Remember what happened in 2005?

by Terry 24 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

The JW Quotes Settlement Agreement (11 pages) in the case of Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Canada v. Peter Mosier can be download from the JW Leaks web site:

http://jwleaks.org/canada/

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

Does it mention anywhere that the reason for bringing the site down was for embarrasment LOL?

Furthermore, what is very ironic is that you would think that since they have the "truth" it would not matter who copies it and who distributes it. After all the main purpose is just to spread the truth. However when that truth is obviously tainted and the viel of honesty is removed they run to the courts to sak for protection.

Friggin despicable

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I still have a copy of the original site on CD rom somewhere. It was certainly worth keeping!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

it did produce a large amount of simply bizarre teachings they held to years ago

• Scully
    Scully

Sosoconfused

The claim of "embarrassment" was in the actual document instigating the lawsuit, which I found rather amusing actually. I mean, if you are claiming copyright infringement, what's the point of adding "embarrasment" to your suit. Copyright infringement isn't about subjective / emotional results like embarrassment or being made a laughingstock - it's pretty clear-cut, yes-or-no objectively demonstrable.

Clearly the WTS was pissed that their own words were being used to demonstrate, quite effectively, that they were NOT bearers of truth at all, and they were only too happy to use the legal system to bully one really terrific person into silence.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The site consisted almost entirely of Watchtower quotes, so of course that's in excess of fair useage under copyright. It's hard to think of a clearer case of infringement.

• lostonrye
    lostonrye

It seems a Tad odd to me that a Group who goes all out door to door preaching to spread the word should object to and spend thousands of Dollars taking down a Website, which is spreading their words for free!

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

I wonder if copyright infringement means anything when WTBTS lets you download, use, and print information for free? They say they don't want it posted on the internet, but these are people that give their literature away and leave in in phone booths and laundry mats?

• Terry
    Terry

slimboyfat: The site consisted almost entirely of Watchtower quotes, so of course that's in excess of fair useage under copyright. It's hard to think of a clearer case of infringement.

I don't find a flaw in your thinking.

The WT Society chooses to view what they publish a certain way: intellectual property. Okay.

Here is how I see it: the way non-JW's quote the WT publication is EMBARRESSING for a good reason.

By Quoting the contradictions and the clashes with predictions and the dissonances with reality THEY ARE HELD UP TO RIDICULE because

they print RIDICULOUS things.

The WTS doesn't want to be outed as what they really are: phony.

IRONY!

By claiming OWNERSHIP of their printed words they ADMIT they are not the "mouthpiece of Jehovah?" Else those words were His.

Either Jehovah is channeling TRUTH through them or it is just wacky human ideas.

The Society has made a kind of weird science out of cherry-picking quotes to give the appearance of a false reality. There is a kind of karma payback

in the idea that true rendering of their intact quotes could bite them on the butt.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember that there was a time (1970's or before) which the WT society did not copyright the Watchtower or other books? When did they begin to copyright? I remember being told that they thought that since they had the truth they didn't mind having it distributed for them, but then in the '70's, with opposers using information against them they decided to start copyrighting the Watchtower. Am I completely wrong, or does anyone else remember this?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit