Congregation meetings conducted in the prison

by His Excellency 15 Replies latest jw friends

• His Excellency
  • frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I want to barf, especially when he said in this promo:"Jehovah's Witnesses are all about education and improving one's self".

• sd-7
    sd-7

Perhaps the title should be "From a Prison of the Body to a Prison of the Mind".

--sd-7

• humbled
    humbled

I feel sad for this story. the prisoners do need a way to get beyond their bad lives to a mental/spiritual healing. But this is the direction that we all have gone before. It is clear from the faces of these prisoners and the words of Robert that for now they feel good about what they are learning. I remember feeling good too.Until I discovered how against goodness the Organization really was, how crooked it was. These men are riding for a fall when they get out--I suspect while in prison they actually are experiencing the best situation a JW could have-- I believe this is what is called a "contrast gainer" situation.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I spent well over a decade in a congregation that had 2 prisons in it's "territory". The congregation's number of publishers included about 2 dozen prisoners. Our entire service committee went out to the prison twice a week to conduct the book study and watchtower study.

I remember that these elders could never stop talking about their experiences in the prison. It made me really sick. The worst part was that I felt the non-prisoner members of the congregation, the overwhelming majority, suffered because of it.

My bookstudy overseer would come out on Saturdays to conduct our meeting for field service and then leave me to handle everything because he had to go conduct the watchtower study at the prison. That was always inspiring. "Sorry, folks. I'd rather hangout with murderers and baby rapers than you."

Now, here's the best part: The vast majority of these prisoners were all Jehovah's Witnesses BEFORE going to prison.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

In The Kingdom Hall Prison??

• humbled
    humbled

Whoooaaaa!!??? That is some news, truthbknown, about JDubs in prison. I remember the proud statement in a magazine that it was difficult for JW ministers to get into a prison where they had no members to serve--and of course we were told that no JWs committed offenses that got them incarcerated--thus the problem of access to serve their "own". Memory may be serving me poorly here, but an article like that is stuck in my mind. I know better now. JWs do commit crimes but they do it in neck ties or skirts.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

So according to the flick tie wearing seems to be mandatory

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I wonder if they practice disfellowshipping in prison? I didn't notice anyone wearing a beard seems like they are following the cults ridged dress and grooming code.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

This is conflicting. On the one hand, someones life is certainly being improved by having a moral standard they adhere to, where before they maybe did not. The man seems to really care about them. On the other hand, saying JW's are all about education, is dubious at best.

I am not in the JW's only harm others camp, and I think this is a virtue. However, joining a high control group is not the only way out for these guys. I can't say i personalyl am doing naythign to enrich their lives though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit