Do the WTS actually destroy all of your records if requested?

by Thoughtless 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Thoughtless
    Thoughtless

LOL. Not DF'D/DA'D yet. This was hypothetical, but still. Haha

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Dear krejames, you are right about the law on personal data here in the U.K, and a young DF'd guy I know got his sent to him, even his report from the Ministerial Training School was included, but, significantly not his DFing details.

As he told me, although they are supposed to destroy all the stuff they have on you, there is no follow up here in the U.K to make sure they actually do.

If you could prove they still held stuff they could be fined, but how do you prove it ? and I bet they claim to be "above Caesars Law" in this, they will disclose what they hold on you, but only the minimum of that, and I would wager they destroy nothing. They are like the Nazis in this too.

• krejames
    krejames

Dear krejames, you are right about the law on personal data here in the U.K, and a young DF'd guy I know got his sent to him, even his report from the Ministerial Training School was included, but, significantly not his DFing details. As he told me, although they are supposed to destroy all the stuff they have on you, there is no follow up here in the U.K to make sure they actually do. If you could prove they still held stuff they could be fined, but how do you prove it ? and I bet they claim to be "above Caesars Law" in this, they will disclose what they hold on you, but only the minimum of that, and I would wager they destroy nothing. They are like the Nazis in this too.

Yes Phizzy I agree. (It would be quite nice to see a few fines being thrown in their direction, I think )

• twice shy
    twice shy

Its time

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

No. In Australia, the Privacy Act 1988 regulates that they must destroy anything that is inaccurate about you, but that is all.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Hey Paul, I have read your story about how you got your info back / destroyed...I can only imagine the grief the service dept put you through...and stoopid LK too!

But when you say "anything that is innacurate"...isnt that subjective? Depends on who's point of view and definition of inaccurate? How can the Privacy act help there?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Stuckinarut2- the Privacy Act helps with straightforward issues. For instance, if something inaccurate and defamatory is preventing a person from getting a job. When it comes to the Watchtower, it is a lot more difficult to prove a statement is wrong, or that it is affecting your life. I was advised that if I disagreed with any information they held about me, and it was having a negative affect on my life, the Privacy commissioner could assist in demanding the Watchtower destroy it. I did not pursue it, as most of the information was correct, and having a few lines destroyed would not have made any difference.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It surprises me that you don't hear more examples of people stealing their files from the Kingdom Hall. Ours used to be in the Kingdom Hall in a filing cabinet the library, but maybe they moved since then.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I still have a key to that secret filing cabinet in my old hall!

I could open it anytime I like....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit