Sparlock and memories of childhood

by Laika 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Laika
    Laika

When I was about 6/7 there was a talk that made reference to the violence of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. When we got home, all my TMNJ figures were packed up into a plastic bag and put away in the loft. At least they weren't thrown in a wheelie bin.

When I was about 13 there was a local needs (Yes, a WHOLE talk) on the evils of Pokemon, complete with the statement that Pokemon was short for pocket demons (not true) No more Pokemon Blue for me.

I remember explaining to my PE (Gym) teacher, in front of my whole class, that I could not play for the football (soccer!) team as he had asked because they played Saturday morning and I had to go out on Service.

I am sure I remember each and every time I was invited to a school friend's house, or worse, a birthday party. 'No, sorry I can't...'

Sitting in the library whilst the other kids sang Christmas carols.

Having to spend a week studying on my own whilst the rest of my entire class was on a trip to France, because my parents couldn't guarantee that I wouldn't be given blood if something were to happen to me.

What did the bastards rob from your childhood?

• sd-7
    sd-7
    When I was about 6/7 there was a talk that made reference to the violence of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. When we got home, all my TMNJ figures were packed up into a plastic bag and put away in the loft. At least they weren't thrown in a wheelie bin.
    When I was about 13 there was a local needs (Yes, a WHOLE talk) on the evils of Pokemon, complete with the statement that Pokemon was short for pocket demons (not true) No more Pokemon Blue for me.

Wow, what a shame. We watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles all the time, had all the action figures, all of that. I played the heck out of Pokemon when I was in college and watched all the movies. Sorry to hear that.

I didn't feel much deprived of anything as far as entertainment. My mom was pretty liberal. She only recently figured out that Zelda had magic and demons in it, but we played those games for decades and I kinda always knew there was magic and demons in it, but it was a whole lot of fun because you got to use magic to kill demons. Talk about a paradox. Apparently Satan can expel Satan, so take that, Jesus!

Hmm. I didn't feel deprived in part because I went along with it out of fear and sincerely believed it was right if my mom made a choice about stuff like that for the most part. It was mostly on girls that we clashed, and even then very rarely, since I got rejected most of the time anyway.

Never knew what the holidays were like, vague memories at best. Never wanted to play on a sports team or join a club. Girls at school wanted me to consider going to the senior prom, but I knew my mom would never allow that so I didn't even broach the subject with her, much less try to go. Not that any girl asked me to take her to the prom--I was a pretty weird person back then, in my opinion--just sayin'.

I think the robbery was more so of my self-esteem and my ability to say no to people without feeling guilty about it. That's at least as bad as losing your favorite toy on account of the WT.

--sd-7

• Laika
    Laika
    sd-7: I think the robbery was more so of my self-esteem and my ability to say no to people without feeling guilty about it.

Oh yes, I still struggle massively with this. I've got significantly better in the last 6 months but overcoming decades of guilt is, I imagine, going to be a long process. That is certainly worse than losing your toys though I think it can be a contributing factor!

• cantleave
    cantleave

The policies are derived to isolate children. We were made to act and feel different to other kids in School. I used to hate sitting outside assemblies, making excuses for not doing xmas and birthday activities, I even hated walking from the coach that drove us to Twickenham or Dorking in a suit and tie whilst the other kids in my estate were playing footy. I spent my childhood feeling conspicuous, but that was the intention. Control, Control Control.

• talesin
    talesin

Laika,

I grew up in a very strict JW family. No school sports, no friends, and actually got taken out of school at age 14 because I had amazing opportunities and my parents (mother, to be honest) wanted me completely under their control.

It is an huge loss! Grieve it NOW, yes,,, cry,, shout! Vent! That is part of the healing process. We were deprived of a healthy upbringing, yes. Now, it is in *your* hands --- take the steps to heal. You can overcome this, and go on to lead a life of fulfillment. Rip the wounds open, and they will drain,,, heal them. Grieve your lost childhood,,, and then, you will be able to move on.

You are not alone.

xo

tal

• likeabird
    likeabird

Do you really want to get me started on this? I'm still discovering more stuff I missed as a kid

Let's see...

No birthday parties

Explaining to friends why birthdays were bad

No eating at school

Telling friends why I couldn't accept their Christmas present or even their card

Placing a Creation book on my desk at school hoping people would notice

Telling science teacher they should teach creation in their class

Not going on school trips if they were out of school hours, even if only a day trip. (Who knows what naughties ten year olds can get up to on a bus)

Longer school trips - out of the question (Again told ten year olds could be quite horny!)

Refusing to salute the flag in front of everyone

Making snowmen instead of Santas at school

Making something else for any of those pagan cards, including Mothers Day cards

Being in tears when did one of them and found out later wasn't supposed to

No school plays, had to sit and watch everyone rehearse and dress up - couldn't even help make the costumes

No school assemblies and sometimes even no religious education classes or sex education classes

No vaccinations

No swearing

No studying anything that went against certain 'values'

Constantly being asked by classsmates why not doing any of the above

No after-school sports

No going to friends houses

All friendships stopped at the school gate

Having to knock on classmates doors on Saturday mornings

No Saturday morning TV - ever - not once

No smurfs and several other popular toys - the more popular it was, the more likely it was demonised

No Scooby-Doo

No Food Cake or anything with 'questionable' names

No nothing with a hint of violence, magic or all the rest

No prom

No graduation

No university (despite top grades)

What's the worst of it all? Just like poor little Caleb, I too was never told I couldn't do any of that. It was all 'my' decision.

And I wasn't even in an ultra dubby family. Or so I thought.

• Mum
    Mum

Thank you for reminding me of what a wonderful childhood I had! I didn't become a JW until I was a teenager, and my parents were "nonbelievers."

I lived with my grandparents until I was 11 years old, but would visit with my parents sometimes. My sister lived with my parents and visited us sometimes. My grandparents were gentle, sweet and kind and loved children. My parents were uneducated (by choice, whereas my grandparents had to leave school to work on the farm) and believed in beating us with a belt any time we got on their nerves, unrelated to right and wrong.

But I was still lucky compared to JW kids who got beaten and then didn't get to celebrate Christmas or play with "worldly" kids and other nonsense.

• Laika
    Laika
    Refusing to salute the flag in front of everyone

Ah likeabird! Being a Brit I never had to deal with that one, it must have been horrible.

I'd actually say my parents were quite moderate, it was only when toys/games were specifically mentioned on the platform were they banned. So even though I lost my TMNT, I still got to keep my Action Men, and even though I lost Pokemon I could still play Zelda like sd-7.

But even the most liberal JW upbringing is extremely conservative to an outsider.

• Sammy Jenkis
    Sammy Jenkis

Birthdays were the worst I think, I remember all the way up through high school having to sit isolated from the class as they had delicios cake and/or cupcakes.

Pokemon was trashed too, all my bro's superhero posters were trashed one time, a bunch of shit. But my little bro and I were rebels from the beginning, we watched R-rated movies whenever we could, would sneak episodes of anything awesome when mom wasn't around, oh and Harry Potter was heavily frowned upon but that was okay because I didn't really like him that much.

We though that Rated- "R" meant the movie was going to be "really" good until I entered my teen years and became a religious douche. One time I made my brother destroy his copy of the movie Superbad, when I swallowed the kool-aid I really did become kind of an ass.

The WTBTS stole my childhood from me, ruined my family and its relationships with extended family, and inflicted severe emotional damage upon my siblings and me.

I watched the Sparlock video and wanted to vomit. Those responsible for its creation deserve spit in their face.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit