Do you still use Jehovah's name?

by naazira 29 Replies latest jw friends

• naazira
    naazira

when you pray do you still use the name jehovah

i still do

• Sadashivom
    Sadashivom

Jesus presents God as a BENEVOLENT FATHER and asked his listeners to manifest the same quality—doing good for its own sake (not for any reward in return). He said our Heavenly Father “ causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.” And he added: “Be perfect [or whole], therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.” ( Matthew 5:44-48) He also said: “i f you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give GOOD GIFTS!” (Matthew 7:11) “Every good gift and every perfect present comes from the Father of lights,” says another Bible writer. (James 1:17). This idea of God as being the epitome of GOODNESS (Shivam in Sanskrit), runs throughout the Bible: “ How abundant are the GOOD things that you have stored up for those who fear you.” “T aste and see that the Lord is GOOD.” (Psalms 31:19; 34:8 also see J eremiah 31:14) Then comes the shortest sentence in the Bible which is richest in meaning: “ God is [source of] love.” (1 John 4:8) When it says God is love, it uses the Greek word agape for love, meaning principled/unselfish love, which is deep and constant, characterized by constant care, or “UNCONQUERABLE BENEVOLENCE, invincible goodwill,” says Greek Scholar William Barclay. This idea of benevolence is more pronounced in the name ancient Indian Sages coined: Shiva Baba, meaningour MOST BENEVOLENT FATHER. In Sanskrit SHIVA means "benign, kind, pure, auspicious,” and BABA means Father. This accommodates two vital verses in the Bible which reveal His primary attribute, from which a name could be coined.—Isaian 48:17; Mark 10:8.

Permission of multiple languages presupposes various words for this primary attribute, hence various acceptable names in each languages! What is to be remembered is that a name is only a symbol; what is symbolyzed is more important than the symbol.—Ps 138:2.

• grumblecakes
    grumblecakes

I havent prayed in years (since witnessing something gutwrenching and horrific). not sure of anythng regarding dieties anymore. Since 2005, ive thought if there is a god or higher power/entity of any kind, it doesnt give 2 s**ts about us.

• grumblecakes
    grumblecakes

If there was a benevolent father, he...

no, he. no.

no.

• Oculos Aperire
    Oculos Aperire

Personally I am having great difficulty praying at all. After all that I have read and discovered concerning TTATT I am in that difficult and often very confusing position of having to re-evaluate and re-examine everything I have ever been taught and taken as 'truth'. Including God's name.

I no longer know or am certain how to address him. Or if I even have any right to. The Jehovah's Witnesses taught me that I am not His son.. and that Jesus is not my mediator. So that kind of leaves me absolutely nowhere... and with nothing. Spritual limbo I think it's called. That's just how it feels, like I am nothing and nowhere. Alive.. but not quite existing.

• Sammy Jenkis
    Sammy Jenkis

I have ceased praying but I always refer to God as Jehovah, that definitely stuck.

• Watkins
    Watkins

no. The only time is when I say 'Jehovah's Witnesses'. It sounds foreign to me now. I prefer Father. 'Jehovah' is not God's name and it never was. ever. No Israelite ever uttered the word since the 'j' was not even in use until the 14th century. Jesus(Yeshua) taught us to pray and never once used it in his examples, and that's good enough for me.

• Resistance is Futile
    Resistance is Futile

That particular name has become a talisman for some people. It's also a false pronunciation, so why would I use it? Wouldn't it be disrespectful to God to knowingly use a false pronunciation of his name?

• clarity
    clarity

Naz......... a huge welcome to you first of all!

>

I was lied to about all the god stuff, for 50 yrs.

Jw's use this name as a 'trade mark' to promote a cult.

>

I can't bear to use it anymore!

>

Look forward to hearing more from you, keep searching.

>

Sada ..... welcome here also

clarity

• whathappened
    whathappened

No, since leaving Jehovah's Witnesses 2 1/2 yrs ago I have become ab atheist.

If that maniacal genocidal god exists, I don't want a relationship with him anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit