JWStruggle post: Bethel Layoffs Reveal a Kingdom without Clothes

by Londo111 79 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Londo111
    Londo111

http://www.jwstruggle.com/2013/07/bethel-layoffs-reveal-a-kingdom-without-clothes/

Despite everything, I still have a lingering admiration toward those who serve or have served in Bethel. It is not that I believe it is God’s Organization in any way, shape, or form. I realize that those who do not go to Bethel and awaken, often become “company men”, and can lack empathy for others. However, many of those who served in Bethel went with the best of intentions. They gave the best of their lives. And now to see the Organization turn their backs on these folks is appalling.

As a JW, this was my first clue that the Watchtower kingdom had no clothes…

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

A guy I worked with was asked to leave in the last round of layoffs. He got there when he was 19 and was 56 when he was told to leave with his wife. He was totally distraught, and rightfully so. The problem was that he thought he would get back to his home congregation and people would take care of him. He told me that at first everyone was so excited about them being there but after about 6 months it all wore off and he said he finally realized why the brothers at Bethel always said to pray for those in the congregations.

He had no idea life on the outside was this hard. His wife is complaining about them not having the things they need and he has no experience in anything marketable. I would have no problem if they decided to let him stay and do absolutely nothing - especially since they ruined his life. However, when you no longer have a strong back and you have no degree you are a dirty piece of tissue to them fit for nothing but the garbage.

God would not treat people in such a manner, so why would his chosen organization

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

must be dreadful for these older members being dumped into the "world" what sort of settlement do they get if at all?

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Great article Londo- The WT once again shows itself to be like any other corporation, concerned with the bottom line and saving money. The people are grist for the WT mill and hence disposable.

• Joepublisher1
    Joepublisher1

Stories like this just break my heart - they really do. (I, too, feel like the WTS should keep people like this on-board - I'm sure there's something they can do. To release Bethelites like this - who have been faithful and loyal for decades - is more than cold... it's cruel!)

• sir82
    sir82
    what sort of settlement do they get if at all?

<Chortle>

Settlement?!?!

Here's your "settlement": "Keep warm and well fed, brother, may Jehovah continue to bless you. Don't let the door hit ya on the way out."

• Simon
    Simon

They get left for Satan's evil tax-payer-supported welfare system to take care of.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

sosoconfused:

Even though I fully understand ex-bethelites' horror at how hard things are on the outside, even though they were ignorant at the time, I still do not forgive all the nasty remarks about "materialism" people like myself with a full-time job had to endure! I also remember all the secret gatherings and mutual admiration society among pioneers and bethel-idol-worshippers. I suppose I should just "feel sorry" for them now that they have been kicked into reality.

I wonder just how many times some of these ex-bethelites gave talks in neighboring congregations telling people not to get an education and to "put the kingdom first" and pioneer? While they were sounding "good" and putting the religion's agenda first, just where did they think the money was coming from to support them in their bethel ivory tower??? This money came from hard-working people, that's where. People who were probably criticized for working!! Besides, people only contribute when times are good. Not now.

As for them getting back to their home congregations and thinking "people would take care of them", this is something I would never have done and would have given a polite refusal when the hat was passed around to me. Sorry to break it to everybody, but I wasn't there to support anybody. Especially, somebody like me who was criticized for even working!

As far as I am concerned, the religion owes these people big time. They should be given some kind of settlement.

I wish them the best of success in fending for themselves, just like I do.

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

I definitely agree LHG - When I was there and after leaving I gave those same talks about being materialistic and looked down on people who worked hard. After all I went when I was 19 and had no understanding of the real world. Years later I look back and laugh at my stupidity.

These folks took the bait and never realized that this career path offers no experience or retirement program. I was repeatedly told that any skill I got from Bethel would help me provide for myself if I left. Of course, cleaning mens locker rooms and picking up dog crap in the park across the street from the 25-30 building would have me on the fast track when I left.

• wisdomfrombelow
    wisdomfrombelow

It is very sad that they can get kicked out so easily after so many years of service and being told that they are permanent members of the Bethel family after 5 years. I often wonder when they "count the cost" they ever think about the possible end-result. They understand that at any time that their disfellowshipping would mean being kicked out. If they are married, their spouse being disfellowshipped would also mean them getting kicked out. I would hope those "reassigned" would be kind enough to let the young starry-eyed witnesses know the harsh reality of what can happen so at least the future generations won't be so naive but perhaps it would do no good. All the literature and experiences on the platform give only one side and most young people don't think about getting sick or having any other problems due to reaching out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit