Actual Text: This slave is quite unlike the watchmen of Christendom that love to slumber. (Isa. 56:10) The “slave ,” namely, the composite body of the remnant of Jehovah’s anointed, dedicated sons on earth today, is wide-awake to his Kingdom privileges, and diligently obeys his Master, Christ Jesus. He happily greeted the Master when he arrived in 1918 to judge professing Christians. It was at this time of inspection that the Master declared: “Well done, good and faithful slave ! You were faithful over a few things. I will appoint you over many things. Enter into the joy of your master.” (Matt. 25:21)

Watchtower February 1, 1972 page 79

Actual text: The Naomi remnant came into a condition like that, particularly in the year 1918 , when they were, in a sense, exiled from Jehovah God’s favor. In that year Jehovah God came to his temple suddenly, accompanied by the messenger of the covenant, the Lord Jesus Christ. He examined the remnant here upon earth; he was displeased with them . (Mal. 3:1, 2) For a time they were not fully accepting the challenge of Jehovah’s Kingdom service that had opened up to them. They were holding back, through fear of man and were not properly keeping themselves “unspotted from the world.” (Jas. 1:27, Authorized Version) Therefore Jehovah let them go into bondage to Babylon the Great and her political associates.

God’s Kingdom of a Thousand Years Has Approached (1973) page 231

Inspection year : 1919 Result : Failed Inspection

Actual Text: The parable of the “talents” pictured that when the traveller returned from abroad he would settle accounts with them. This meant an inspection of them. Quite logically, with that turn of events in the spring of 1919 , it would be the due time for the heavenly “master of those slaves” to inspect them . But what account could they render with respect to his “talents” that had been committed to the slave class? Any increase that they may have gained prior to the climax of wartime persecution in 1918 seemed to have been wiped out . They were as if they had no figurative “talents” in their possession at all .

Yearbook 1975 page 87

Actual Text: Jehovah and his “messenger of the covenant,” Jesus Christ, came to inspect the spiritual temple in 1918 C.E. Judgment then began with the “house of God” and a period of refining and cleansing commenced .

Watchtower September 15, 1983 page 20

Inspection year : 1919 Result : Passed Inspection

Actual Text: Since the “master” found the remaining ones of this body faithfully and discreetly giving out “food supplies” when he arrived for inspection in 1919 , he appointed them “over all his belongings.”

Watchtower March 15, 1990 page 14

Actual Text: In 1918, when Jesus Christ inspected those claiming to be his slaves, he found an international group of Christians publishing Bible truths for use both inside the congregation and outside in the preaching work.

Watchtower May 1, 1993 page 17

Actual Text: From the time Christ’s presence began and down to 1918, the slave class , despite unpopularity, persecution, and even some confusion, had been seeking to give timely food to the domestics . This is what the Master found when his inspection began .

Isaiah’s Prophecy II (2001) page 396

Actual Text: In the modern-day fulfillment of these prophecies, there was an important spiritual development in 1918 in connection with Jehovah’s worship. Jehovah and Jesus evidently made an inspection of all of those claiming to represent pure worship. That inspection led to the final casting off of corrupt Christendom. For Christ’s anointed followers , the inspection meant a brief period of refinement followed by a swift spiritual restoration in 1919.—1 Peter 4:17.

Watchtower March 1, 2004 page 17

Inspection year : 1918 & 1919 Result : Passed Inspection

Actual Text: Of course, the majority of those who were to become Christ’s anointed slaves during the time of the end were not yet serving Jehovah when Jesus began his inspection in 1918. Did they miss out on the inspection? Not at all. The inspection process only began in 1918/ 19 when the faithful and discreet slave as a class passed the test.

Watchtower January 15, 2008 page 24

Actual Text: When Christ inspected the “slave” in 1918, he found those anointed ones on earth to be faithful in providing spiritual “food at the proper time .” Hence, Jesus, the Master, was pleased thereafter to appoint them “over all his belongings.” (Read Matthew 24:45-47.)

Note: Regarding the references above where the Watchtower failed Jesus' inspection, it’s important to keep in mind that no “refinement” or “cleansing” o even “displeasure from Jehovah” is even remotely mentioned in the references where the Watchtower is shown to have passed this so-called inspection (by supposedly “publishing Bible Truths” or “doing what they were appointed to do”).

The whole point of this thread is to simply show any lurkers out there that the so-called “Faithful & Discreet Slave” has a very long history of making things up as they go along. In fact, there is absolutely no Biblical basis for this whole concocted notion that the WT was somehow chosen after a divine examination of all religious denominations

• mP
    mP

phizzy

I think we do well to differentiate between the "genuine" writings of Paul, and those later ones purporting to be by him, which were obviously written with a later view and agenda.

I often wonder how much the real Paul knew about Jesus of Nazareth, or really cared, it seems to me as though he was convinced that the voice he heard, and the later visions, were direct from a heavenly Messiah, that was who he was concerned with, not the man who the cult was based on.

Interesting to ponder what exactly that late first century melting pot of beliefs and burgeoning "Christian" movements was like.

Certainly the mid to late 1st Century christians were not a single group, and none of them were anything like the WT of today, as JW's would have us believe they were.

mP:

even if we look at just the accepted 8 letters of p, he does tell us he was a busy traveller. How exactly did the letters of troubles or concerns find him if he moved so often ? It would take many many servants from a major establishment to control the network of churches that he claims. His presented humble origins dont add up.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Vanderhoven - The quotes you gave from all the articles with failed or passed was brilliant. Thank you for that.

• besty
    besty

great work doug

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Thanks, Doug, looking forward to reading it, particularly your views on Acts 21:25 where it says "rendering our decision", when in Acts 15:19, James says "my decision". The use of the word "decision" seems appropriate, for the Greek word does carry that meaning, as it also does "judgement". I think that if Acts 21:25 did not say that, WTS would not have any leg to stand on. It can easily be proved that Paul went to Jerusalem at the behest of holy spirit (if not Christ himself, but the Bible doesn't say, only as a result of a revelation), not to get a decision, but to tell the apostles and older men how things actually were. Anyway, looking forward to reading your study.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit